X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools physical infrastructure to be assessed for improveme

Schools physical infrastructure to be assessed for improvement

Monday, June 10, 2013

THE top 10 high schools based on their performance in the annual Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) Boys' and Girls' Championships, will have their physical plants assessed to see what kind of improvements and upgrade can be facilitated.

Minister with responsibility for Sport, Natalie Neita Headley has committed that the Sports Development Foundation (SDF) will be assigned to see how the Government can facilitate the improvements. The minister, who was making her presentation in the Sectoral Debate on Wednesday, revealed that some research has shown that injuries among elite athletes were as a result of poor surfaces. "If we are to invest in our future, we must focus our attention on providing them with better facilities," she said.

The minister lauded the efforts of ISSA, Jamaica Independent Schools Association and the Jamaica Teachers' Association, all of which have programmes to nurture and develop talent among the younger athletes.
    Neita Headley also announced that the recently enacted Charity Organisations (Tax Harmonisation) Act has in place clear guidelines that will allow sporting bodies and federations to continue to benefit from the waivers through statute. She highlighted that "the act has therefore made it easier for organisations to make donations to charitable associations that support the development of sport".

Section One under the Customs Section, states that: "Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, no import duty shall be payable upon any article imported into Jamaica or taken out of bond in Jamaica by an approved charitable organisation and shown to the satisfaction of the Commissioner General to be required for the charitable purposes of that organisation".

The minister noted that the provisions in the new act have been expanded to cover all the present and future sporting activities as amateur sport.

"The SDF would be the agency to work with the Commissioner General to ensure that all sporting associations and bodies are vetted and registered as charitable organisations. Stakeholder consultations will commence shortly to ensure that the sporting associations and federations are fully aware how to treat with these new provisions," the minister announced.

Neita Headley was clear on the objective that "the partnership was to ensure that every single child participating in sport at the amateur level, will be exposed to proper gear and equipment".

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2VqPwwUMp
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Wrong headed move...

This will only reinforce their superiority

Target the neediest schools which demonstrate the capacity to improve most
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Agree! Rich getting richer. Bolt was not from top ten so who are they trying to protect exactly.

How would you go about selecting the most promising as you say.

Comment

Completely ASSININE! Many of these are only in the top 10 because of their shopping skills. And now they are to be rewarded for that?!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
          Agree! Rich getting richer. Bolt was not from top ten so who are they trying to protect exactly.

How would you go about selecting the most promising as you say.
          Hmmmm...

Dats ah statistical prablem. Mi tink your pay grade inna dat is far superior to mines

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Why is it you, "Muggy" Graham and those who put forward such positions do not publish data to back your claims?

Number and %age of total school populations transferred?
            Number and %age of total athletes transferred?
            %age of points total gained at Champs? ...trophies won?
            %age of points total gained for 'new' institution?
            etc? etc?

Put my head on it - unnuh talkin phartz!!!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes this issue is desperately begging for more data and less emotion

Comment

Headley is the one talking phartz Karl!

Look how many schools need repairs to them chemistry lab, biology lab and need computers, among other things, and yuh come wid p-i-s-s pot argument to give scarce money to this.
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Agreed...more funds needed for each school.

Comment

We all know what is happening out there, if we are honest with ourselves.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Guess I must be dishonest as I have been hearing of this so called rampant 'buying of athletes' and have never seen it? ...or any data to support it?

I wonder...how many T&F athletes take part at Champs? ...and the numbers of those 'bought athletes' taking part in each year on which there is a hue and cry?

Headley Cup cricket? Sunlight Cup cricket?

Manning Cup football? DaCosta Cup football?

Netball?

...and how many have gone on to perform at a lower academic standard at the 'new school'? How is that data collected and scored/interpreted and presented?

Comment

Karl...how yuh fi "see" smaddy ah buy athlete?? Dem nuh guh market fi dat

There is however lots of empirical evidence of transfers of student-athletes to particular well endowed and high performing schools...that's undeniable. So you're on point in asking for data

What is unknown because the matter is not studied- but is subject to much yappin' is:

1. The scope of the transfers...by schools, number of students and sport

2. The sporting impact of the transfers on both the beneficiary schools and the supplier schools

3. The academic impact of the transfers on the subject students and receiving schools as well as tracking the post-school fate of transferees- comparing that to the post-school fate of a control group of similar students who remained in the source school.

These are the most important data points imho ...we need some tertiary institution to study the matter in a scientific manner.

After all it's not rocket science...or robotics
                        Last edited by Don1; June 25, 2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Karl can stay deh a talk him crap. The reason why it continues is because no one wants to call out the schools, the coaches and the players involved. The abuse of "student athletes" is rampant! It even happens at the tertiary level now!

And no, Karl, I will not produce the evidence. Those of us who know, KNOW!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh mean Karl hanging around Shady Pines too long, him can't see!
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

It is crazy...????

The first secondary school I attended was Mannings...relatively few were the students in my time who were athletes representing Mannings who went on to other schools...

I remember - Atco the current GOJ Minster of Justice who left for Wolmers.
                              T&F - 880 yards. Scored points at Champs for Wolmers.

Arthur Comrie - To Wolmers- Won Pole Vault at Champs for Wolmers (think played Manning Cup for Wolmers...was star defender at Mannings).

Ansel Philip - To XLCR - Mannings, D'Cup - striker; XLCR Manning Cup - striker
                              (Later Jamaica striker...played semi-pro/pro in the then USA League)

Karl Wallace - To Munro - T&F - member of MC's 3rd place 4 x 400M team

Delroy Wallace - To Munro - Member of MC's Headley Cup winning team...won L/J & placed 2nd in Class 1 100 yards at Champs, D'Cup football...All-School track team in pre-Carifita era (All- Schools team to Barbados and T'dad)

Horace Levy - To XLCR - T&F and football - Won event at Champs - Star of one Champs, I think...placing in 100, 200, 400

...I am sure all the above would be considered bought...but they all changed schools (transferred to new school) for family reasons.

Funny...I cannot remember the girls who transferred. I know we had many, many top netball and T&F performers - Hey! TALENT ABOUNDS! - and I am sure there must have been some who transferred...(scratch 'ead emoticon). ...in any case, I cannot remember any athlete being transferred as 'bought'.

Point is, it is strange that I have been involved in sports - athlete, official and administrator - for all these years and I have never ever run into a case of a 'bought' athlete.

If there is anyone on this board who can name 1 athlete who they have personal knowledge of a school buying such an athlete please 'raise' your hand?

Comment

Working...
                              X