• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wither Hanover's Heroes?

Wither Hanover's Heroes?
    Parish authorities contemplate cenotaph for World War vets

Horace Hines, Observer West reporter
    Thursday, October 18, 2007

Stanley Stair (Inset) A younger Stanley Stair and wife, Dorothy Loiuse, affectionately called 'Aunt Lou'.
    Lucea, Hanover
    President of the Hanover Chamber of Commerce, Theo Chambers, will initiate talks with the relevant authorities in the parish with a view to erecting a cenotaph for the Hanoverians who served in World Wars One and Two.

"I spent six years in the US Air Force in the legal department, so I have that feeling for the veterans and their cause," Chambers told the Observer West.

The issue of the cenotaph follows on complaints by Vietnam War veteran, Balwin Samuels, a Hanoverian who survived the American War in Vietnam.
    Samuels is especially peeved over the local authority's seeming lack of interest in acknowledging the contributions of living legends like 107-year-old Stanley Stair, an infantryman in the British West India Regiment, who survived WW1.

Stair currently resides in Animal Hill, just a stone's throw away from the offices of the Hanover Parish Council.
    World Wars One and Two, regarded by history as the world's deadliest conflicts, resulted in the deaths of over 69 million soldiers and civilians.
    With the exception of Hanover, all the other parish councils have erected cenotaphs in the memory of their citizens who were killed while they fought alongside the British soldiers in both world wars.

As far as Samuels is concerned, the importance of a cenotaph in Hanover cannot be overemphasised, as it symbolises an important chapter in history.
    "I really need all the help I can to get the parish of Hanover to erect a Cenotaph in the memory of Hanoverians who served in WW1 & II because there are many stories coming out of that past that it is important for us to know. Stories like how my wife's grandfather lost both legs to frostbite due to poor treatment by the British," he said.

The history of Jamaican WW1 soldiers is a sketchy affair since their records were destroyed in the London Rocket blitz of WWII. The WW11 records were destroyed in a fire in London.

Meanwhile, chairman of the Jamaica Legion, General Robert Neish, also supports the erection of a cenotaph in Hanover.
    He noted that the parishes of Manchester and Westmoreland were the latest parishes to erect the monument. "I must say I did not know Hanover didn't have one. Certainly we would like to have one in every parish,"the former chief of staff of the Jamaica Defence Force argued.
    "....most of the other ones (erection of cenotaphs) happened right after the second World War, maybe even after the first World War- way, way back. I know the one in Port Maria has the names of the soldiers who died in the first world war so it was done right after the first World War," he added.

Neish also noted that customarily the legion worked in conjunction with the custos in each parish to ensure that there is a Remembrance Day Parade on November 11, "or the nearest Sunday to that date".
    On Remembrance Day war veterans parade with police, cadets and the other uniformed branches in the parish capitals. Wreaths are then laid at cenotaphs in honour of fallen world war soldiers.

But, according to Hanover custos Enid Gonzales, come Remembrance Day, wreaths will be laid at the Lucea Anglican Church.

Meanwhile, chairman of National Poppy Appeal, Colonel Rocky Mead, explained that there are two ways of recognising veteran soldiers. "The cenotaph is a monument in honour of those who died in trying to keep us free, while the poppy money is for those still alive who need help."

Copyright © 2000-2001 Jamaica Observer.
    Last edited by Karl; October 19, 2007, 07:23 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I know one Vietnam War Vet posts here! Are there others...and or vets of other wars?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Observer EDITORIAL: Whither Hanover's heroes indeed

Whither Hanover's heroes indeed

Friday, October 19, 2007

Every government has a non-negotiable duty to protect, preserve and respect the heritage, history and culture of its people.
      That's why the story in yesterday's edition of the Observer West about the need for the erection of a cenotaph in Hanover to honour the fallen World War veterans of that parish is so important.

According to the story, Hanover is the only parish that does not have a cenotaph in memory of those who served in the world's two most debilitating international conflicts.
      Hopefully, that anomaly will soon be corrected, and yet another important chapter in the history of this nation will be recorded with the aplomb it deserves.

In the meantime, we should use yesterday's report - timely against the backdrop of last Heroes' weekend - as a reminder, not just of where we are coming from, but where we are aiming to go.
      For it is, by now, trite philosophy that there is no successful foray into the future without a thorough understanding and appreciation of the past. And if we are going to truly appreciate our past, we must know as many of the stories from that past as possible.

Ideally, these should include stories like the one cited by Mr Balwin Samuels in yesterday's report, about the way in which his wife's grandfather lost both legs to frostbite due to poor treatment by the British. Who was this unfortunate man? How can we ensure that we don't fall prey to the victimisation that others have to offer, the way he did?

How many ounces of liberation are we, as a nation, enjoying today as a result of his efforts?

These are issues that we must begin to take seriously if we expect our youth to grow up with the sort of sense of purpose that will begin to erase the melodrama of indiscipline and violence that is marring their progress.

That sense of purpose will provide depth in an environment that is too often dominated by the shallow and frivolous. The cenotaphs and other monuments which point to the realities of our past have to be maintained in a manner that stimulates curiosity on the part of our young people.
      They must be made to know their history and how it connects with the histories and cultures of other nations. For it's not just about Jamaica anymore. It's about how Jamaica fits and will fit into the historic chapters that are currently being written on the international stage.

It is full time we acknowledge these basic realities, for in the hallowed words of the Dalai Lama, where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace, or, we would add, progress.

Comment

My Grandfather from Maroon Town was
        a WWII vet.

Comment

Working...
        X