• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All set for 'Champs 100' Awards Banquet

All set for 'Champs 100' Awards Banquet
    BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com

Friday, February 05, 2010

THE Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) is reporting that all is set for the successful staging their Awards Banquet to recognise outstanding athletes, coaches and officials as part of the 'Champs 100' celebrations this evening at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel.

Chairperson of the organising committee of the 100th celebration and 'Champs' itself, Coleen Montaque, says the function, which starts at 6:30, will be a Gala event.
    "You will see the history of 'Champs' unfold at this banquet because we're recognising all categories and stakeholders who have contributed to 'Champs'," Montaque told the Observer yesterday.

"We're talking about officials, coaches, the ISSA organising body, as well as athletes from 1910 to 2010," she added, noting that former Prime Minister Norman Manley and Olympic medallist Arthur Wint and Lennox Miller are among the athletes to be recognised posthumously.

"Other athletes to be recognised include Donald Quarrie, Raymond Stewart, Lindy Delapenha, Trevor Campbell and Daniel England, coming right down inclusive of Usain Bolt," Montaque said.

The Wolmer's Girls' principal explained that the athletes being awarded in each decade were selected on performances over their competitive years at 'Champs', which is now sponsored by GraceKennedy.

"From the female perspective, we're talking about Jacqueline Pusey, Inez Turner, Bev McDonald and Aleen Bailey, to name a few, and among the coaches we'll honour persons like Michael Clarke, Herb McKenley (posthumously), Constantine Haughton... the coaches who have been multiple winners," she said.

In the meantime, Montaque hinted that the 100th celebration of 'Champs', which was launched on December 14 at the Terra Nova Hotel, has been going well and will move to another level with this evening's function.
    "Basically eveything is in place; tickets are alomost gone. We may have just a few tickets left for tomorrow (today) and it should be a really grand event," she reiterated.

It is understood that just over 300 tickets were printed for the exclusive event, with each costing $5,000.

"Of course, the invited awardees would have been accommodated (separately)," Montaque added.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...Awards_7390586
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

merlene ottey's name is missing.....if she will be in attendance i will try to make it.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma - in the Gleaner edition, Ottey is mentioned

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      merlene ottey's name is missing.....if she will be in attendance i will try to make it.
      ==========================================
      Is just an Observer ting

All set for Champs awards banquet

Published: Friday | February 5, 2010

Leighton Levy, Gleaner Writer
      All is now set for tonight's awards banquet at The Jamaica Pegasus where outstanding athletes, coaches, administrators and sponsors will be honoured for their contributions to the Boys and Girls' Championships in its 100 years of existence.

"We are counting the moments," said Colleen Montague, chairman of the Boys and Girls' Championships and principal of Wolmer's Girls' School. "So far, everything is in place."

The Wolmer's Girls principal said they are still awaiting the arrival of some of the invitees, including Inez Turner and Donald Quarrie, who have confirmed their attendance. However, some former athletes will not be able to attend due to prior commitments and will be represented by family members at the event. Those athletes include Merlene Ottey, who now lives in Slovenia; Raymond Stewart and Beverly McDonald, as well as Jackie Pusey. An otherwise strong turnout is expected.

Athletes who will be awarded tonight are those who dominated their eras at the championships. "Those are the ones who would have been outstanding for several years," Montague said. "They would have made tremendous impact at Champs over the years, whether they were class champions or had many outstanding performances."
      Naturally, some former athletes will be awarded posthumously.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

It would have been nice if they had Champs footage going back a few decades of some of these greats to make a Champs 100 DVD.

But I am sure JBC scratched all those tapes dozens of times over.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

i know! i would love to see my silver medal run!

sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

she neva attend anyway...mi save some money and remorse!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

every night when yuh guh to bed an close yuh eyes......

Comment

no! i want to see the real thing. that great run after starting last out of the blocks, when I kicked into warp speed and overtook 6 others before we got to the line. that's the one i want to see!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

warp speed minus 1!!! did such footage ever even exist?

Comment

Not sure if it ever existed. But it's the kind of footage they would quickly have dubbed over with some Ring Ding episode. Of course, we know what happened since then!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Not sure if it ever existed. But it's the kind of footage they would quickly have dubbed over with some Ring Ding episode. Of course, we know what happened since then!
                      Don't knock "ring Ding"...those tapes should have been saved. Some years ago I asked and was told they also were dubbed over.
                      Treasure...national treasures ruined!
                      Last edited by Karl; February 10, 2010, 06:09 PM.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

who knocking it? i also mourn the disappearance of footage of that program.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

hmnnn
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                          X