X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uefa investigates Scolari scuffle

Uefa investigates Scolari scuffle

Scolari will step down as Portugal coach in July 2008

Uefa has begun an investigation into an incident involving Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari in his side's Euro 2008 qualifying match against Serbia.

The Group A rivals shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw, but the game was overshadowed by Scolari's actions.

The Brazilian, 58, appeared to lash out at Ivica Dragutinovic after the Serbian defender was dismissed in added time.
    A Uefa statement said: "Luiz Felipe Scolari and Ivica Dragutinovic both face a charge of improper conduct."

Scolari has issued an apology, explaining he had been infuriarated when Dragutinovic insulted his family.
    "I apologise to Portugal and to the Portuguese people, because I feel at home here," said Scolari.

"It was a situation with a lot of confusion and I was only protecting my athletes.
    "Words in Spanish directed at my family, I understand perfectly well.
    "As such when I reacted, it was the wrong reaction but sometimes even rational and normal people err."

Portugal have drawn their last three qualifying games and fallen off the pace in their group.

They lie third, four points shy of Poland in top spot, and having seen Serbia draw level with an 88th-minute goal from Branislav Ivanovic the setback clearly inflamed Scolari.

He came into contact with me - it's unacceptable on the part of a coach - Ivica Dragutinovic

Dragutinovic told Belgrade's Sportski zurnal: "It's a serious act.
    "Scolari came into contact with me, yes. I think it's unacceptable on the part of a coach.
    "I'm going to meet the federation and we'll decide what we have to do. I was talking with Quaresma when it all started. Everything was caught on camera."

Serbian coach confirmed Javier Clemente said they would be taking the incident up with European football's governing body.

"It was obvious that the Portuguese lost their cool because they weren't happy with the result," said Clemente.
    "I can't understand how a coach who has won the World Cup cannot stand to lose. If he isn't capable of doing this he should change jobs.

"I hope that Uefa's disciplinary commission will judge this matter fairly."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X