Gibson calls for UNITY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson calls for UNITY

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Gibson calls for unity in local football</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>MONTEGO BAY - Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) general secretary Burchell Gibson said the local governing body has shown vision and commitment to the development of the sport, and called for patience in the ongoing process.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=150 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>GIBSON... game should be perceived in holistic manner, not in fractions </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Gibson called for football unity, saying the game should be perceived in a holistic manner, and not in fractions.
    Gibson was delivering the main address at Thursday's awards ceremony of the St James Football Association/Sandals Division One league at Frank Warren Chapel at Sandals, Montego Bay.
    Gibson spoke against the background of "the one-sided attack on the current football leadership" which "seems like an annual crusade" by former general secretary Horace Reid of the previous JFF administration.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Gibson said contrary to remarks made by Reid, the previous administration's handling of the finances was not done with prudence, competence and vision.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The Portland FA boss asked whether it was prudent financial management that saw former president Captain Horace Burrell having to lend the federation money, which resulted in the current administration inheriting a debt of over $13m owing to him.
    Gibson said instead of Burrell having to bail out the JFF from time to time, better financial practices should have been implemented to ensure the viability of the federation.<P class=StoryText align=justify>It was the vision of the current administration, he said, that led to "the ownership of real estate (the largest capital investment in the federation's history) that is going to result in the establishment of a football academy that will have a far-reaching impact on the development of football locally".<P class=StoryText align=justify>Gibson compared plans for the academy at Malvern, St Elizabeth, that calls for four full-sized football fields against previous plans for the academy at Portmore that had space for one-and-a-half fields.
    The lands in St Elizabeth, he said, is owned by the JFF - not leased - and would "bring tremendous advantages to the development and sustainability of football in the country".<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to Gibson, it was the vision of the current administration that led to new investments by corporate Jamaica, including an additional $65m from Cable &amp; Wireless and an increase from $10m to $16m by Wisynco.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Gibson cited the growth of women's football and the increase in sponsorship, adding that the JFF has managed to attract significant sponsorship for the various leagues.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He argued that the country's qualification for three sucessive FIFA World Cup tournaments between 1998 and 2000 should have seen significant investments being plowed back into the coffers, but this was not so.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Gibson said the absence of games at the National Stadium following Jamaica's elimination from the 2006 World Cup campaign was not an easy decision, but a calculated gamble which would understandably make the JFF unpopular. However, they could not afford to be reckless, he added.<P class=StoryText align=justify>
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

RE: Gibson calls for UNITY

"According to Gibson, it was the vision of the current administration that led to new investments by corporate Jamaica, including an additional $65m from Cable &amp; Wireless"

uummm am I missing something here?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Gibson said the absence of games at the National Stadium following Jamaica's elimination from the 2006 World Cup campaign was not an easy decision, but a calculated gamble which would understandably make the JFF unpopular. However, they could not afford to be reckless, he added
      Either the reporter or the Gen. Sec. is playing 'hide and seek' - What is the outcome of the calculated gamble mentioned?

BTW - The matter of Burrell's administration not being prudent - whereis even one instance of that administration's recklessness?

That matter ofBurrell loaning the association moniesis not of itself reckless. To prove recklessness the following questions must be answered -Ifmonies had to be borrowed was the JFF in a position to convince other potential lenders to advance thedesired sums? ...and, if there were lenders willing to advance the monies would the terms beequally as favourable as that agreed to by Burrell...or, where there more favourable terms to be had than that agreed to by Burrell?

If I am not mistaken, it was said that Burrell was extremely reckless to himself as the word was theloan wasone that was unsecured, with an interest free rate,andaterm that wasopen-ended.

My understanding, based on media reports attributed to Boxhill and others in the JFF is,Boxhill's administration embraced the favourble terms under which Burrell loaned his funds.

Furtherwhen it was reported that Burrell called for full payment, he was reminded in no uncertain manner ofhis favourable terms. The Boxhill JFF, we were told promised that it would honour its debt to the Good Captain on its terms.

Question: Has Burrell received full repayment or is Boxhill's administration still enjoying use of the monies loaned?

As to activities on the football field theBurrell's administration listed some of its achievementson this website at -

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/docs/BurrellDocs.htm

It is instructive that the Boxhillmanifesto listedachievements during the Burrell years as "history lessons". Some would say that categorizationof the achievements as "history lessons" in one actionvalidates and acknowledges the magnitude ofthe achievements while on the other hand some may consider it dismissive ofg the achievements.That characterizationforces the target audience to bring into sharp focus what has occured during the Burrell years and contrast it with what is now occuring during the reign of this Boxhill administration.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl (9/13/2006)

BTW - The matter of Burrell's administration not being prudent - whereis even one instance of that administration's recklessness?

Karl, you can not be serious!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (9/13/2006)
          Karl (9/13/2006)

Karl, you can not be serious!
          Did you see one quoted instance of the Burrell administration being reckless in Gibson's reported speech?

I hope you are not thinking that lending monies to the company you are working with/foris reckless?

If you do then I suppose you would call

i) shareholders and employees who prop up share prices by "buy-backs"ofand buying of companystocks...

...and or,,,

ii) company directors and investors who loan funds to their companies and or companies in which they have a vested interest...

...and...

iii)persons who loan monies to service companies and or charitable organisations/companies, etc, etc...

...are behaving recklessly (not with their own monies, but...)with the companies?

Are you really thinking along those lines?

Aside: You do know that it is not unknown for companies to turn to the stakeholders for financingwhich may includeloans? Right?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sadly Karl is serious. he is proving Lazie more correect every day that he is fanatical to the point of being disingenious.

You saw where he is actually trying to blame the reporter...boy Karl you really let me down boss truly, I am very dissappointed in your stiff neckedness.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (9/13/2006)Sadly Karl is serious. he is proving Lazie more correect every day that he is fanatical to the point of being disingenious.

You saw where he is actually trying to blame the reporter...boy Karl you really let me down boss truly, I am very dissappointed in your stiff neckedness.
              Siccko I strive to be fair...I do not know as a fact whether your report was as detailed as it could have been. So to cover the possibility that you may have left out pertinent information I listed you.

You may have noticed thatmy post also made it clear that if there was fault it could have been the speaker's.

Comment

Karl, Colin Campbell asked me to get your details, he says he would love to have you working with him in the PNP whitewash campaign
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

freakinig hilarious!
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I think on one hand he is calling for unity while on the other hand he is swinging at the fences albeit in defence. I think though we need a unified approach. Its funny how people who cant show you what there Fa as done locally have so much talk. Gibson and his team has done well with the youth program and womens but you need your senior program to do well and they have failed at helping them to do so. The timing or lack of appointment of a senior coach has hurt them and the program.

Comment

Lazie (9/13/2006) freakinig hilarious!
                      It is! Isn't it!

If Campbell ever gives me a call I'll discuss in detail strategy to take the wind out of the JLP's sails. Yup! Sister P should have the debates with Golding and company --- just before the elections and show the JLP leaders for the silliness they spout.

...as to Boxhill and his backers, I have said it before that i) *there is a way to "hold the detractors at bay" on what is being attempted, and ii) the need to "just do it" as far as building our football is concerned.

*They are putting foot in mouth too often. They need to stop it. Apparently "the how" to stop it is not known to them.

Comment

SIGH!!! I guess the joke was lost on you...like so many other things.

Lazy or Mosiah can you please explain to Karl what I meant...I just dont have the energy right now
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (9/13/2006)SIGH!!! I guess the joke was lost on you...like so many other things.
                          Lazy or Mosiah can you please explain to Karl what I meant...I just dont have the energy right now
                          ...and, yuh really tink seh mi was serious bout Campbell or di Boxhill man demgi mi a kaul? Aaaah bwoy!

Comment

Yep! $65 million.

Comment

Working...
                            X