• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can I trust your words?

When can I trust your words?
    published: Sunday | October 14, 2007

Lambert Brown, Contributor

A few days ago, Lucius Thomas, the commissioner of police, announced his retirement from the Jamaica Constabulary Force, despite having a contract that expires in 2009.

One newspaper headlined the announce-ment with a quotation 'It's not true'. This was in reference to rumours of a rift with the Government as the reason for his early departure from office. I dearly want to believe that there was no rift between the commissioner and the Government.
    Regrettably, the name Marion Jones keeps coming up to interfere with my acceptance of the 'no rift' theory. Am I correct that Marion, for many years, denied taking performance-enhancing drugs? Many people trusted her. She even successfully sued - for US$25 million - someone who accused her of illegally using performance-enhancing drugs.

Now she is confessing. She has been cheating in sports for over eight years, according to her. Sometimes the truth comes out later, and so I will hold my breath for reality to unfold about the sudden departure of a police commissioner beloved by his colleagues.

The occurrence of the two heads of the security forces leaving within a month of a new government taking power is hard to swallow as a mere coincidence.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Dean, a state of emergency was declared by then Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller. Then leader of the Opposition, Bruce Golding, after a meeting with the police chief indicated that the commissioner had not recommended to the Prime Minister the evoking of a state of emergency.

Trust essential
    This was to be a deadly blow aimed at the credibility of Simpson Miller. As it turned out, Golding was less than accurate in his reporting of the conversation with the 'Commish'. This led to political controversy, and the PNP took out a television advertisement embarrassing the then leader of the opposition as being economical with the truth. Today, the commissioner happily continues the countdown to his retirement. One thing he will no longer have to do is to make regular reports to the new Prime Minister. In the meantime, I will trust your words Mr. Commish, about no political rift, notwithstanding the Marion Jones images.

Trust is an essential part of all relations, whether of a personal, business or political nature. If we lose trust, then the foundations of truth and acceptance are undermined. Stability of relations would be threatened, if not totally destroyed. T

Our leaders must accept that, if we are to be good followers, we must be able to trust their words all the time. They must not say one thing ,yet do or mean something different. Political expediency has led too many people to justify the inconsistency between the words and deeds of our leaders. These people do our country a grave disservice.

There is nothing wrong in recognising that one misspoke, or that situations have changed, and therefore, there is a need to adopt different positions in respect of previous statements. I find that our politicians are not willing to make confessions of errors or misjudgement.

Recently, the Minister of Finance, Audley Shaw, went to Antigua, where he attended the opening of a new Sandals Hotel. He is reported as saying that the newly installed Bruce Golding administration was supportive of 'Butch' Stewart's ventures.

There can be no doubt that in Opposition, Messrs. Shaw, Samuda and other spokespersons were strident in support of positions put forward by Stewart in his dispute with the government of Jamaica.

Country needs to know
    Now, Shaw et al are in Government. One of Stewart's ventures is a law suit against two wholly owned government companies - the Urban Development Corporation and the National Development Bank. In a column last year September, I wrote the following: "What will the JLP do if they win the fight of the elephants? Will the private interest be prevailed on to drop its 'multibillion-dollar suit' against the taxpayers of Jamaica? Will the JLP settle the private-partner claim for the just under US$200 million as mentioned in the press reports? Frankly, based on the arguments advanced by the JLP in support of the private interest in this dispute, they would have to be doing a major flip-flop not to pay the private interest their demand."

Now, the country needs to know if we can trust the minister's words in support of Stewart's ventures, or if we should expect him to defend the Jamaican people in opposing Stewart's suit.

My question is: When can I trust your words, Mr. Minister? The nurses were given a commitment to double their salaries. Now we are being told those words weren't meant to be taken seriously. Neither should we take seriously the commitment to have a small and lean Cabinet. I believe that our leaders ought to put a premium on trust. Their commitments and promises ought to be taken seriously. That is what for makes good governance.

How do trade unions, investors, consumers, taxpayers and the general public know when to trust the words of our leaders?
    We are treading in dangerous waters when honesty is replaced by disingenuousness. We are already drifting too far out.

Lambert Brown is president of the University and Allied Workers' Union, and can be contacted at labpoyh@yahoo.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X