• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican Diaspora divided over dual citizenship, representat

published: Sunday | October 14, 2007

Faces of the diaspora.

Dionne Staff Reporter

Some members of the Jamaican Diaspora are objecting to calls made by their colleagues recently for the Jamaican Constitution to be amended to allow persons with dual citizenship to participate locally in political representation.

Irwine Claire, a Jamaican-born director of the Queens-based, non-profit Caribbean Immigrant Services in New York, and Dahlia Walker-Huntington, Jamaican-born in Florida, had suggested that the Jamaican Constitution be revisited.
    But Marvin Watson, who has lived in Canada for the past nine years, and who is also a citizen of that country, says the Jamaican Constitution should not be amended.
    "If you are a Jamaican citizen (who) moved to the United States, you have to denounce your Jamaican citizenship before taking political office," Watson tells The Sunday Gleaner. "What about sovereignty? Jamaica should not in any way allow a citizen of another country become member of the House of Representatives," he adds.

Reguirement
    Watson, who is currently in the Canadian army, says he decided to become a Canadian citizen because that was one of the requirements to becoming an officer in the Canadian millitary.

Glenis Holland, who now lives in the United States, expresses similar views. He decided to become a United States citizen so that he could participate in the political process in that country, after living there for 26 years.

Pledge of Allegiance
    When he became an American citizen, he went before an immigration judge and took the Pledge of Allegiance. "I also agreed to - and everyone else has to - take up arms against any country that should go to war with the Unites States," he explains. "That is, if Jamaica for any reason was at war with America, I, Jamaican-born, would take up arms against Jamaica. That was very hard to do, but that is what all Jamaicans who become U.S. citizens agree to," he continues.

He further argues that when former Leader of the Jamaica Labour Party and Prime Minister Edward Seaga wanted to enter representational politics in Jamaica, he did what the constitution required and renounced his U.S. citizenship.

"The Constitution, the supreme law of the land, is correct. Not one word in it should be changed to suit a group of people not even living in Jamaica and who pledge allegiance to a foreign power," states Watson. "If people in the so-called diaspora want to run for office in Jamaica, let them follow the lead of Edward Seaga and renounce their U.S. citizenship," he states emphatically.

dionne.rose@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; October 15, 2007, 11:33 AM.

No vote if you are citizen of another country!
    No vote!
    End of story!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Thank you!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Who cares... we aren't even independent.

Let's stop this pretense.

Comment

Who cares?!? I do! Mi a nuh smaddy pickney tuh?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi nuh want any vote Who the hell would I vote for anyway . If Mo decide to run, then that's a case for my vote
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

And if I decide to run, I will make sure the constitution is changed so that everybody - you MdmeX, Lazie, Jawge, Comment, Lionpaw, Bricktop, Karl, Pepsi, Westman and all the other American citizens on this forum - can vote for me!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah but in the scheme of things... it does not really matter what the citizenship of canditates or voters are... certainly not within the reality of Jamaican politics or Jamaica in general.

Anything to encourage the participation of the Diaspora is good.. Jamaica does not have a chance without it.

Comment

I endorse diaspora participation wholeheartedly too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Diaspora should be given leadership role.

We can still have a local yard man as the figurehead.. but lets get real...

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      No vote if you are citizen of another country!
                      No vote!
                      End of story!
                      OK Karl, I can agree to that. I think however that people with Green Cards, people working on H1 visas and students on F1 visas should be allowed to vote. These folks have not taken any pledge of alliegance to the US or any other country.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                      X