X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football = Improving kids' Life Chances

Howard University coach scouts Jamaican schoolboy football talent
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Manning Cup players from several schools got a glimpse into their future on Sunday, by Howard University's head football coach, Phillip Gyau, who is in Jamaica to recruit players for the institution's football programme.

Opportunities to study and play football at Howard University, located in Washington DC in the United States, were presented to student athletes from Norman Manley, Wolmer's Boys', Jamaica College, Kingston College, St George's College and Calabar." I'm happy about being in a position to help student athletes. The players were attentive during the presentation and almost all the kids that I met had high GPAs and it was positive. Hopefully, I can get a couple players from it." said Gyau.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Noooooo 1Don. Jamaican High School football = exploitation, especially for the youngsters that were recruited.

Comment

Poor Don1.

I have been intimately associated with several programs that seek to place our best footballers in US colleges.

In my best Wally British accent - mi tayuuurd fi tell unnu dat, if there are 100 footballers on show, 30 would attract the scouts with their football abilities. Of that 30, we would be lucky if we get 10 who can actually take up the scholarship because their academics are in order.

But who cares! Wi done win di Olivier Shield arready!

We are exploiting the youths! Stop it! Stop it, I say!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Poor Don1.

I have been intimately associated with several programs that seek to place our best footballers in US colleges.

In my best Wally British accent - mi tayuuurd fi tell unnu dat, if there are 100 footballers on show, 30 would attract the scouts with their football abilities. Of that 30, we would be lucky if we get 10 who can actually take up the scholarship because their academics are in order.

But who cares! Wi done win di Olivier Shield arready!

We are exploiting the youths! Stop it! Stop it, I say!!!
        Nonsense... an epic logic fail.

This is a classic example of the misuse of statistics. I'm surprised that you allow the sour grapes at Munro being title-free for 60 years so affect your reasoning

Your anecdotes suggests a 33% rate of acceptance from ballas whose skills are acceptable...that's not bad in the Jamaican context

Riggle mi diss...What would the outcome be if you put up 100 average Jamaican high school students (who don't play school ball) for an academic scholarship at those same US colleges?
        5% or 8% acceptance?????
        In statistical analysis this would be the all-important "control group" which provides perspective

That control group performance is the key question that needs answering... Without that your reasoning is unfortunately a total flop
        Last edited by Don1; November 18, 2014, 05:39 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Nonsense... an epic logic fail.

This is a classic example of the misuse of statistics. I'm surprised that you allow the sour grapes at Munro being title-free for 60 years so affect your reasoning

Your anecdotes suggests a 33% rate of acceptance from ballas whose skills are acceptable...that's not bad in the Jamaican context

Riggle mi diss...What would the outcome be if you put up 100 average Jamaican high school students (who don't play school ball) for an academic scholarship at those same US colleges?
          5% or 8% acceptance?????
          In statistical analysis this would be the all-important "control group" which provides perspective

That control group performance is the key question that needs answering... Without that your reasoning is unfortunately a total flop
          Run your little statistical models till you're blue in the face, Don1. Nuh have di time fi fuccery.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know your Dr Suss story-telling methods are popular among Jamaicans but either we stick to the scientific method or we make determinations based on emotions or flawed reasoning

Full time unnu get wid di Century 21 program

Comment

Does this suggest that improving "football education" in schools would be of help to more kids upward mobility? If the answer is a resounding YES...why then the anguished wails from such as Gamma and like minded Jamaicans?

Aside: It is not only football that our schools need to step up on delivery of education services but in all disciplines and areas. Our schools need improved professional environment! ...that naturally includes quality of instructions and efforts at motivating our kids.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So where to begin...a journey of 1,000 miles begins with...

Comment

True...but it does not mean that schools should be the primary means of developing talent

Comment

Working...
                  X