• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal 1-0 Man City

Arsenal 1-0 Man City

By Phil McNulty

</B>
    Arsenal defender Kolo Toure challenges Man City's Emile Mpenza

Cesc Fabregas pierced Manchester City's defence for the first time this season with a late strike to give Arsenal a hard-fought victory.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's side again looked impressive, with Martin Petrov and Emile Mpenza missing glorious chances.

But Arsenal took control, with City keeper Kasper Schmeichel saving Robin van Persie's 65th-minute penalty after Micah Richards fouled Alexander Hleb.
    Fabregas then sealed the win, firing home powerfully with 10 minutes left.

scotty_arsenal

Arsenal lost Philippe Senderos in the pre-match warm-up when he aggravated an ankle injury, forcing Arsene Wenger to draft Gilberto Silva into central defence.

And Arsenal's lack of cohesion at the back led to half-chances for City, who defended stoutly and counter-attacked with intent.

Petrov had already shot wastefully wide before Arsenal lost another defender after only 19 minutes, Bacary Sagna limping off after a collision with team-mate Mathieu Flamini.
    City's Brazilian midfield man Elano fired into the arms of Arsenal keeper Manuel Almunia with players unmarked either side after another impressive break.

Arsenal came more into contention as the interval approached, with Van Persie sending a rising drive over the bar and then just failing to get on the end of Fabregas' cross.
    But City were looking a well-organised outfit, and came closest to breaking the deadlock after 57 minutes, Petrov firing inches wide from Elano's pass.

Mpenza was then denied by the diving Almunia as City demonstrated why they have started the season so well.
    Arsenal missed the best opportunity of the game after 65 minutes when referee Chris Foy awarded a penalty after Richards fouled Hleb.

But Schmeichel was the hero as he blocked Van Persie's spot-kick with his legs.

The youngster then saved well from Van Persie and Fabregas as Arsenal attempted to end their growing frustration.
    The Gunners finally broke City's stubborn resistance with 10 minutes left, Fabregas taking a pass from Hleb and unleashing a high drive beyond Schmeichel from the angle.

Fuelled by a sense of relief, Arsenal poured forward and Schmeichel saved well from Tomas Rosicky, Hleb sending the rebound narrowly wide. But there was almost a dramatic finish when Schmeichel joined the attack for a corner and forced a fine save from Almunia with a powerful header.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Who needs Henry?

Well what a game! fabregas played very well who needs henry? last week spurs where running there mouth at the might gooners? what are you saying now!

UTMA!!!!!

Latest comments

comment by ThePrideofArsenal
    posted 18 Minutes Ago

We had too many chances. Should have killed the game off time ago.

posted 17 Minutes Ago

We should have scored 1 if not 2 in the first half but hey, I'm still happy with our start.

posted 13 Minutes Ago

9 pounts from four games and two of those were obviously against united and Arsenal, great start to the season and an interesting week ahead with new signings to come!

C'mo City!!!

posted 12 Minutes Ago

Good game by man city but had arsenal name all over it from the start

comment by STANDUPFORTHEAFC
    posted 12 Minutes Ago
    ARSENAL TILL I DIE!

posted 11 Minutes Ago

We kept knocking and knocking, till eventually we got in!

posted 7 Minutes Ago

games like this, last season, we would have drawn

posted 5 Minutes Ago

This is exactly the kind of game we would have lost last year.!!! This is the new Arsenal.All premiership field goals from our midfielders so far.Come on you gunners...1-Nil to the Arsenal..... 1-Nil to the Arsenal....

comment by seunjohnson

posted 3 Minutes Ago
    I am seeing this team developing day by day and game by game.If you look at this game you can feel there is improvement from the previous games.I feel the players played with maturity despite the international midweek game.
    I feel we would have a strong say in this seasons EPL

comment by scotty_arsenal
    posted 1 Minute Ago
    This just goes to show Never right the gunners off!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Who needs Henry? I do hope Arsenal face Barca in the CL.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

dna is a helluva thing bwoy! big up young schmiechel...yuh know how hard it must be to follow in the great dane's footsteps? poor jordi cryuff try and try but never came close to johann's shadow.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Who needs Henry? I do hope Arsenal face Barca in the CL.
          Lazie: Too early in the season to see how this will turn out! ...but, do you think it will take the young guns at least one season to adjust?

I saw the match today -
          Defense was make-shift and naturally appeared to need more matches together.

Forwards appeared to need to shoot more often...and, to be more composed 'on the shot'.

Middle appeared to be best settled...yet, gave away the ball more often than the 'real Gunners' do.

Conclusion: Early season - early days!
          TEAM looks full of potential for achieving greater solidity...and, effectiveness.

Well pleased with what I saw. 3 matches played - 2 pts dropped! Good!

Comment

Working...
          X