JLP boys slated to take over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLP boys slated to take over

Indications are that the Bruce Golding-led government intends to continue the tradition of appointing activists and supporters of the ruling party to chair crucial boards of public sector companies.

Activist and former shadow spokesman on industry and commerce, Shirley Williams, has replaced O.K. Melhado at Air Jamaica and unconfirmed reports are that her brother, Louis Williams, a close associate of the Prime Minister, is tipped to take over the powerful Urban Development Corporation (UDC) chair.

Reports out of Montego Bay were that John Lynch, senior vice president at Sandals and special assistant to the chairman, Gordon Butch Stewart, is slated to chair the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB). News of the impending appointment of the Jamaican-born American citizen has raised eyebrows in tourism circles. Critics say if Lynch, who is a director of the St. Lucia Tourist Board, is appointed to the JTB, it could raise questions of conflict of interest.

John Issa, the chairman of Superclubs, was the last person actively engaged within Jamaica’s tourism industry to have held chairmanship of the JTB. He was severely criticised and the charge of conflict of interest dogged his administration.

Lynch is a known personality in the industry and has passionately served Sandals’ interest over a long period of time. Wayne Cummings, president of the Jamaica Hotel & Tourist Association (JHTA), another employee of Sandals Resorts, by virtue of his JHTA position, hold automatic membership on the JTB board.

Critics of the JTB say the board must have a much broader mandate and should never be a tool to advance the narrow self-interests of any one grouping in the society. They said the ndustry needs to urgently develop marketing diversity to include the interests of small hotels, attractions, the convention market (into the postponed Montego Bay Convention Centre), and the luxury market for EP Hotels like Ritz Carlton, Half Moon, LXR and Palmyra Resort.

There are also reports that Godfrey Dyer, a past president of the JHTA, will chair the Tourism Enhancement Fund. Dyer, a known JLP supporter, is a voice that has always been calling for principled positions and transparency.

Sources also say Robert Russell, a member of the National Democratic Movement’s (NDM) shadow cabinet under Golding’s leadrship, has been tipped to take over the Tourism Product Development Company (TPDCo).
    Tourism watchers in western Jamaica are asking if John Issa, in the face of the Sandals prominence on the tourist board, will be as silent as his daughter was on the previous board. Also, will Ian Kerr of Sunset Resorts be likewise, out of fear of retaliation from the bigger boys?

http://www.sunheraldjamaica.com/coverstory2.htm
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

So if these people are prominent people in their industry, what is wrong if they are on a board of 6 or 7. Isn't the board suppose to be diverse?

Isn't Shirley Williams qualified?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass tell me this: Has the
      JLP ever done anything wrong? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
        Sass tell me this: Has the
        JLP ever done anything wrong? Thanks.
        No, that would be the PNP.. remember.

Heh, heh.

Comment

Yes they have.

I recently talk about Bruce ranting on Venezuala and the fact that Smith was appointed based on his political long standing and I would have much rather to see Mcmillian. I spoke about Audley Shaw been foolish to make careless promises as he did after hearing it on tape, yes before that I said the nurses needed to play the tape or not make these statement.

That is only in the last few weeks. You want me to go on? I can tell you some of Seaga's mistake. I can't go much further as I wasn't around. I have no problem criticising as I only want to see value for money for the Jamaican people full stop, PNP or JLP.

What now?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

SIGH...get you out of Portland, just cant get the Portland out of you
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

true true, mi proud a it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                SIGH...get you out of Portland, just cant get the Portland out of you
                Yuh tekking cheap shots at my Parish. Tread carefully
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                X