United expect big things from deRoux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United expect big things from deRoux

<H1>United expect big things from deRoux</H1><H6></H6><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=335><DIV class=byline>ByCharles Boehm/MLSnet.com Staff</DIV></TD><TD align=right width=155><DIV class=storyTixAd></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV class=articleCaption>Stephen DeRoux impressed in his MLS debut Saturday against RSL.(Tony Quinn/MLS/WireImage.com)</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><DIV class=storyBody>WASHINGTON -- Given the teams' respective places in the standings, D.C United's 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake at RFK Stadium last Saturday was a fairly underwhelming result for the runaway Eastern Conference leaders. But the promising debut of Stephen deRoux provided one bright spot as the left winger made the most of his first-ever senior team appearance with an assertive, energetic display.

"I wouldn't say [there was] pressure, but it was my debut, my first time playing on the big field in front of a 20,000[-person] crowd," he said afterwards. "Before that I just played college, high school. I didn't really have a lot of experience. ... It felt good just getting the cobwebs out. The first game is always the worst. Hopefully next game, we'll go out there and play good and pull out the win."

DeRoux could get an opportunity to do exactly that at Foxborough's Gillette Stadium on Wednesday night, having earned a spot on United's 18-man travel roster for their match against the Revolution.

"He's pushing forward," said D.C. coach Peter Nowak. "He's strong enough with his body and he can blow by the defenders. He can be very good."

The Jamaican-born 22-year-old was a surprise inclusion into the starting lineup against Real, replacing usual fixture Josh Gros due to the latter's accumulation of yellow cards - and while Gros will be back in uniform against the Revs, deRoux's speed and skills offer Nowak an enticing option off the bench.

"Bite. He brings a lot of bite," said Freddy Adu. "He's scary to go against and he doesn't care. That's what I love about him. He goes out there and just works, works, works, runs, runs, runs. And we need that."

Hours spent on the United practice fields have helped Adu and deRoux bond, and that chemistry showed on Saturday as the two combined well down the left flank. DeRoux has been training with United since the beginning of last year, but a broken foot in preseason delayed his signing and he had to overcome injury again in 2006, working through hamstring troubles.

"Yeah, we're very good friends," deRoux said of Adu. "He's a character, man. I look up to him. Even though he's younger than me I still look up to him."

With Adu's encouragement, deRoux showed little of the nervousness typically associated with those who make the substantial step up from the reserves to senior-level action, embarking on several aggressive runs in the opening minutes and firing off United's first shots of the match.

"Coming in the locker room right before the game, I saw that I was starting and all the guys came over to me and congratulated me at first," said deRoux. "Freddy Adu congratulated me and he came to me and told me to just do my thing, just like in practice."

United signed deRoux to a developmental contract a year ago. But he's a discovery player in every sense of the word, having impressed in a tryout after being spotted in the Copa Taca, a highly-regarded amateur tournament featuring players from across the greater Washington area. DeRoux emigrated to the United States at age 13 and prospered at the high school and junior college level despite little formal training.

"I didn't play for a team, a high school team or organized soccer," he said of his Caribbean childhood. "I just played. Growing up it wa
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: United expect big things from deRoux

T.K., please the name United is reserved for ManU ... don't taint the name. Simply using DC is acceptable.:satisfied:
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X