3 comments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilla -

First, as you know, I am a Liverpool man for over 35 years (before half of the Manu waggonists on this board were even born). Second I was among those who called Rob Styles (the ref from Sunday's clash) a complete incompetent last year when he gave Liverpool the penalty against Sheffield United. That call resulted in a draw and Sheffield dropped 2 points which by inference caused their relegation!! So the argument about these things "evening out" is one that would be lost on them. These calls matter. Okay, so with that in mind, there are 4 things for you to consider:

1. Malouda was LEAVING THE BALL for Drogba as he made ZERO attempt to play it. Finnan read this correctly and was pivoting to chase Drogba.
    2. Because Finan stopped his run - Malouda collided with him, not the other way around.
    3. NOT ONE CHELSEA PLAYER APPEALED FOR A PENALTY.
    4. The incident happened infront of the Chelsea supporters end - NOT ONE MAN AMONG THEM APPEALED.

Anyway, you get the point. Tonight on "Live From Stamford Bridge", even the Chelsea faithful admitted that it was a shyte call. All that being said, Rob Styles is human. I can give him that. He apologised and so we must move on.

However, what this call does show that in today's day and age where EVERYONE EXCEPT THE REFEREE has the benefit of video, that the game is sorely in need of an overhaul in the refereeing department. I personally advocate careful introduction of technology in any incident (penalties, line monitoring, etc.) that can affect the outcome of the game. The game has just gotten too important for so much power to be in the hands of just one man. As the scandals in Italy and Germany have shown...there is nuff incentive to abuse that power but more importantly, as a fan, I can deal with losing, but I can't deal with unfairness.

Later,

PM
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
      I thought you were going to address my question as to whether Finnan made contact with Malouda, thus causing him to go down in the box. Oh well, I will take it you did not see the game or the incident.
      I saw it and immediately said - No penalty. yes, they did make contact...but, in my mind it is what we (refs) call 'incidental contact'. Both players tried not to 'run into' each other.

Most importantly Malouda jumped out of the way...and, the oponent made no effort to 'go at him'. A little baby incidental contact.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post

However, what this call does show that in today's day and age where EVERYONE EXCEPT THE REFEREE has the benefit of video, that the game is sorely in need of an overhaul in the refereeing department. I personally advocate careful introduction of technology in any incident (penalties, line monitoring, etc.) that can affect the outcome of the game.

Later,

PM
        Question - When you return from "lata"...Looking at that call how would you suggest it be dealt with if the technology showed Style's made an error?

Just wondering...as I can see using the technology to sort out, for example, a melee and 'ball in or out of play' including ball over the goal-line within goal...but, penalty calls and FREE-KICKS? How?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl

I don't presume to have all the answers, so there may be more clever ways to accomplish the desired outcome which is an ACCURATE AND FAIR call but I am not expecting perfection as even technology is flawed.

So with that in mind, one possible way of doing it is to implement a video official who would have audio communications with the ref. I advocate that he would only be used in situations that can MATERIALLY affect the outcome of the game, like offsides and penalties, not in run of the mill free kicks, yellow cards etc. So in a situation like Sunday, he could say "Dread, don't do it, you are going to look like an eediat on Monday"...and if the Ref decides to go with his original call, then so be it. If he takes the advice of the video ref, then play would restart with a drop ball at the top of the area. For offsides, the video ref would in real time call the linesman and he could raise his flag or overturn a goal after it scored if evidence warranted. They always raise it late half the time, so that would be easy.

Anyway, that is just one idea. There are nuff bright people out there that could figure this out IF THEY WANT TO...but I don't think they do...how else would they rig games??

Later (or is it Lata),

PM
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

interesting......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes, Assasin Essien if Ghana. Mikel of Nigeria--yes?

Thanks..'sassin
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Under-fire ref Rob Styles is on the board of the firm which paved the driveway of Chelsea's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich - although referees' chiefs have cleared him of any conflict of interest. (Various)

Man City's billionaire owner Thaksin Shinawatra will have to wait four years to earn membership to the exclusive golf course near his £4.5m home in Surrey. (Daily Mail)

Red Star Belgrade midfielder Ognjen Koroman says Alan Hutton is in for the beating of his life in the second leg after the Rangers full-back complained of being constantly kicked in their Champions League qualifier. (Various)
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

It was an 'iffy' call Tilla.

At first when I saw it in real time--it looked like a clear penalty.
                  The ref was right on spot too.

But with slo-mo the call turned out to be iffy.

'That's all I have to say about that."
                  ---Forrest Gump
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    It was an 'iffy' call Tilla.

At first when I saw it in real time--it looked like a clear penalty.
                    The ref was right on spot too.

But with slo-mo the call turned out to be iffy.

'That's all I have to say about that."
                    ---Forrest Gump
                    As much as the result was perfect for my team ... that was NOOO penalty and I didn't need SLO - MO nor a replay to see that. Its simple HL, Roman money stretch farrrrr!!!
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Referees will call games how they see it. In the split moment of time, he has to seize the situation and make a decision on the call. I am sure he saw it as I did where the Liverpool player brought down Malouda with a rather reckless tackle. With a chance to have a second take at the play, I could come to the conclusion that penalty was unwarranted. Remember now, this is with the benefit of replay.

I must agree with you that the game must make the "third eye" available to referees through today's technology. We have seen the blunders made by referees all the time. Who can forget the Reggae Boyz Vs the USA at RFK in October 1997 where the referee awarded a penalty kick to the USA on an infringement which took place maybe a yard outside the penalty box. Fast forward to the past weekend. Fulham was denied a goal because of referee error too. I wonder why no one is calling for the sacking of the referee there? Then there is the game between Wigan and Sunderland, in which Wigan's striker Emile Heskey was about two yards offside when he scored the first goal of the game. Again if Sunderland were a bigger team, then you would hear the screams about that goal.

Something needs to be done however. I think FIFA is hesitant as they cannot mandate this technology fully across the game as it may not be affordable in a lot of countries.
                      Last edited by Tilla; August 21, 2007, 03:40 PM.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla stop you are a Joke or what ((the Liverpool player brought down Malouda ))

Malouda dived into the man jumping over the ball , here lies your/the problem , he(Malouda) was 1st to the ball and choose to let it pass him.

So where did he go after passing the ball?

What did the Liverpool player do?

The liverpool player turned in the direction of the ball giving chase , it was NOTa frontal collision, Malouda ended up on the back of the Liverpool player, So leave your madness at the gate.

How did he(Finan) tackle the man ,when he was on his back ?

If you can answer the three questions before responding with LIVER POOL PLAYER TACKLED THE MAN you will prove to the masses you are trying to deal with your cruel bias.

The scenario is simple 2 men running to a ball from opposite directions , whom will reach the ball 1st and what will each individual do when trying to have possesion of the ball ?

Finan didnt have it and Malouda passed it by!
                        Last edited by Sir X; August 21, 2007, 05:01 PM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I will add if it was a Frontal Collision , Finan not turning and a penalty being awarded it would be just as bad , because Malouda DIVED INTO THE MAN!

He was 1st to it (the ball )and choose to DIVE pass it!

Comment

Ok X.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                              Ok X.
                              Tilla, I am not disagreeing with you when you say the referees have to call it as they see it. I think we both agree that this is PRECISELY the problem in the modern game where EVERYBODY ELSE has the benefit of replay. I don't know what Styles or you saw, but when I saw it initially, it was a clear dummy by Malouda and I (probably due to my bias) called out FOUL as I realised he was leaving it to Drogba and it looked to me like he DIVED INTO Finnan.

Anyway, anybody who thinks that the time for technology in officiating is not here is fooling themselves. The incident with Fulham is another example. By the way, the LINESMAN in that match was also suspended.

If the season ends with Liverpool losing the title to Chelsea by a point, there will be riots all over the world and Styles may as well move to Siberia...but don't cry for him...I'm sure he has Russian friends in high places.

Comment

Working...
                              X