X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No No No Please No

'I will become JFF president,' says Gibson at PFA Awards

Saturday, September 22, 2007

PORT ANTONIO, Portland - Outgoing general secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Burchell Gibson has vowed to make a return as president of the national body in the future.

In addressing the awards ceremony of the Portland Football Association (PFA) on Saturday evening, a confident Gibson said he had served the parish's football well and it was time for him to move on to bigger things.
    "I think there is nothing else I can do... except becoming the president of the Jamaica Football Federation. You can write down tonight that will come and must come. I think I have time and it will come," declared Gibson who did not seek re-election as president of the PFA at their recent voting congress.

Damion Harwood (left) of St George's FC receives the Portland Credit Union KO trophy from Anthony Morrison (second left) and Latoya Kent (second right) of the sponsoring company at Saturday evening's awards function of the PFA at the Linnette Williams Multi-Purpose Centre in the parish. St George's coach, Donovan Duckie, shares the moment. Gibson, who served as Portland president for some ten years, has been succeeded by Eastern Confederation chairman, Raymond Grant.

In reflecting on his tenure as the PFA boss, Gibson's bag was mixed. He spoke glowingly of the number of players who have progressed national units, and even administrators who served the country at the highest level. He congratulated St Georges for qualifying for the new Cash plus Premier League. However, he cited the failure of the parish to get any of its referees or assitant referee to the FIFA level as disappointing.
    He said he will be leaving feeling sure that Portland's football is in safe hands with the new president and his team.Grant, in his comments, said he is a servant of the sport and has "something to contribute".

Meanwhile, St George's Football Club was the toast at the awards ceremony held at the Linnette Williams Multi-Purpose Centre, were on the night being honoured for coming out on top in the Portland's President 20-20 football competition, the Portland Credit Union Knockout, fairplay award in the Caribbean International Network (CIN) U-16 and third-place in the Dr Donald Rhodd U-20.

Also their top player, Damion Harwood was adjudged the Player of the Year and Donovan Duckie took the Coach of the Year award. Steven Hill of sponsor CIN pledged his company's continued support. "We have to invest in the youth, if we invest in the young people they will be the salvation of Jamaica. Your success will be because of your dedication, your sense of purpose, your discipline and hard work," he said.

All the other sponsors gave their commitment to continue to support the parish's football at various levels.Guest speaker Carole Beckford, former president of the Volleyball Associations of Jamaica, said "sports should be used as a development tool aimed at improving our quality of life".

seems to be PJ Patterson inspired. Lets hope that for our sake he doesn't get back into the JFF office ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
      seems to be PJ Patterson inspired. Lets hope that for our sake he doesn't get back into the JFF office ever again.
      heh hem!

Comment

And what was so awful about Burchell Gibson as general secretary in this administration?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Simple - he ran against Burrell, that in itself a grievous crime, or didnt you know that?
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Kick me next time yuh see mi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I promise!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

but..but you don't work here!?!

(Jamaica Broilers commercial)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

brilliant dawn penn impersonation!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    And what was so awful about Burchell Gibson as general secretary in this administration?
                    What is your understanding that a General Secretary's duties should be?

Comment

Generally secretarial?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Generally secretarial?
                        Like making sure a CD of the anthem is available perhaps? Or coordinating flight arrangments?

Comment

Working...
                        X