Audley Shaw should resign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audley Shaw should resign

The Honourable Audley Shaw, Minister of Finance, should resign because of his denying that he promised the nurses of Jamaica a 100 per cent increase. The President of the NAJ said Shaw promised to double their pay and Shaw said that he made "no such promise" (See 'Shaw denies NAJ charge', September 27, 2007, p. A2).

Then the NAJ produced the tape which had Shaw saying, "I would like to give the commitment, that as Minister of Finance, that would be the starting position", in reference to doubling of the pay (See 'Caught: Tape reveals Finance Minister's double pay promises for nurses', The Gleaner, October 2, 2007).

The issue is not whether the Golding government will honour the promise. The issue is about lying. Lying is an abomination to the Lord. It is a deadly sin. Lying destroys trust in relationships and makes governance impossible. It is pure chaos when there is lack of honour and trust. Even comedian Glen Campbell in the play 'Love Games' highlighted the importance of trust. He said, 'Cheating is based on trust'. So if in infidelity there has to be trust, how much more important it is between the rulers and the ruled?

Audley Shaw has not said that the tape is an impersonation or that the nurses doctored the tape. The honourable minister should have, owned up to his utterances. He has been caught with his pants down and the only honourable thing left to do is to resign.

Lying

Former president of the United States of America, Bill Clinton, was impeached, not because he had sex with Monica Lewinsky, but because he lied when he told the world that he did not have sex with that woman. The issue was not adultery but lying!

Recently, Libby, a high official in the Bush administration, was sentenced to imprisonment for lying. Libby had exposed the identity of a CIA operative Valerie Palme. That was a criminal offence. However, the prosecutor did not even bother to charge him with that. What happened was that Libby said he did not remember telling anyone in the media about Valerie because he was a busy man. The authorities did not buy the argument that he could not recall telling anyone about the identity of a CIA operative.

Shaw was replaced as chairman of the Public Accounts Committee because he said he was going to 'pepper' the backside of Dr. Vin Lawrence, then UDC chairman. This about face with the nurses is much worse than 'peppering' and therefore, Shaw should resign.

There are practical and sensible reasons for trust to be non-negotiable. Are we to trust Audley Shaw when he claims that there is an intention to reduce transfer tax on land transactions or will he deny saying so or claim that the intention is not imminent?

Rice

If Shaw is allowed to get away with this denial of what he said to the nurses, how are we to believe other members of the Cabinet? Take, for example, the dispute between the Honourable Karl Samuda, Minister of Industry, and Robert Persaud, Guyana's Minister of Agriculture.

Samuda claims that 25 per cent of the Guyanese rice crop was destroyed by rains and, therefore, cannot adequately supply Jamaica with rice which Persaud denies and insists that Guyana has supplied Jamaica with 10,000 tonnes more than last year. Who am I to believe?

I will believe my honourable minister whose utterances I should be able to trust. However, if Shaw remains in the Cabinet, then I will have to wonder if Samuda is doing a 'Shaw scuffle'. This issue of trust is important for the proper functioning of a country.

Audley Shaw has seriously betrayed the trust of the people and should resign.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    If Shaw is allowed to get away with this denial of what he said to the nurses, how are we to believe other members of the Cabinet? Take, for example, the dispute between the Honourable Karl Samuda, Minister of Industry, and Robert Persaud, Guyana's Minister of Agriculture.

Samuda claims that 25 per cent of the Guyanese rice crop was destroyed by rains and, therefore, cannot adequately supply Jamaica with rice which Persaud denies and insists that Guyana has supplied Jamaica with 10,000 tonnes more than last year. Who am I to believe?
    I know who I believe. RJR had both of them on a program last week and only Vegas card dealer shuffles more than Samuda when faced with irrefutable facts from the Guyanese minister. It was embarrassing seeing Samuda try to appear tuff under the guise of protecting the Jamaican consumer, when armed with hearsay and rumour about the availability of rice from Guyana.

This govt. must make itself clear - CARICOM or NO CARICOM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

LOL !! WHOOEEE !!!

'Audley Shaw has seriously betrayed the trust of the people and should resign'

HA ! HA ! HAAAAH!!!

Dem need fi stap.. please.. mi know seh Local Gov Elections coming up but damn....

Comment

Cyaan wait till local Govt election is over..

All this electioneering is annoying...

Comment

them man yah a mek a mockery of the process.

While Audley Shaw is wrong where was the same kind of sentiment for Paulwell, KD Knight, Nicholson, Omar and the whole lot of them?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Local Govt elections coming up... grin and bear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

While Audley Shaw is wrong where was the same kind of sentiment for Paulwell, KD Knight, Nicholson, Omar and the whole lot of them?
              Well, yuh figet that Paulwell, KD Knight, Nicholson, Omar and the whole lot of them is not JLP?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yuh figget?! Some may not have said anything, but many of us, including you and Maudib did. So why stop now?

Oh, unnu form di govt. so is arite fi kip up di same crap.

Beg paad'n!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is not about keeping up the same crap, Shaw should be chastise, but resign for that?

When last you hear a politian resign for election promise? As I said he should pay the penalty but let us be realistic.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Heh, heh.

Chalk and Cheese, bout same crap.

Mi tell yuh ahready if wi was to carry on like unnuh carrying on now di server woulda crash long time.

PNP set the bar low.. JLP leaping over with ease.. ah who fault ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Yuh figget?! Some may not have said anything, but many of us, including you and Maudib did. So why stop now?

Oh, unnu form di govt. so is arite fi kip up di same crap.

Beg paad'n!
                      The difference is we critcised the gov't on matters that are realistic and not trivial like what you people coming with.

After 18 years the gov't kept going to the market to raise money to finance the budget, yet a gov't that isn't in office for 1 month, shouldn't? What dem must duh? Wave the magic wand?

Anyway ... unuh simply prove that the JLP gov't is a good thing as all of a sudden unuh ready fi pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

Did the JLP hold those persons to account? ..for even the slightest indiscretion? You guys are amzing - Why is it you think you have a divine right to bombard the PNP administration with questions on its actions and haughtily and arrogantly try to brow-beat those who question you?

I thought you were all about transparency, honesty, openness, integity...and, most of all wrapping all that and more in leveling with the Jamaican people and giving good governance?! What happen? ...a little dictatorship on the make - No questions?! No telling on when we are wrong?! ...and or make mistakes?! Just suck up whatever we do "we are demi-gods"...Unnuh fool-fool fi beleive us when we claimed we are "servants of the people"! How unnuh suh fool-fool?

Get real and consistent! You cussed the PNP on wrongs and perceived wrongs! You should be doing the same for the JLP - You said you were holding the PNP to accounts because you love Jamaica! What happen your love for Jamaica has suddenly left you?!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The difference is we critcised the gov't on matters that are realistic and not trivial like what you people coming with.
                          For those who had doubts on level of honestly and whether or not there is a JLP klan - not "truth speaking" by JLP government ministers and or JLP spokesperson to the people is trival!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            For those who had doubts on level of honestly and whether or not there is a JLP klan - not "truth speaking" by JLP government ministers and or JLP spokesperson to the people is trival!
                            Everyday I'm more convinced that you people are not that bright. Okay Shaw said it ..... which well thinking person would expect a 200% increase as soon as they took office?

The fact is even the PM admitted that they need more money. But when all you idiots jumping up bout pay dem .... it is clear unuh fail fi use the organ called a brain.

Comment

Everyday I'm more convinced that you people are not that bright. Okay Shaw said it ..... which well thinking person would expect a 200% increase as soon as they took office?

The fact is even the PM admitted that they need more money. But when all you idiots jumping up bout pay dem .... it is clear unuh fail fi use the organ called a brain.

Lazie: Long before the elections I have been saying there was only one course we would be going down - deficit budget financing! ...borrowing, ...seeking aid and grants ...collecting more taxes ...seeking to speed up investments (with attendant proper controls...on, for example, how the environs and or surroundings are affected = spending more on infrastructure and social programs) ....while cajoling the private sector to come up to speed! ...in other words the same course down which the PNP has been taking the country.

It was you and your party that told the people there was another way! We are changing course! Coming here now after your party made promises on 'tution fees' and many other things and claiming we where fools for believing you - is just perpetuating YOUR party's stack of lies!

No matter how you tell it - YOUR PARTY came into power on a bag of lies! Blaming the people/voters for believing your party's drivel is...well...drivel!
                              In Jamaica parlance - Guh weh wid dat!

Comment

Working...
                              X