X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell promises more matches at 'The Office'

Burrell promises more matches at 'The Office'

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Organiser of the Ocean Spray/Pot of Gold Football League, entertainer Richie Stephens (right), shares a joke with Captain Horace Burrell (2nd left) yesterday at the Hilton Kingston Hotel. Zachary Harding (left) of Wisynco and reggae artiste Tony Rebel look on. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)
    Incoming president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Captain Horace Burrell has promised a "new dawning" in Jamaica's football when he takes office on Monday, November 5.

"In exactly one month, our football will see a new day, and as a new administration we're fired up and raring to go," Burrell said yesterday in delivering the keynote address at the launch of the Ocean Spray Richie Stevens Pot of Gold football competition at Hilton Kingston Hotel.

But Burrell cautioned football-loving Jamaicans that taking football back to its glory years won't be easy. However, he said the job can be accomplished if all parties work together.

"The task is not going to be easy, so we're asking for the support of the public, private sector, government and the football fraternity, and with their help, we will be ready for the challenge," said the FIFA executive member, who was credited with guiding Jamaica to their first World Cup in France in 1998 while he was JFF boss.

Burrell, who lost to outgoing JFF president Crenston Boxhill back in the voting congress in 2003, said he is ready to recommence the nation's football journey and urged fans that they can "go out from now and purchase their yellow-and- green jerseys" as he promised more games at 'The Office'.

"Our football lives when the 5th of November comes will not be the same," the charismatic principal of the Captain's Bakery chain of stores said.

Burrell will walk back to his old job after the November 4 congress in Negril, as he goes to the polls unopposed after Boxhill withdrew from the race.

"I am heartened that we're now united... and that the vast majority of the parishes nominated me for president is a signal of their belief and trust in my leadership," Burrell noted.

Boxhill's administration has been under pressure from detractors early on after taking office, and the pressure mounted after failing to qualify a team to any of FIFA's world tournaments.

Meanwhile, a record 37 teams, up from 35, will contest this season's 10th staging of the Ocean Spray-sponsored Richie Stephens Pot of Gold football competition in Westmoreland.

The winners will collect $30,000 more than the $70,000 which Harmony Town received after beating One-Ten 1-0 in the final last year.

The runners-up will pocket $50,000, up from $35,000. For the first time in the competition, the third- and fourth-placed finishers will collect cash prizes of $20,000 and $10,000, respectively. The most disciplined team will get $30,000 - up from $10,000 - courtesy of Fontana Pharmacy.

President of the Westmoreland FA, Everton Tomlinson, revealed plans to refurbish the Llandilow Sports Complex, with a view to renaming the facility The Richie Stephens Sports Complex in recognition of the charitable work the reggae artiste has been doing in the parish over the years.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Aside:

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    the Llandilow Sports Complex, with a view to renaming the facility The Richie Stephens Sports Complex in recognition of the charitable work the reggae artiste has been doing in the parish over the years.
    This one is new; who renamed Llandilo - Llandilow?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

same people who renamed "kraal" as "crawle" in all likelihood.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I believe the Captain.
        Even if he gets 60 friendlies from the 86 matches that he got for the Reggae Boyz over his two terms I will still be a man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaica2099 View Post
          I believe the Captain.
          Even if he gets 60 friendlies from the 86 matches that he got for the Reggae Boyz over his two terms I will still be a man.
          Huh? YOu will still be a .... "banana" man?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Big up Reggae Fan! The president of Fanz Against Clueless Crexton.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I wonder if Jawge (George) have anyting to do wid it?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Richie Stevens 'inna higher kati-gory.......'
                Ya gotta love it!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                X