Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J$30 million in outstanding taxes?

Beenie Man in hot water with tax department

International reggae artiste Moses Davis, popularly known as Beenie Man, has found himself in big trouble with the government's tax department.

The revenue department has submitted a claim on the artiste for millions of dollars in outstanding income tax.

Beenie Man appeared before the Sutton Street Tax Court recently to answer the claim.

He told presiding magistrate Owen Parkins that he did not know that he owed the government so much money in outstanding taxes.

He blamed his former management company for his current dilemma.

According to Beenie Man, the company was responsible for paying all his taxes.

A source close to the case told the RJR News Centre that the total tax claim against Beenie Man is in the region of $30 million when the interest is included.

Beenie Man is to return to court on October 23.

He is to tell the court how he intends to pay the outstanding taxes.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

This is just the beginning, as there are plans to go after some of the entertainers.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      This is just the beginning, as there are plans to go after some of the entertainers.
      They need to!!
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It is funny how him under his own management now that this tax issue come up.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The entertainer need to pay tax on each dubplate and all foriegn tours, plus royalties recieved.

That money can be used to train entertainers and make more entertainment venues and shows available.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            It is funny how him under his own management now that this tax issue come up.
            Who was him manager again?

Comment

The entertainer need to pay tax on each dubplate and all foriegn tours, plus royalties recieved.

That money can be used to train entertainers and make more entertainment venues and shows available.
              Rubbish. You ever hear bout a little ting called DOUBLE TAXATION? Unnuh a some communist or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                Who was him manager again?
                Exactly this is political.

Comment

to avail yourself of that especially with income earned abroad there needs to be double taxation treaties.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    to avail yourself of that especially with income earned abroad there needs to be double taxation treaties.
                    There is isn't there? I don't believe entertainers can be taxed again in Jamaica after their earnings are taxed abroad.

Comment

To clamp down on musicians, Lawson says, tax auditors sometimes examine an artiste's lifestyle and does rough calculations of earnings based on the number of people who attend their shows - taking into account the price of admission per person.
                      Need I say anymore? Voodoo Economics?

Comment

Communism have nothing to do with taxes, it all belong to the state.

So when you pay custom duties isn't that double tax?

Comment

The fact is the entertainers especially the progressive ones getting away with blue murder as they pay no taxes. Nurses and teachers have to pay more taxes even when they have less earning power.

Comment

as i said that treaty would need to be in place.... it may be in place, the fact is that i don't know.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The fact is the entertainers especially the progressive ones getting away with blue murder as they pay no taxes. Nurses and teachers have to pay more taxes even when they have less earning power.
                              Do you think the progressive entertainers make their money in Jamaica? So how do you figure they don't pay taxes on the income earned in the US and Europe?

Comment

Working...
                              X