• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada making 4,000 jobs available to Jamaicans

Canada making 4,000 jobs available to Jamaicans
    LUKE DOUGLAS, Observer writer
    editorial@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Denis Kingsley (right), Canadian high commissioner to Jamaica, has the attention of (from left), Robert Fine, executive director, Economic Development Commission in Canada; Pearnel Charles, minister of labour and social security; and George Fyffe, general secretary, Bustamante Industrial Trade Union. Occasion was a reception on Friday in honour of delegates from Okanagan College and employers from British Columbia in Canada, who have partnered with the Ministry of Labour and Social Security on its overseas employment initiative.

CANADA will, over the next three years, be making approximately 4,000 jobs available to trained Jamaicans in various fields in the western section of the country.

The announcement was made yesterday following a number of meetings between government officials and Canadian employers over the last few days.

The group of 23 Canadian employers and financiers met yesterday with representatives from the ministries of labour; industry and commerce; and education to shore up the jobs in Western Canada, which they said has been undergoing a development boom.

Yesterday, Labour Minister Pearnel Charles urged interested Jamaicans to get trained and certified in order to take advantage of the opportunities.
    "We have won a global battle to support them (the Canadians) with labour," Charles told the Observer. "We are bringing our training up to be meet their standards, and ensuring that old time discipline among our workers is brought back."

The minister said the jobs were mainly in the construction sector, but there were others in medical and hospitality services as well.
    He said projections were for 1,000 workers for next year, and 500 construction workers by January. Also, 50 practical nurses were being recruited immediately, the minister said.

Michael Patterson, a Jamaican university professor living in Canada who organised the employers' visit, said Western Canada had far greater employment opportunities than Ontario, where most Jamaicans have settled.

"The Okanagan Valley is an employee's paradise; you can get just about any job you want," said Patterson, who has lived in Canada for nine years. "Most Jamaicans concentrate their efforts in going to Ontario, but when you look at what jobs are available there, compared with Western Canada, it's like chalk to cheese."

The Okanagan Valley is a section of British Columbia known for its skiing, fruit orchards and wine production.

Patterson, however, had concerns about the levels of literacy and training of some Jamaicans, but said this problem can be overcome.
    "There is a problem with illiteracy, but I would not say that it's predominant," Patterson said of persons applying for the jobs. "But what was surprising to me was that illiteracy was in the younger population, persons in their 20s."

Charles, meanwhile, said there was hope for skilled workers with poor reading skills, as his ministry and the Ministry of Education were trying to bring them up to speed.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Looks like Omar's hard work is coming to fruition. The JLP has an opportunity to stop the hemoragging with it comes the increasing numbers of our people who are really functionally illiterate. Educators in the USA have complained that too many of our youth from Jamaica are backward, and lack basic skills of reading and writing.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

The irony is that this 'world class' skill and training of their Jamaicans will NOT benefit their country. Shame that the best are being exported.

Another irony is:the government that is encouraging this export of human resource. It's an indication of the poor status of the government.

I have read about remitances(sp). That may be othe ongle trickle-down benefit.
      Last edited by HL; October 23, 2007, 12:40 PM.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Oh BTW:

I was asking Lazie and Maudib if the dinosaur Pernel Charles hair-style (one side white, the other side black) is natural--or artificial. (This post was deleted by the forum powers).

Thanks in advance (Jawge 3:16)
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
          Oh BTW:

I was asking Lazie and Maudib if the dinosaur Pernel Charles hair-style (one side white, the other side black) is natural--or artificial. (This post was deleted by the forum powers).

I cannot answer that! Maybe Sickko would know.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

HL, if a post is deleted by a poster, then subsequent posts (those responding to it) will also be deleted. Don't be so quick to accuse the moderators for deleting posts, although our collective backs are certainly broad enuff!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              Oh BTW:

Yuh know he always had that hairstyle from my days w/ Local Govt. Yuh want to copy it
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Canada making 4,000 jobs available to Jamaicans
                LUKE DOUGLAS, Observer writer
                editorial@jamaicaobserver.com
                Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Denis Kingsley (right), Canadian high commissioner to Jamaica, has the attention of (from left), Robert Fine, executive director, Economic Development Commission in Canada; Pearnel Charles, minister of labour and social security; and George Fyffe, general secretary, Bustamante Industrial Trade Union. Occasion was a reception on Friday in honour of delegates from Okanagan College and employers from British Columbia in Canada, who have partnered with the Ministry of Labour and Social Security on its overseas employment initiative.

CANADA will, over the next three years, be making approximately 4,000 jobs available to trained Jamaicans in various fields in the western section of the country.

Patterson, however, had concerns about the levels of literacy and training of some Jamaicans, but said this problem can be overcome.
                "There is a problem with illiteracy, but I would not say that it's predominant," Patterson said of persons applying for the jobs. "But what was surprising to me was that illiteracy was in the younger population, persons in their 20s.".
                Now, I am very concerned and here I draw a conclusion that our educational sytem is failing the masses, hence there is illiteracy in the younger population, persons in their 20's. "
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                  Now, I am very concerned and here I draw a conclusion that our educational sytem is failing the masses, hence there is illiteracy in the younger population, persons in their 20's. "
                  Talk to Jawge he will assuage your fears... he is the expert on Literacy.

Comment

Working...
                  X