X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United sweat on Oba move

Aug 21 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United are bracing themselves for a possible Manchester United move for their striker Obafemi Martins.
    And they know that if Sir Alex Ferguson slaps in a £13m offer for the Nigerian striker they will be powerless to stop Martins leaving for Old Trafford because of the release clause in his contract.
    Certainly it did not come as a surprise to find Martins linked with Manchester United today because Fergie's need for a striker is bordering on sheer desperation.
    There is even talk about the Reds bringing back their former favourite and ex-Newcastle striker Andy Cole while Wayne Rooney is out injured and Louis Saha continues to have a lot of problems.

Story continues
    ADVERTISEMENT

Cole is without a club at the moment after being released by Portsmouth and he would jump at the chance to end his career at Old Trafford – and Newcastle fans will certainly be hoping that this is the road Ferguson goes down.

There are only 10 days left before the transfer window slams shut again and there is still a lot of wheeling and dealing to be done by Premiership clubs.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Grandfather Cole!!!!!!!!!! That would be crazy!
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Well, word via the grapevine is a certain ... (hope Scaly nuh check the forum today) Berbatov had a falling out with a certain Jol. Fergie is apparently interested in signing the player and is willing to offer Saha as a part of the deal.

I disagree with the Saha part. We NEED 4 strikers.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        Well, word via the grapevine is a certain ... (hope Scaly nuh check the forum today) Berbatov had a falling out with a certain Jol. Fergie is apparently interested in signing the player and is willing to offer Saha as a part of the deal.

I disagree with the Saha part. We NEED 4 strikers.
        I like Saha but he is too much of a liabilty. We are paying him a huge salary and he hasn't completed one season for us since buying him what...3 - 4 years ago. Regardless of how good (potentially) he is, that is just a bad return on our investment. Has he scored 15 goals for us in any one season? Let him become someone else's burden.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Lazie is this a good buy for us? I remember there was some issues regarding his true age. We could really be getting a player that does not have many years left in him. 13 million pounds sounds steep.- T.K.
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            I like Saha but he is too much of a liabilty. We are paying him a huge salary and he hasn't completed one season for us since buying him what...3 - 4 years ago. Regardless of how good (potentially) he is, that is just a bad return on our investment. Has he scored 15 goals for us in any one season? Let him become someone else's burden.
            You forget that he was instrumental for Manu last season before getting injuried? If fit he can play with Rooney and Tevez.

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
              Lazie is this a good buy for us? I remember there was some issues regarding his true age. We could really be getting a player that does not have many years left in him. 13 million pounds sounds steep.- T.K.
              Well, after throwing darts at numbers, it was decided his age is about 22 ..23. I see him fitting in with Manu. Personally, I'd prefer Berba because of his height as we need some arial threat up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                Well, after throwing darts at numbers, it was decided his age is about 22 ..23. I see him fitting in with Manu. Personally, I'd prefer Berba because of his height as we need some arial threat up front.
                Now Berbatov has an amazing footballing brain. He could easily become our next Ruud. Me nuh too want Obefemi as I don't see him as a natural finisher. He extremely athletic and fast and a striker who can create his own goals, but I think we have enough of those type of players already and will do well with a striker who plays off the last defender.

Comment

As you say you need 4 strikers, not 3 and half
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    As you say you need 4 strikers, not 3 and half
                    3.5? A fit Saha is a dangerous forward. He proved that last season. I have no problem taking a chance with him.

Comment

how many of the seasons with Manu has he actually been on the pitch?
                      too much work Lazie, if you ask me.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        how many of the seasons with Manu has he actually been on the pitch?
                        too much work Lazie, if you ask me.
                        He return from injury to lead the charge and win the Carling Cup. Then last season .... well ... nuff said.

Comment

Mr. President, you are letting your heart rule you. We have to also look at the business end of it, and simply put, he is a liability to us. If can make a change off him now, we should do so. I'll put his value at around $5m. If we can get that, we should run with it.

Comment

you a skip and hop like ropes you a play.

How much games is he averaging the last few seasons?

For the long haul of the seasons he is always injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                              Mr. President, you are letting your heart rule you. We have to also look at the business end of it, and simply put, he is a liability to us. If can make a change off him now, we should do so. I'll put his value at around $5m. If we can get that, we should run with it.
                              To win all the trophies we need 4 strikers. How unuh ago keep Ole that is as slow as me yet see Saha as a liability?

Comment

Working...
                              X