• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Downswell factor in STETHS’s D’Cup triumph

The Downswell factor in STETHS’s D’Cup triumph
    Paul Reid
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009

MONTEGO BAY, St James — St Elizabeth Technical High (STETHS) won their third daCosta Cup title on Saturday, beating first-time finalists Manchester High 1-0 in the final played at Jarrett Park.
    Wendell Downswell, who played on the victorious team back in 1974 and was head coach of another championship team in 1999, was on the bench as a “special assistant” to coach Andrew Edwards on Saturday.
    Downswell joined the coaching staff at the start of the Inter-zone round after STETHS finished second in Zone E to Munro College and his inclusion was welcomed by Edwards.
    Minutes after Saturday's game, Edwards who is in his second season as the STETHS coach, heaped praise on the veteran coach.
    “Coach Downswell has been tremendous; his experience and knowledge cannot be discounted,” he said, adding “he has been a big impact on the team and has always been a mentor to me”.
    Downswell, who Edwards also described as “helpful and supportive” since the Interzone round started, said it was a great feeling that his alma mater was able to pull off the victory.
    Asked what did he bring to the team, he said "experience and just helping Andrew with the organisation”.
    Downswell, a former national coach at several levels, elected Edwards as one for the future. “Andrew is a bright prospect and a good young coach and he will go far.”
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Wendell Downswell, who played on the victorious team back in 1974 and was head coach of another championship team in 1999, was on the bench as a “special assistant” to coach Andrew Edwards on Saturday.
    This is not a true statement. Boyous was not on the 1974 winning DaCosta team for STETHS. He played 75 and 76.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I learned that this week...but this information has been in the media for years and even when we spoke to him about winning as a player and as a coach he never corrected this info.

This info was there in 1999 and was never corrected it and on Saturday when he was being interviewd on live national radio and the reporter mentioned it he just answered the question and never corrected it.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
        This is not a true statement. Boyous was not on the 1974 winning DaCosta team for STETHS. He played 75 and 76.

How many times Steths has won the D'Cup?
        ...and the years?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

3 times.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Yes, he should be correcting the information. The team which won DaCosta Cup in 1974 was the unlikeliest team to win. The side did not have any of the name bran ballers like Boyous, Alton Sterling, Spider Wedderburn, Luggy Farquharson, Screech Parkins or Sweetie Smith etc. Those guys came after we won DaCosta Cup. I think it was God showing mercy on the 74 team with victory after the incident at Cornwall in 72 where the school's bus driver was killed by the angry MoBay mob.

Boyous needs to set the records straight. To not correct it is to encourage people to believe that it is fact. I can tell you he was not on the team as I was a student there in those days.

Comment

Thanks!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

1977 or 1974?

Comment

It was 1974.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    It was 1974.
                    Suh yuh a seh Tilla wrang?
                    Well...did Downswell ever play on a D'Cup winning team?

Comment

Downswell never played on STETHS Dacosta Cup winning team.

Tilla is right. In 1974 he played for Frome Secondary School. He enrolled at Steths the year after they won the Dacosta Cup in 1974 and played two seasons 1975 and 1976. Therefore he never played on the 1974 STETHS team.

Comment

Yes, Karl, what I wrote was wrong. If you read what I am saying, Boyous played in 75 & 76 for STETHS. They won the year before he was a STETS student. It stands to reason that STETHS could not have won in 1977. I should have written 74.
                        Well...did Downswell ever play on a D'Cup winning team?
                        The answer to that is no. Again, he played in 75 & 76, two years in which STETHS was not successful. If you ask me though, those two years STETHS should have won, but as you know, it is not always the best team that wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                          Yes, Karl, what I wrote was wrong. If you read what I am saying, Boyous played in 75 & 76 for STETHS. They won the year before he was a STETS student. It stands to reason that STETHS could not have won in 1977. I should have written 74.

The answer to that is no. Again, he played in 75 & 76, two years in which STETHS was not successful. If you ask me though, those two years STETHS should have won, but as you know, it is not always the best team that wins.
                          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X