• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis makes giant strides in women's game

Francis makes giant strides in women's game
    By Howard Walker Observer writer
    Sunday, October 07, 2007

ST JOHN'S, Antigua - The name Junior Francis may not readily ring a bell, but in football circles, he is certainly making a name for himself both as an administrator and now coach. As a result, he has been elevated to the position of coach of the national Under-17 female team.

FRANCIS... If given the chance the girls will make the country proud

Francis, 46, has also been given the responsibility of guiding the national Under-15 team while serving as the assistant coach of the Senior women's team as they bid for Olympic glory.

Francis, a former Kingston College Manning Cup player between 1975-78, has been instrumental in pushing women's football at the school, collegiate, club and now national level.

"I just want to reach out to the public to support female football because I think that our women, just like in track and field, are performing better than the males. If the girls get the same opportunity and are treated just the same like the men, they will make the country proud," said Francis.

Francis, who is currently the first vice-president of Reno FC and chairman of the technical committee and a member of the coaching staff, is presently the head coach for Reno's female team.

He has been involved in coaching for nearly 26 years, just after leaving school.
    "I got a scholarship in 1979 to New York Institute of Technology, getting a first degree in mechanical engineering and came back to Jamaica where I coached JPS and Water Commission in Business House and at Premier League club Cavaliers and Santos.

"My female coaching career started at UWI Pelican in 1991. I was the first to introduce female football at the collegiate level, coaching at Taylor Hall and Preston Hall. I was also the head coach at the UWI Pelican Club team and Merl Grove High the first year it started in Jamaica in 1997. The following year at Queen's I won the competition," Francis told the Sunday Observer.

Francis, who also holds a Master's degree in business administration, left Kingston in 2001 and has make an indelible mark on football in Westmoreland.

He formed Negril FC and took them from Division II to the brink of the National Premier League in four years, losing out to August Town and Naggo Head in the play-offs.

His outstanding coaching achievements did not go unnoticed, as he was invited to be a part of Westmoreland's top club, Reno - a job he gleefully accepted.

"This season I was called by the Reno FC to be a part of their club," he confirmed.

Francis's good work also saw him being encouraged to run for the presidency of the Westmoreland FA, where he challenged but lost to Everton Tomlinson.

But for now, Francis is focussing on the coaching aspect of the game, especially young females.

"When I was called for the interview by the JFF for the job, I told them that I wanted to concentrate on youth development in the football programme. I have a first degree in mechanical engineering and a Master's in business administration, and I did a little sociology and psychology... and what I learned from these courses, I can use on the girls.

"Most of football is in the mind and that's what I want to pay most attention to, especially at the youth level. I think that a coach with my educational background and football experience can make a difference at the youth level.

"If we plant a good seed, then we will produce a good fruit. I want to mold the minds, bodies and souls so that when I release them to the Senior programme, they will be well-rounded and ready to go, physically, technically and psychologically. That's the area I want to place emphasis on," he stressed.

Francis, who is an engineer at the National Water Commission, said a lack of funding is crippling the growth of women's football.

"Because of the lack of funding at the youth level, there is not much focus and with that in mind, I would like to reach out to Corporate Jamaica for sponsorship from companies that like youth development.
    "They are the future of any country and if we can get them focussed, it will decrease the idle mind that tends to lead to violence. There is not much backative and crowd support, and it's very difficult to run the female programme, as is the case with the male," said Francis.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X