RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is KSAFA just as inefficient as the JFF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is KSAFA just as inefficient as the JFF?

Decision time for KSAFA U-15 finalist
    published: Wednesday | August 22, 2007

Robert Bailey, Freelance Writer

The extensive delay of the Kingston and St. Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) Under-15 league final has served as a 'demotivating factor' to the only team certain to play in the championship game, Harbour View Football Club (HVFC).

The final should have been played more than a month ago between Harbour View and Waterhouse but was postponed.

Meadhaven United, who were defeated by Waterhouse in the semi-finals, have lodged a protest against their opponents for using an ineligible player. The matter has since been referred to the KSAFA appeal board which is yet to make a final decision.

Twiddling thumbs
    In the meantime, Harbour View are practically 'twiddling their thumbs' and the club's general manager, Clyde Jureidini, says it has become a mental drag.

"It (the delay) wouldn't have affected us too much apart from the ongoing preparation," Jureidini revealed in a recent interview with The Gleaner. "But it really has affected the team mentally more than anything else.
    "We have been prepared and haven't been in good nick to win the competition, having to sit and wait so long," he said.

Asked if the delay was putting additional financial strain on the club, he revealed it was not much.

"It's not a great financial output for our Under-15 team, but it's really a demotivating factor for these youngsters to sit around and not know what to expect," he explained.

Jureidini added that Harbour View had done nothing wrong but were being made to wait to contest the final.

Final announcement
    Meanwhile Stewart Stephenson, president of KSAFA, said the appeals committee will hold a meeting today, following which a final announcement will be made.

"The board will be holding a meeting today and so I am expecting that a final decision will be made. Then we will inform the teams of our decision and then hope-fully the finals will be played no later than this Saturday," said Stephenson.

He added: "A number of these Under-15 players are either young enough to play Under-13 or old enough to play Under-17, so they are not idle. In fact, most of the players in these clubs are either playing in the Under-13 or the Under-17 competitions."

When contacted about the matter, David Hunt, president and coach of Meadhaven United, would only say his club is awaiting the decision from KSAFA.

Efforts were also made to get a response from the Waterhouse Football Club. Its president, Peter Hibbert, referred The Gleaner to the club's general secretary, Felix Porter. All calls made to his mobile phone were directed straight to voicemail and a message, requesting for a call to be returned, up to press time yesterday, had not yielded any success.
    Last edited by Karl; August 22, 2007, 11:51 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

btw what was prendergast's comments all about...saying that stepenson should not run....he may have a point but nit came across sounding almost threatening!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Missed that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

saw it in saturday or sunday's observer......it made raise an eyebrow.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I saw it and it talk about him been a part of the Burrell team.

In my opinion he has no right to talk about the man nuh fi run, for football unity sake.

Even though I doubt Stephenson will not run but a the man choice.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Could you find the article for me, please?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ask and it shall be given
              August 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
              Karl vbmenu_register("postmenu_40709", true);

'Stephenson shouldn't run for JFF presidency'
              'Stephenson shouldn't run for JFF presidency'
              . Prendergast says move counteracts unity within JFF

BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter - bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
              Sunday, August 19, 2007

Celebrated Jamaican referee Peter Prendergast is disappointed that Kingston & St Andrew FA (KSAFA) boss, Ambassador AB Stewart Stephenson, is considering running for JFF president.

"I think it's really unfortunate that Stewart (Stephenson) is even considering contesting the presidency," Prendergast said.
              "It might be very difficult for him to get even nominated, much less to contest it," the former FIFA official added.

Stephenson, who is in his fourth term as KSAFA boss, said he would make a definite decision tomorrow on whether he will contest the top post, if he can drum up enough support, or failing that, run for vice-president under former president Captain Horace Burrell if the latter is the only nominee for president.

"I've always maintained that in terms of the leadership of the (country's) football, I believe that I have all the capabilities, the skills and the experience to lead and I'm sure that we have those who could form a team," Stephenson told Sunday Observer from Stockholm, Sweden, in a recent exclusive interview following current president Crenston Boxhill's announcement that he would not be seeking re-election.

In accordance with article 7 (F) of the JFF by-laws, the names of candidates for the presidency, first, second and third vice-presidents, treasurer and ex-officio director (executive officer), all of whom are eligible for re-election, must be submitted by at least three members from three separate parish associations to the general secretary 60 days before the date of the Congress - on or before Wednesday, September 5, 2007.

Nominations for the aforementioned positions shall not be accepted on the floor of the Congress.

However, Prendergast, who is president of the Jamaica Football Referees Association (JFRA) and a member of Captain Burrell's backing team, told the Sunday Observer that a run for the top position by Stephenson would go against his claims of wanting to unify the sport in the country.

"Personally I think it is unnecessary and it goes against the grain of the claim that you're trying to unify the JFF, if there is 11 or 12 out of 13 and you're trying to jump in then it is clear that the parishes have thrown their support behind a particular candidate so I'm disappointed about that," Prendergast said.

According to Sunday Observer sources, 11 of the 13 parish associations have indicated their support of former president Captain Horace Burrell for nomination.

He also suggested that a decision to run for president may compromise a bid for the vice-presidency if Stephenson does not get enough support for the top position.

"How will that affect his bid for the post below?" the former international referee questioned. "I think this in itself could be the determining factor."
              The battle for the title of local football's head honcho will culminate at Sandals Negril Beach Resort on November 4, when the association's Special General Meeting (Voting Congress) takes place.

Crenston Boxhill created a major upset by defeating Captain Horace Burrell 54-49 at the last Voting Congress at the Starfish Resort in Trelawny on November 23,

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Could you find the article for me, please?
                Search on this forum!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Thanks!

I think Prendergast's argument is silly. Are we so divided a country that if someone challenges another for an office that should imply some form of disunity? I'm glad Prendy realises that football is divided right now, but I wonder if he has taken the time to find out why.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Here is the post with that thread
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I think your take was similar to mine.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                      X