X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenger looks to young Guns

Wenger looks to young Guns

(AFP) Friday 28 September 2007

Arsene Wenger has called on Arsenal to prove their Premiership title credentials ahead of Saturday's potentially treacherous trip to West Ham.
    The Frenchman's talented young side have made a glorious start to the new season, winning five of their six matches in the league and progressing serenely in both the UEFA Champions League and League Cup.

They are already two points clear at the top of the table with a game in hand over nearest rivals Manchester United and have rattled in 19 goals in their last six outings.

If that suggests Arsenal have rediscovered their famous swagger after the trials of last season, Wenger prefers to remain cautious.

The Gunners manager has seen fine starts fizzle out before, most memorably in October 2004, when a controversial 2-0 defeat at Manchester United not only brought the club's 49-game unbeaten run to a shuddering halt but also triggered a collapse which ended their hopes of challenging eventual champions Chelsea.

Wenger is not expecting such an apocalyptic scenario to develop in the event of defeat at Upton Park, but he knows that victory in east London would send an ominous message to his championship rivals.

"I do not feel that one defeat would lead to a collapse like in 2004," he said.

"When you analyse that match, it was after one-and-a-half years without being beaten. We are not on a run like that at the moment. We obviously want to stay where we are now and continue playing good football but there is a long way to go still.

"I am still cautious because it's only the beginning of the season and we need to prove we are consistent at that high level throughout the whole year. I feel our big strength is our togetherness and camaraderie and the fact that everyone is on the same wave-length. It is not easy to keep that in a young team but we must try."

Arsenal's mettle will be severely tested by their London neighbours. West Ham may have spent much of last season wallowing in the relegation zone, weighed down by a combination of poor form and off-field turmoil, but Alan Curbishley's team have been reinvigorated over the summer and could jump into the top three if they extend their recent winning streak over Arsenal to four matches.

Curbishley saw at close quarters how destructive Arsenal can be on Tuesday, when their reserve side dispatched Newcastle in the League Cup, but his own side's spirited start to the season has allowed his confidence to blossom.

"The one thing you know about Arsenal is that they will come and play their game," he said.

"It will be difficult because they are a top side and they've made a fantastic start. I watched them on Tuesday night when they made nine changes so I know how good their squad is. But let's see what happens. It's a proper game, with a great atmosphere, and everyone is looking forward to it."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X