Why Man United's flair will conquer Liverpool's self-belief,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Man United's flair will conquer Liverpool's self-belief,

Man United's flair will conquer Liverpool's self-belief, Chelsea's talent and Arsenal's kids

For a long time Manchester United were undoubtedly England's best team but with the emergence of three legitimate challengers for the crown, it's anyone's guess who'll be 2007-08 Champions. Jason Willis shares his thoughts on the title race.

For the last couple of seasons, Chelsea have been the only real threat to the dominance of Manchester United through their big spending, whilst Liverpool have experienced an overhaul of players and if recent performances are anything to go by, look like formidable opponents.

Arsenal, having lost Thierry Henry to Barcelona, look refreshed and revitalised now that the eye is on the squad and not the French hitman. We’ve already experienced a clash of the Big Four with Chelsea and Liverpool drawing in a controversial 1-1 stalemate - and the rest of the games will be as high profile as ever.

During Sir Alex Ferguson's regime, United have been one of the most dominant teams the world has seen, clinching the Premier League title an astonishing nine times, the FA Cup on five occasions, the League Cup twice, the Community Shield seven times and the Champions League, Cup Winners Cup, Intercontinental Cup and UEFA Super Cup once each.

They still continue to impress with the inspired signings of Carlos Tevez, Nani, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves joining the already illustrious Old Trafford ranks. So when you look at the squad, you see a side with so many attacking options that you would be a fool to bet against them scoring in any game. With Hargreaves protecting the back four in that holding role, it gives the upfield squad the freedom to go forward and hammer the opposing goal. And with players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick, Tevez and many more, I would quiver in goal facing them. They have flair, they have style and best of all, they have options.

Due to the standards United have set themselves, the poor start they have experienced makes me no less eager to watch them this season. And who else is better prepared to set the Premier League alight?

But then Arsenal without Henry look like a new team with new confidence. And with less attention paid to TH14, they have the freedom to show just what they can do with their beautiful passing and talented youngsters. It’s been said that Arsenal won’t win the title with youngsters and that they lack experience. However, looking at their performances of late and not forgetting the unbelievable show they put on against Chelsea in the Carling Cup Final, I’m again excited at the prospect of watching Arsene Wenger's team play out their potential. With Robin van Persie, Cesc Fabregas, Lassana Diarra, Aleksandr Hleb, Denilson, Kolo Toure and Abou Diaby they, too, have players capable of amazing things.

Chelsea, on the other hand, although never letting themselves be written off, seem to have taken their foot off the gas of late. They made the Premier League their own over two seasons which made me think that nobody would be able to match them for years. They have talent and future stars undeniably, but the outspoken Jose Mourhino can’t seem to find the right balance for his squad and with constant and unwarranted pressure from Roman Abramovich, he and his team don’t look as comfortable as they have been.

Frank Lampard is an inspired player for the Blues, along with Didier Drogba, and when both are fully fit with players around them like John Obi Mikel, Claudio Pizarro, Michael Essien, the two Coles and the infamous Andriy Schevchenko, they are also a force to be reckoned with. I feel that Chelsea’s best chances lie with Schevchenko. If they could just sort out their backroom problems they have just as much chance as the others to claim top spot.

I’ve saved Liverpool until last due to the fact that I am amazed with what has been happening down at Anfield. The new-look squad have been setting the Premiership alight with performances of grit, determination and flair. Rafa Benitez has been a revelation on Merseyside over the last few years, winning the Champions League and reaching the final a second time last season, losing in the rematch to AC Milan.

They look sharp, confident and have a real self-belief that they can maintain the top place they currently occupy. It's vital they keep that self-belief - If they lose it, then they will also lose their momentum and eventually miss out on the biggest honours. This season is fringing on the performances of key players like Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Xabi Alonso, Jamie Carragher, Momo Sissoko, John Arne Riise and Sami Hyypia.

Personally I feel that this will be the best Premier League season for years - full of excitement and one to remember.

My Prediction: 1 Manchester United, 2 Liverpool, 3 Chelsea, 4 Arsenal.

I also predict there will be very few points in it at the top coming down to the last game of the season.
    However, draw your own conclusions. As for me, I almost want the season to be over already just so I can see how it ends!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Lazie, please post the football schedule for tomorrow.

You and Tilla have been slipping up in this area for the past few weeks..

(Thanks in advance)
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

it was already posted....apologise to the man!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        Lazie, please post the football schedule for tomorrow.

You and Tilla have been slipping up in this area for the past few weeks..

(Thanks in advance)
        Already did boss! Tilla will post the Setanta schedule later.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          it was already posted....apologise to the man!
          Thats why its good for one to have an attorney!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Arsenal, having lost Thierry Henry to Barcelona, look refreshed and revitalised now that the eye is on the squad and not the French hitman.
            Ahem!

...and,

But then Arsenal without Henry look like a new team with new confidence. And with less attention paid to TH14, they have the freedom to show just what they can do with their beautiful passing and talented youngsters. It’s been said that Arsenal won’t win the title with youngsters and that they lack experience. However, looking at their performances of late and not forgetting the unbelievable show they put on against Chelsea in the Carling Cup Final, I’m again excited at the prospect of watching Arsene Wenger's team play out their potential. With Robin van Persie, Cesc Fabregas, Lassana Diarra, Aleksandr Hleb, Denilson, Kolo Toure and Abou Diaby they, too, have players capable of amazing things.
            Ahem!

My Prediction: 1 Manchester United, 2 Liverpool, 3 Chelsea, 4 Arsenal.
            grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Mi reguls-benzz...yuh right. Sarry Iah!!

(seems like I have to miss the Wast ham game to go to the gym. back by 12 for the Chelsea game...)

Lazie, Tilla 'T'...sarry.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

??????

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Is this from Man U website ?
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                  X