Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can leapord change it's spots?

<H1>Tevez will cut out 'diving and other tricks'</H1>

<BR clear=all><DIV class=text11 style="BACKGROUND: #fff"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

West Ham striker Carlos Tevez knows he will have to cut out the diving if he wants to make the right impression on the Premiership.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>

The 22-year-old could make his Hammers debut against Aston Villa on Sunday after completing a stunning deadline-day transfer to Upton Park along with Argentina team-mate Javier Mascherano.

Tevez has spoken to Manchester United's Argentina full-back Gabriel Heinze and former West Ham defender Lionel Scaloni to get a feel for what Premiership football is like.

'They told us that Premier League is a no-nonsense league, with plenty of tough tackling and challenges. I'm sure we can cope with it, we just need time to adjust to its high tempo,' said Tevez.

'We know we have to learn many new things. We know that here we don't talk to the referee, don't dive and other tricks very common in South American football but we will get better with the games.

'I sincerely hope I can repay everybody at the club with some good performances. I just hope I can adapt quickly and start doing so as soon as possible.'

Tevez is a stocky, powerful striker whose game should suit English football, and he wants to do for West Ham what compatriots Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles did for Tottenham nearly 30 years ago.

Ardiles moved to Tottenham with Villa in 1978 and helped Spurs win two FA Cups, and the UEFA Cup in 1984.

'Hopefully we can achieve something similar to them, they are legends,' said Tevez, who has already won 25 caps for Argentina.

'We shouldn't get carried away, this is a different story, but we feel the support of everybody at the club starting with the manager.

'All we can say is that we are desperate to succeed in the Premier League and we are extremely proud to have signed for such a big club.

'I would love to win the Premier League with the club and repay all the trust and care that everybody has been giving us from minute one.

'It seems to us that West Ham is like a big family and we would love to repay their confidence in us with success and by winning something.'

Tevez and Mascherano face a major language barrier at Upton Park. Yossi Benayoun speaks Spanish from his time at Racing Santander and will at times have to act as a translator.

But Tevez said: 'We are not allow to make silly excuses because we have everything at our disposal to do our job well and that's what I'm here to do that.

'I know everything is new for me and that it's not going to be easy but I'm sure I can cope with it and I can write a successful chapter of my life here.

'It's a new country for me, miles away from home, with a language that I don't speak, but I'm confident I will learn and succeed on and off the pitch.'
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X