No announcement yet.

need quality players for NCAA Division 1 program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great..would like to look into it more with him...thanks for the advice as well..I agree with you one hundred percent.

Comment

Assasin, Bill and Mosiah: I would suggest you guys make use of the personal messaging features of the forum if you want to discuss other things which you think may not be best for the public space.

Yes Bill, as Assasin said, you do not want to advertise your interest in a good player meeting both academic and athletic requirements here, only to have him lured away by a bigger school like the St Johns or U Conn. Assasin can tell you that this has happened in the past.

Otherwise, we are happy to follow the discussion with you and whoever wants to take part if you feel there is nothing to be kept under the hat at this time.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Assasin...I was about to tell Mosiah to make sure the players he (might)recommend to Bill are literate and numerate. (No 'xcuse me for being blunt............................................. ......................).
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I trust Mosiah HL. Remember, Mo is a Munro old boy, so I know he can find students with the right combination of academic and athleticc talent to recommend. We would like for him to not only look to Munro, but try find the best talent he can recommend irrespective which school they are from.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moravek View Post
            Thanks...I have been out of the loop for the past few years really because I have been concentrating on my two boys...which by the way, my oldest who has just turned 5 is wicked. He can pretty much do anything with a football dribbling...and can run like a gazelle :-). The job came open though...and first I said..I do not want to head coach..right off. As it would take away from my kids...and they said (the AD and head coach) I could have my boys at all the practices...home and away games etc. etc.....they have been very accomodating in that regard...so that was the reason for taking it more than anything else...the head coach is cool with no ego (for once)..so that was a plus as well.
            Re: The kids
            I know the emotions of a proud papa...Very nice!
            Enjoy them!

Re: The job
            Very best of luck!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

the amount of players making it to D1 college in the USA is very disappointing to say the least. Not many. Last year I know a coach who had money which included STIPEN, the package was better than some A league deal and couldn't find anybody, he eventually gave the deal to a under 20 player from a Central American country.

The SAT score for most is not impressive.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If you want footballers with good scores, go to Campion and ask them for their top two footballers. They usually have two ballers who are very good and the rest don't make the cut.

The problem would be convincing them to take up the offer to a small school.

Comment

usually dem have choices and schools vying for them academically too. just the facts.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Some of the kid there would rather go to a better academic school even without a full scholarship.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

true...but mek wi si whey wi can do for the less fortunate...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Firstly, let me say I have no particular bias when it comes to something like this. If I see the talent and they can back it up with some decent academics, then they will be recommended by me. Of course, I will tend to know the Munro and STETHS players more than others. And don't worry - I think coaches know what they are looking for so if they get a chance to see the players for themselves my recommendation does not count for much.

The trouble is, as Assasin said, there are many talented ballers out there who do not get selected for these scholarships because of their academics. Even some Munro ballers fail to get the minimum SAT scores. If it wasn't for their decent CXC results and overall transcripts, dem woulda salt!

Indeed, for the annual Hibbert Tournament, I think it would be a good thing to screen the players who intend to take part. Why waste these coaches' time? Usually, we have so many school teams taking part, it would be better if we have smaller numbers, those who can actually take up these scholarships, so the coaches can take a longer look at them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

[quote=Mosiah;46101]Firstly, let me say I have no particular bias when it comes to something like this. If I see the talent and they can back it up with some decent academics, then they will be recommended by me. Of course, I will tend to know the Munro and STETHS players more than others. And don't worry - I think coaches know what they are looking for so if they get a chance to see the players for themselves my recommendation does not count for much.

The trouble is, as Assasin said, there are many talented ballers out there who do not get selected for these scholarships because of their academics. Even some Munro ballers fail to get the minimum SAT scores. If it wasn't for their decent CXC results and overall transcripts, dem woulda salt!

Indeed, for the annual Hibbert Tournament, I think it would be a good thing to screen the players who intend to take part. Why waste these coaches' time? Usually, we have so many school teams taking part, it would be better if we have smaller numbers, those who can actually take up these scholarships, so the coaches can take a longer look at them.[/quote]

Excellent suggestion!
                          Suggest yuh run wid hit tuh di persons wid di power tuh mek changes dat conform wid yuh suggestion.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think you should make the coach seeking the players make the decision. What one coach looks for in a player is not what the other may look for. We also know how we Jamaicans judge football talent.

We have seen where folks on here never had any respect for a Khari Stephenson or Damani Ralph during their time leading up to college. Coaches however saw something differently and drafted these players.

I feat that if we turn away some of these players, we could be missing the opportunity to present a daimond in the rough to some of the coaches/scouts seeking players.

I hate the screen test bit as it serves no purpose than to weed out people. Most times it weeds out those who really have the potential and could be a success but only needing the opportunity.

Comment

I am talking about weeding them out if they will not be able to secure a scholarship. What's wrong with that?!?!

This would allow others, who can pick up the scholarships, more playing time in front of the coaches, so they can really get to show off their talent.

In any case, you may not have to worry about that, Tilla. Some players will be sitting their SAT after the tournament so it would be unfair to weed them out before they even sit the exam. But trust me, I know the frustation of the coaches when they pre-select 20 people and only 3 can be offered scholarships.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

nothing nuh wrong with been bias as long as your open to others.

Comment

Working...
                                X