• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref apologises for error in D'Cup final

Ref apologises for error in D'Cup final
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    Saturday, December 18, 2010

Patrick McPherson, the referee at the centre of the blown call that decided the ISSA/Pepsi/Digicel daCosta Cup final, has apologised for his mistake and has accepted full responsibility for allowing the goal that gave Rusea's High school their first title since 2002 and ninth overall.
    Anthony Walker's deliberately handled ball in the final minute of the second period of extra time gave Rusea's a 1-0 win.
    This was the first of two incidents in a one-week span that decided two schoolboy' football championships and the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) yesterday accepted the recommendations of its Referees' Committee (JFFRC) to suspend the officials who took part in both games.
    In the second game on December 10, Jamaica College beat Cornwall College 1-0 in the all-island ISSA/Busta Under-14 decider at Dinthill Technical when Dominic James's goal scored five minutes in the second half of extra time was ruled to be legal by referee Garfield Gardener.
    As a result the four-man crew on both games have been suspended.
    According to a letter from the JFF released to the media yesterday the crew that did the daCosta Cup final will be suspended until December 31, while the crew for the Under-14 game will be out until January 7.
    McPherson, Donat McKenley, Melvin Reid and Robert Lindsay officiated in the daCosta Cup game, while Garfield Gardener, Jermaine Yeesing, Lenval Peart and Yakeeni Malcolm took part in the Under-14 game.
    According to the JFF, both crews were "guilty of less than proficiency in applying the laws of the game" and "committed a serious technical error by not detecting an infringement (deliberate hand ball) which resulted in a goal that decided the outcome of the game".
    In a letter dated December 8 addressed to the chairman of the JFFRC, McPherson said that his failure to "adhere to the established principles of concentration for the duration of play and failing to adopt a good viewing angle as well as staying in close contact to play has resulted in me making a crucial mistake".
    The letter went on to say "This mistake has proven very costly as it has determined the winner of the championship".
    McPherson said the decision has left him feeling "distraught up to the point of feeling distressed, knowing that a decision I made decided the championship".
    In apologising to all concerned "especially Lennon High School, JFF, my colleagues and all other stake holders whom I have disappointed, I am man enough to accept that I have made a terrible mistake and man enough to accept whatever sanctions that may be levied against me".
    McPherson said the mistake has taught him "a very valuable lesson and will endeavour to ensure that this does not happen ever again".
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

er, thanks ref but the horse has bolted.
    Peter R

Comment

Hard as it was for Lennon, part of the game, one ref told me that he is sure McPherson will never be allowed to live it down for a long time to come.

One TV commentator thinks McPherson should be suspended for a full season or more as a few weeks is not sufficient
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

To be fair, reffing is a thankless task. He did well to offer the apology.

What consequences did the reffing (yes, with an "r") team in the France Ireland WC qualifying game get?
        Peter R

Comment

None!

Comment

Are you sure about that? Normally the refereeing bodies (except England maybe) dont announce punishments as it attracts additional criticism on the officials.

Normally the suspensions are hushed up
            Che Guevara.

Comment

The only punishment I hear about is the ref being sent to a lower league. Never heard of anyone being banned for making a mistake.

Comment

in the last world cup wasn't an african referee sent home?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Also in the run up to the 1998 WC an African ref who was on the list was taken off after he added nine minutes to a club game
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Thats an international tournament, did the ban filter down to the respective domestic leagues which can be considered the bread and butter of any ref.

Comment

not if refereeing can be considered a "bread and butter" profession in JA ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes Gamma it is getting there, we have enough football to keep the good ones and some even not so good ones occupied up to four days a week for most of the year.

If you are on the DPL list and get travelling etc and also do Super league and the Major leagues, throw in the sundry other leagues and you can make a decent change.

If you have profession and draw a salary elsewhere, money from refereeing can add substantially.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

nice!

Comment

Working...
                          X