• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ISSA boss targets new HQ, quality football

New ISSA boss targets new HQ, quality football

BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, September 02, 2007

A place for the Inter-Secondary School Sports Association (ISSA) to call home, complete with its own mini-stadium and courts, is the dream of new boss Dr Walton Small.

SMALL... we could rent facilities to help run some competitions

The ISSA president hopes this dream will start to come true during his tenure, along with more competition between rural and urban football teams, and an interactive website.

The Montego Bay native, who was voted in on June 15 to replace long-time president Clement Radcliffe, said even if there is no building, he hopes to secure the property, or at least an artist's sketch of what the building should look like, whether or not he is asked to serve beyond the next two years.

"This building is inadequate," he said, referring to ISSA's present headquarters - a renovated house at 21 Lindsay Crescent in Kingston.

"If you're looking at developing an organisation and taking it to another level you have to look way beyond the tip of your nose. I'm thinking a nice multi-storey building, a stadium with running track, football field, netball courts," he added.

Dr Small said this facility could significantly reduce the cost of staging the annual Boys' and Girls' Athletic Championships which currently run into millions of dollars because of the cost of renting the National Stadium.
    "If we have our own, at least for the first two days or so we can do our run-offs there and just use the Stadium for the last two days," he said.
    "There are some sports at ISSA which do not attract any sponsors and if we have this facility we could even look at renting it out and using the funds to help to run some of those other competitions which get no sponsorship at all," he added.

Dr Small, who was named chairman of the daCosta Cup football competition in 2002 - four years after becoming principal of St James-based Anchovy High in 1998 - told the Sunday Observer he has already asked Glenmuir's coach Patrick 'Jackie' Walters to examine a competition structure which would have rural and urban football teams meeting more than just for the Olivier Shield and help lift the standard of the sport at the same time.

"When you look sometimes at the teams that go through to the second round, it's amazing that a team can go through and get nine- and 10-nil when a quality team cannot go through because of how it is zoned," Dr Small said.

"If we can develop strategically a structure where students go and play competitive football, I'm sure the quality will improve and the same thing goes for other sports.," he stated.

A schools' volleyball competition is on the agenda as well, with a chairperson having already being appointed to get the contest underway in the coming school year.

"I'm almost 90 per cent sure we can get it started before the end of this sporting year," said the ISSA boss.

The father of five who earned a PhD in Educational Administration from Ball State University in Indiana in 1995, said the creation of a website which will make access to results of games and registration for certain events easier for schools has already been examined.

"The technology of nowadays. ISSA is an organisation which has a large diaspora and you need an interactive website where people can go and get updates and yes, it's going to cost money, but I think that's where we need to go," he said.

The Cornwall College old boy who taught biology, chemistry and physics at his alma mater, before moving to Bethlehem Teachers College where he taught professional subjects, will be setting up office hours when he will travel to Kingston to make it easier for various ISSA interests to have access to him.

"It's something I want to set that the public knows that they can call me at the office and they will have access to the president because sometimes just a talk can alleviate a lot of the concerns," Dr Small said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Sickko or anyone with a email link to this gentleman please send it on to ShattaCleve@yahoo.com.

Karl I was at the Magic Show in las Vegas for 2 days(held at the Las Vegas convention center) and trust mi if you want to see how much Brand Jamaica is worth you have to be there.

All the players in the fashion industry was there from the factories in China to the sourcers, to the fabric makers to the buyers to the retailers and wholesalers.

I stopped by a booth that made license jerseys for the NBA and some soccer teams. $5 can get you a jersey made if you buy at least 500.

Didn't I tell you that it was only a matter of time before it all came together and that sooner than later we will find what we seek(seek ye first the kingdom of God and everything after a dat mi mother tell me fi do so how mi fi go round her things?)

In 2 days I saw enough to realise that we don't need to be begging anyone anything like we are used to. We can make our own things and sell them and then have people come to us.

All we need to do is get the license right to make and sell them instead of beating people above the head to make them. We can also make our own replica jerseys and sell them without infringing on others patent or copyright.

Who is to say we can't sell a Jamaican colour Jersey with our own pattern?
    We can make our own windbreaker jackets etc. Samples can be made and put up and then orders taken etc. etc.

Every school can have their jersey's online at the ISSA site and we license it.

It was a long search but now its......

here is the website of the company and I have their catologue. I stop asking people to come onboard and so I will do everything myself as if I can talk about it all the time then surely I must be able to walk the walk.
    www.ky-union.com www.globalsource.com/kyg.co

GAME OVER

Comment

By the way we need to invest in one of those factories for Jamaica. If we can give hotels millions of US dollars in tax break then we need to have one of these factories for BRAND JAMAICA if we are really serious.

We can kill two birds with one stone.
      Provide jobs for the youths and earn foreign exchange at the same time.
      We need to learn from Walter Rodney and read the book how Europe Underdevelop Africa so as not to continue making the same mistake.

If we can give Air Jamaica US $500,000,000(half a billion dollars or hard earned tax payers money over to the planters class to build up his hotel) then we can invest US $6,000,000 in our own factory for our own people.

When Portia wins the election I wonder if the Observer's owner ago pack up and leave because along with Mark Wignal dem have the uninformed squarely behind Bruce Golding as they try to take us back into slavery.

Its like dem want to stop prophecy and go against the word as it was written. Then again the word said many more will have to suffer and many more will have to die.

Back to topic

All we need in Jamaica is some factories and its over. We can then turn around and with our closeness to market kill the entire business as instead of 1 month from China it can take days from Jamaica

Memba China name is mud now and with fair wages a run the place people will pay a premium for our products as its already BRAND RASTA.

Will get the factories going

respect

Comment

Yuh think we can pay Chineee salaries in Jamaica? Good intentions by theway.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Karl, I know this man! He was a School House man. I think he might have been a cricket captain at CC. He was a few years ahead of me.
          "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Hortikal have you ever heard of FAIR WAGES? well the new in thing now is to pay people fair wages and not slave wages. People the world over pay a premium to say that their clothes aren't manufactured by slave labour.

Why do we need Chinese wages when we haven't yet EXPLORED the idea of how much it would cost to manufacture our own thing?

I know its hard for us to get out from thinking as WORKERS and it will take time as yours truly with an accounting background didn't even think of owning my own corporation until the Empress told me I was a hustler and needed to get my act right.

I was taught to work for others so I know that its not easy to change our frame of mind from that of a SLAVE to that of a free man. Its even harder because most of us don't think that we are slaves or second-class citizens

Its an everyday struggle but how good and how pleasant it would be.....

Sickko do you have any link to the Northern Caribbean University and the man from Cash Plus? I notice whenever mi send out mi emails people run to do what I say in the emails but now game over as dem ago need to come to the table

free advice done!!
            The sitting and watching and stealing time up. Now its time for Cash Plus to come to the table to take this thing to the next level.

I GUARANTEE that in a few weeks you will see someone starting off a factory in Jamaica.

As a man thinketh so is he

respect

Comment

SIDEBAR:

Seems like Jamaica has more PhD's per capita when compared to all the countries of the world.

These PhD's appear to have no problem in getting elected...

Jamaicans are in love with PhD's. They are awed by the "Doctor" connotation.

The irony is: I find it difficult to understand a country having so many bright individuals (PhD's) in leadership...with an equal level of backwardness (in some areas).

Take the government leader of finance for example........................................... ................................
              BTW: (Please let me know if you need more examples)
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
              X