The Russian influence in Scottish Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Russian influence in Scottish Football

<TR><TD colspan="3"><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Romanov admits to team influence </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD valign="top" width="416"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Romanov has shaken up Scottish football since arriving at Tynecastle</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Vladimir Romanov has admitted that he has influenced Hearts' squad selections and has promised to continue his close involvement in first-team affairs.

The Tynecastle majority shareholder said: "To be able to pick the team, you should be at the training ground twice a day and, as you know, I am not.

"However, it's not enough for the coach Vladas Ivanauskas to make the choices.

"Sometimes there are situations when I ask the coach searching questions about the make-up of the team."

The Russian was speaking from Kaunas, where he watched Scotland defeat Lithuania in a Group B Euro 2008 qualifier.

Former Soviet nuclear submariner Romanov took a controlling interest of the Edinburgh club in February 2005.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbgq><DIV><DIV class=mva> I want to know how much the coach knows about each and every player. <BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva>Vladimir Romanov</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And he has already dispensed with previous managers John Robertson, George Burley and Graham Rix before the appointment of Ivanauskas.

He has often been accused of involving himself in first-team matters and his revelations will confirm the suspicions of Hearts supporters.

"I will ask Valdas why a particular player has been selected, like Takis Fyssas instead of Lee Wallace," he added.

"The coach will say: 'During the training session, Fyssas was stronger and better'.

"Then I will ask: 'But did he have a proper medical test before the game?'

"If I see that the coach is in any doubt about his answer then there is a doubt about his decision.

"So then I ask the club doctor about the two players and if they had fitness tests.

"That is my level of involvement. I want to know how much the coach knows about each and every player."

Romanov has set his sights high, with visions of on-field success and ambitious plans to redevelop Tynecastle.

"When I took over, my main target was for Hearts to become Scottish champions," he explained.

"But I realised both Rangers and Celtic wanted to kill Hearts, but they are too late to do that now."

Romanov also insists he wants the club to focus on bringing through young talent, with players such as Andrew Driver, Lee Wallace and Christophe Berra making an impact.

"Last season I was asking: 'Why is Andrew Driver not playing more often?' and they were laughing at me," added Romanov.

"But now we can see what this player brings to the team."
    </TD></TR>
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X