• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local football clubs urged to become more professional

Local football clubs urged to become more professional
    published: Tuesday | September 18, 2007

Nagra Plunkett, Assignment Coordinator

WESTERN BUREAU:
    A call has been made for local football clubs to develop the sport into an export and service industry.

The call was made by Victor Drum, heritage tourism and crop diversification manager at Sugar Company of Jamaica, Frome Division, while giving the main address at the Reno Football Club awards ceremony at Sandals Whitehouse in Westmoreland on Sunday.

"I say export service because we need to firstly define the type of business that we are in. It is only by putting it in the correct context that we will understand its true worth," Mr Drum said.

According to Mr. Drum, football needs to be lifted to a more professional level if the sport hopes to attract investors.

"We need that transformation in the way we think ... that is where the difference lies. It starts with the thought process," the business executive said. " ... If we take our sports to the level of treating it in the same fashion as we would a business, I am sure that it would attract investors, particularly at a time when the country is awash with cash."

He continued: "I think that there is a high level of liquidity and investors want to find safe and attractive investments for their funds and I put it to you that sports offer that option."

Strategic planning
    He also proposed that a strategic plan for the next five years be put in place to coincide with his suggestion.

"Football offers the next takeoff business for Jamaica. With its wealth of talent we need to take charge and chart the course for revolutionising the sport," Mr. Drum added. "If we examine some of the approaches taken by some of the more developed economies, I think that is the basis on which we can start."

He singled out the football successes of Europe, Latin America and North America, as ones to mirror.
    "It is not far-fetched therefore, that we here in Jamaica can make our mark among the higher earners in the sport, but I think we must start by preparing ourselves to get back to the big stage. It becomes that more difficult when we fail to qualify for the World Cup" Mr. Drum concluded. "The big stage is where the ultimate market is. It is where the ultimate scouting takes place and I think we must do everything possible in our power to ensure that we get to South Africa come 2010."

Reno finished third in the 2005/2006 Wray and Nephew National Premier League competition.
    Among the list of players recognised at Sunday's function were Kendre Quarrie, most improved, and O'brian 'Beckham' Woodbine, who was adjudged the most outstanding player of the year.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

standard call...when anyone is addressing the football fraternity and they need a ready made speech.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Wah you say Gamma dem just say it but dem no believe it? A lie

Maybe thats why when mi send them the formula aka the WAY fi get it done thats why dem no respond back to me.

You are right sir you know how much people fi link me and all now mi still deh yah a wait pon dem fi get in touch with me so wi can get it started and mi can accumulate some "works" so as to have a resume.

Thats why you have to listen to people who know(humility really is the key to knowledge to rhatid, if only I had known that before)

respect

Comment

Is like there is a speech that people can borrow from the library and this is the speech de jour right now.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X