Gov’t seeks public input on Constitutional Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov’t seeks public input on Constitutional Reform

The Government has turned to the public for feedback on three issues concerning Constitutional Reform.

The Ministry of Justice is seeking views on a fixed election date, limiting the power of the Prime Minister to call snap elections and two term limits for the head of the Government.

In a notice in the press on Sunday the Ministry of Justice says individual reviews should include addressing the concerns relating to the advantages and disadvantages of the three issues.

Wednesday October 24 is the deadline for the submission of suggestions.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding has long been a proponent for the introduction of a fixed election date and terms limits for the head of the Government.

While his Party was in Opposition Mr. Golding stated his intention to introduce a Bill in Parliament seeking the implementation of a prescribed schedule for the holding of national elections.

As it regards term limits for the post of Prime Minister, Mr. Golding has stated that the job should not be held by the same individual for more than 10 years.

The People's National Party (PNP) has in the past said no to fixed election dates and term limits.

Senior officials of the PNP have argued that there are counterbalancing factors as the fixed term system lacks flexibility.

They have suggested that in some cases there may be good reason for a Prime Minister to call an election before the end of the full term.

This includes the need for a fresh mandate or to make changes within the party that is in Government.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Karl, like how the PNP say no, what is your position?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Karl, like how the PNP say no, what is your position?
      What is the point if the salaries are in the "monkey money" range? I can see such a position having "the dregs of society"...those with absolutely no other avenue for "good" employment...or the currently in the main "not so bright" being watered down even further to "dumb and dumber".

You tell me what incentive would "our best" have to take a job where the pay is absolutely "nothing" and even good performances would guarantee firing at the end of 10 years max?

As a "mind-set" I have always supported a "one-term" set of workers...i.e. parliamenterians who would take the good tough decisions which may upset the voters but "fire us on to fast forward unto rapid progress" - but, the salary must be excellent or very few could afford to take and or take on the job!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        What is the point if the salaries are in the "monkey money" range? I can see such a position having "the dregs of society"...those with absolutely no other avenue for "good" employment...or the currently in the main "not so bright" being watered down even further to "dumb and dumber".

You tell me what incentive would "our best" have to take a job where the pay is absolutely "nothing" and even good performances would guarantee firing at the end of 10 years max?

As a "mind-set" I have always supported a "one-term" set of workers...i.e. parliamenterians who would take the good tough decisions which may upset the voters but "fire us on to fast forward unto rapid progress" - but, the salary must be excellent or very few could afford to take and or take on the job!
        Did you attempt to answer the question?

Comment

Did you attempt to answer the question?
          I though I said I agreed with the concept of limiting "terms"...but, there should also be corrresponding and concurrent attempt to make taking on such 'time-limited' employment extremely attractive?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            I though I said I agreed with the concept of limiting "terms"...but, there should also be corrresponding and concurrent attempt to make taking on such 'time-limited' employment extremely attractive?
            Okay ... nuff a unuh round here love say one thing, then change course a few months from now.

Comment

Okay ... nuff a unuh round here love say one thing, then change course a few months from now.
              Not changing course!
              That position I have held for yeeeeeeaaaaars and yeeeeeeaaaaaaaars!

Comment

Working...
              X