Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferdinand and Vidic hailed as 'best partnership in Europe'

Last updated at 15:56pm on 8th October 2007

John O'Shea has hailed his Manchester United team-mates Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic as the best central defensive partnership in Europe.

United have kept clean sheets in their last six consecutive league games, and have conceded only two goals in eight Barclays Premier League matches - both away from home - and none in Europe.

One more clean sheet, at Aston Villa on October 20, will mean the team equal a club record of seven set way back in 1924 in the old second division.

O'Shea said: "It's a pretty happy camp at the moment, especially with the defensive situation with the clean sheets.

"Rio and Nemanja are definitely a major factor to it - you cannot ask for two better central defenders in Europe, in my opinion.

"I hope they will stay clear of injury because they have been a major influence on keeping the clean sheets."

Vidic had to be substituted because of concussion during Saturday's 4-0 win over Wigan. But that was mainly as a precaution, and there are suggestions that the Serbian defender is in line to be given a new contract.

United do not normally hand out new deals until 12 months before a player's contract expires - but such has been Vidic's impact they may make a special case for him.

As O'Shea made clear, Vidic also gives opponents a headache at the other end of the pitch.

"Nemanja is big goal threat as well," he said.

"You know if the ball is going towards him when he makes a run there's a good chance of it being a goal. Other teams are picking up on that now, and he's becoming really tightly marked."

O'Shea has been filling in at right-back for the injured Wes Brown - and the Republic of Ireland international says there is huge pride in the back four and the goalkeeper when they stop opponents scoring.

"For a defender, keeping a clean sheet is like a striker scoring a couple of goals," he reasons.

"With the attacking quality we have, we know if we keep a clean sheet then nine times out of 10 we are going to win the game.

"We hope we can keep it going. Gary Neville will be back soon - and with the games we have coming up in the Champions League and the Premier League, we need his kind of experience.

"The top teams are gathering pace now - and Arsenal, in particular, look very tasty at the minute."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

why the byline neva seh "John O'Shea hails....."? unnuh love sensationalism eh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Huh? Whats the difference? Toma(y)toe ... Toma(h)toe.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

"The top teams are gathering pace now - and Arsenal, in particular, look very tasty at the minute."

Yuh tink a only Jamaicans alone talk bout "eat a man food". I predict that that leadership position will change at least 3 times before the season ends. Manchester City will keep it warm for a minute for us. Two draws for the Gummers and you are out!!!!
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

hehehe .... wha yuh say? Dem send out the word? Arsenal days are numbered?

Comment

"John O'Shea".....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              hehehe .... wha yuh say? Dem send out the word? Arsenal days are numbered?
              Tasty?
              There is a phrase that includings something about "biting off more than you can chew"...
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                "John O'Shea".....
                So? He doesn't have an opinion? By the way, yuh agree or disagree with the man?

Finally someone understand that Rio a big centerhalf. Nuff man a rate up John Terry ... Rio's problem is that him clothes too clean after 90 minutes, suh him nuh get him ratings.

Comment

as you would say..."consider the source"!

oh and yes O'Shea has an opinion ...afterall opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one.

Comment

as you would say..."consider the source"!

oh and yes O'Shea has an opinion ...afterall opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one.
                    that would be Mosiah's line. No need to knock the man, the stats back him up.

Comment

how have i knocked him? i don't think he is an honest broker...too intimately attached.

Comment

how have i knocked him? i don't think he is an honest broker...too intimately attached.
                        Okay ... fine. Suh what you have to say about the stats backing his statement?

Comment

i'm not arguing with the stat...i am however reminded of the statistician who drowned trying to cross a river with an average depth of 3 feet.

Comment

So when me seh Portia and Prophet Phinn is the best combination you run me down...what does John O'Shea have that me nuh have?
                            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                              So when me seh Portia and Prophet Phinn is the best combination you run me down...what does John O'Shea have that me nuh have?
                              hehehe .... Oshea have stats backing his claim. Show the stats that back your claim?

Comment

Working...
                              X