importing cars in jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing cars in jamaica

anybody know what is the duty on cars imported in jamaica... i am contemplating sending a car to jamaica but need the information to determine whether it would be cheaper to buy a car in jamaica or import one...

any info would be appreciated...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

last time I heard it was cheaper to buy one there unless you are a returning resident.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

got this from a friend...

Engine size Duty

up to 1500 85%
      1501 - 2000 96%
      2001 - 3000 123%
      over 3000 182%

This info applies to car & SUVs. You can only import vehicles 4 yrs old or less.
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

There are some loopholes which some people use, like importing transport for Agriculture. If your are a returning resident I think you can take one car free as well.

A friend told me it is easier to get a 4 year old deportee from a use car dealer. That is a lot of tax.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Dem use the so-called green book to value vehicles, and that is often higher than the market value of the car in the US.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

is this upto date info? i have been made to undersatnd that the returning resident exemption has been dispensed with because of abuse. can anyone confirm?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

My info is out of date. Check the returning residents info guide here;
              http://jhcuk.org/documents/Returning...let%202007.pdf
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
              X