X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLCA.......Wants a Voice

Is the Premier League too long?
    published: Thursday | September 27, 2007

WHILE THERE seems to be much controversy surrounding the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and the likelihood of Captain Horace Burrell's unchallenged return, I would like to take a moment to focus on Cash Plus and the Premier League.

Cash Plus has come in to take over sponsorship from Wray and Nephew, which served top-flight football for the last five years. There were improvements under its watch that are worth noting, so I will say to Wray and Nephew, thank you for your contribution to football.

Coverage improved

First, the coverage of the Premier League has certainly improved with one live game per week on television and all other games attracting reports from all areas of the media.

However, there have also been a number of setbacks during the partnership, as some teams were unable to benefit from personal sponsorships because many interested parties were competitors of the liquor giants.

With Cash Plus coming on board more teams will be able to take up these sponsorship offers and we might see a lessening of teams with financial woes in the Premier League. That being the case, the competition might improve.

With more teams being able to pay for good players and more teams being able to make those players comfortable, football could benefit.

Those benefits might be nullified, however, as the powers that be have determined to have an extra round of games.

After playing 33 games in the Premier League season and adding the games played in other competitions, the parish knockout competitions and the national knockout, are we expecting too much football from our players?

Maybe not, but playing more football will mean taking a different approach to preparation and I'm not sure if teams have prepared themselves for this.

If not, the football, in what will now be a fourth round split in two - as is the case with Scotland, could be quite woeful.

Added to that, the extra sponsorship that clubs might be able to generate might just go into allowing them to play an extended season.

This means elements of the sport like infrastructure, the improvement of pitches and other training facilities, might be put on the back burner.

If that happens, then the stagnation of the league witnessed over the past three or four years might continue.

I'm not sure what benefits there are to an extended season, with the exception of giving Cash Plus more mileage for their whopping $150 million three-year deal, but there are disadvantages I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

The real test of the pudding is in the eating though, so we will await the outcome of this season before we pass judgement and, to be fair, there are other changes I am in complete agreement with.

Over the years, clubs have continuously said the JFF has been making sponsorship deals that were not as beneficial to the clubs as they could be.

No voice

This, the clubs said, was because they didn't have a voice in the negotiations.

That is set to change with the formation of the Premier League Clubs' Association (PLCA).

This organisation, made up of the JFF along with the 12 Premier League teams, is now the group that handles revenue for the league.

The point is to create a body that has the autonomy to do what is best for the league, inclusive of the clubs, since they are the ones that have to play in it.

I like the idea, whether the clubs are capable of handling their own affairs is another question though. Again, I'll have to say, for the answer to that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Send feedback to Paul Andre. Walker@gleanerjm.com
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Can someone please answer my simple question? With new format of the NPL, will teams be relegated and promoted at the end of the season?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yes

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Yes
        how will the profits or losses of the PLCA be disbursed when say Harbour View should be relegated and Port Morant United be promoted? Will the new teams have a say in the PLCA?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

it simple, if you relegated you have no say, just like the EPL. Remember the different leagues like championship have their committees too.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
          X