X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referee Styles dropped over error

Referee Styles dropped over error

Styles penalises Finnan, to Carragher's disbelief
    Referee Rob Styles will not officiate in the Premier League next weekend following his performance in the Liverpool-Chelsea game on Sunday.
    Styles was criticised for awarding a controversial penalty to Chelsea.

Referees' chief Keith Hackett told Sky Sports: "On this occasion it was wrong and therefore Rob will not be officiating next weekend."

Styles also appeared to show Chelsea's Michael Essien a second yellow card but then failed to send him off.

Interview: Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez

Former referee Hackett is general manager of Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the body which oversees referees.

He also revealed the assistant referee from the Fulham-Middlesbrough game had been dropped after David Healy was denied an equaliser when the ball seemed to cross the line.

He added: "Accountability exists and we, the PGMOL, do expect referees to get big decisions correct."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was left incensed and skipper Steven Gerrard said Styles had "cracked" after he penalised Steve Finnan for a foul on Florent Malouda, although replays showed there was no contact.

"That decision is impossible to explain, it was the invisible penalty" said Benitez after the 1-1 draw.

Styles looked like he had given Essien a second yellow card but then explained it was meant for John Terry.

After the game Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said: "Michael was honestly very frightened, he thought he had been booked again.

606: DEBATE
    There were many talking points from the Anfield game

Saj C

"The referee then explained that he had only booked one player, John Terry, but Essien stood there for a long time and he said afterwards that he believed he had been cautioned again."

The incident happened shortly after Styles had awarded Chelsea their penalty, which Frank Lampard converted to level the scores after Fernando Torres put Liverpool in front with a goal on his home debut.

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll told BBC Radio 5live that Styles did not book Essien twice but that his award of a card to Terry looked "messy".

"At the first look I definitely thought he had booked Essien a second time," said Poll.

"Having looked I can see that as Rob raises the yellow card he points over to John Terry and says that it is John he has cautioned.

"He had just given a penalty and you have a gut feeling as a referee that you might have made a mistake.

Benitez and Mourinho renewed their war of words after the match

"You are under pressure then and when the stress is at its highest it is difficult to think clearly and get everything right."

Poll, who booked Croatia's Josip Simunic three times during a World Cup match in 2006, added: "It was a big mistake."

Benitez had no sympathy with Styles after the match, adding: "I want to have a lot of respect for referees, but sometimes I cannot understand why they give some decisions.

"I think he will watch the video of the match and admit that his penalty decision was a mistake."

And Gerrard asked for Styles to apologise for his penalty decision.

Not every player on the pitch was helping the referee

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho

"I don't want to say too much because I will get into trouble, but the referee didn't play well," said the Liverpool skipper.

"Whether it was because the Chelsea players were talking I don't know, but in the end he's cracked and made a bad decision.

"It wasn't a penalty and I hope he comes out and says sorry now."

Meanwhile, Mourinho did not criticise Styles over the penalty decision but suggested his job had not been made easier by the behaviour of certain players from "a different culture".

"I haven't seen the replay of the incident and it was difficult to make out what was happening at the time," he insisted.

"Rafa has his opinion and I have mine. I judged the game to be a good and a fair one.

"Perhaps there were too many cards but overall I thought Mr Styles had a positive game.

"Not every player on the pitch was helping the referee."

Styles handed out eight yellow cards - while Mourinho was believed to be referring to Liverpool's Spanish duo of Torres and Alvaro Arbeloa.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

I said he lost control of the game , cards were flying like Darts out there wrecked a beautifull game , if he expected to control the intensity of the game , thats where he lost it , you cannot! just let it flow.
    Last edited by Sir X; August 20, 2007, 08:48 AM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

LIVERPOOL V CHELSEA: THE BIG MATCH VERDICT

Liverpool had to settle for a point in their first home game of the new season after a controversial penalty decision earned Chelsea a 1-1 draw. Here's the pick of the post-match reaction.

The fan
      Liverpool's display at Anfield today showed what Rafa and the lads are capable of. Today we saw a taste of things to come. The visitors struggled to find any answers to a passionate drive to take all three points, and Torres' top class strike set the scene to what should have been a well-deserved victory for Liverpool. The final result however, was not what we thought we'd have after dominating the play for the first 45 minutes. You could put the 1-1 scoreline down to a terrible overall performance by referee Rob Styles or several missed chances that could have put the game beyond Chelsea's grasp. Aside from that Liverpool showed that they're on fire at the start of the season, and that reality will have managers hot under the collar in Europe and the Barclays Premier League alike.
      El Scouse, LFC.TV Message Boards

The former player
      Torres scored a fantastic opening goal and really showed what he's all about. Liverpool could have won this game and they would have done so had it not been for a very poor refereeing display. It was never a penalty and I can't believe it was given. There were a lot of positives for Liverpool to take from this performance but to only take a point out of the game was hard to take.
      Alan Kennedy

The commentator
      I thought Liverpool played very well against a strong side and only Rob Styles will know why he gave that penalty. It was a very poor decision and as Rafa said after the game I hope it won't prove costly come the end of the season. Fernando Torres showed his qualities and his goal was quite outstanding.
      Steve Hunter, Liverpoolfc.tv commentator

The local newspaper
      If Rafael Benitez was unhappy with Florent Malouda during the summer, imagine what he makes of the midfielder this morning. The France international had effectively agreed a move to Liverpool in the close season before, his head turned by Chelsea's millions, the winger hotfooted his way to Stamford Bridge to join the deposed Premier League champions. So when Malouda finally turned up at Anfield yesterday, it was almost inevitably his outrageous piece of gamesmanship that denied Benitez's side the chance to post a deserved early marker in the race for the Premier League title. It also ruined a goalscoring home debut for Fernando Torres, a player who, unlike Malouda, bought into the Liverpool ideal and not just the idea of lining his pockets. Mind you, Liverpool's grievance with Malouda was nothing compared to their displeasure at the insipid officiating of Rob Styles and the overall antics of Chelsea's players. All of this served to overshadow an encouraging display from Benitez's side, with Steven Gerrard dominant in central midfield and Torres demonstrating just why his manager was prepared to spend big to bring him to Anfield. It was goal to grace any home debut. And not only has Torres assumed Robbie Fowler's number nine shirt, the departed striker's Kop chant has been modified in homage to the new boy. Gerrard, though, was the stellar performer, bossing the midfield in his preferred central role and once more comprehensively overshadowing England team-mate Frank Lampard.
      Ian Doyle, Daily Post

The national newspaper
      Only a highly-contentious penalty award prevented Liverpool maintaining their 100 per cent start to the campaign at a soaked Anfield yesterday, the Kop's chorus of condemnation for the referee Rob Styles on the final whistle deafening following his dampening of what had promised to be an impressive announcement of intent from Fernando Torres. The goal saw the visitors prised apart and punished with beautiful simplicity by Gerrard and Torres in the 16th minute. The Liverpool captain, toe fractured yet instrumental in a strong opening from the home side that should have yielded a breakthrough from John Arne Riise after only 110 seconds, put the Spaniard clear with a weighted diagonal ball down the left, and the striker then showed the skill, acceleration and finishing worthy of a club record signing. Tal Ben-Haim came across to cover but Torres glided away from the Israeli defender with ease before steering his shot into the far corner of Petr Cech's goal, a fine way to open his Liverpool account and to suggest he could have a major influence on the club's title aspirations this season.
      The Independent

The journalist
      I thought Liverpool were hard done by. The penalty at the time looked a very strange decision and every time you see it now it just gets even more inexplicable. I know people always say these things even themselves out come the end of the season but it is still hard to take. You are always reluctant to say a team has been robbed by the referee, but it was a penalty out of nowhere that denied Liverpool a victory. They should have won the game. It was excellent for Torres to score on his home debut and he showed some nice touches. He will certainly be someone to watch this season and the early signs are very encouraging.
      Oliver Kay, The Times

The opposition manager
      I thought it was a fair result. Liverpool were the better team in the first half and we were the best side in the second half. I think it is difficult to play here because they are a good team and it is a positive result for us, especially because we were losing. I haven't seen the replay of the penalty incident and it was difficult to make out what was happening at the time. Rafa has his opinion and I have mine.
      Jose Mourinho

The boss
      We created enough chances to have won the game and we would have won it but for an invisible penalty awarded against us. The referee made a mistake and it was unbelievable. Everybody could see it wasn't a penalty and it's a pity as it cost us two points. We are so disappointed because we played well against a good team but the decision that went against us, you just can't explain it. It is unbelievable. How can you take this decision? It is unbelievable. A team that is working so hard how can you change a game like this? Clearly the game was under control but this kind of decision is something you cannot explain. Maybe he was under pressure all the time. Anyway I prefer not to say too much.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
        I said he lost control of the game , cards were flying like Darts out there wrecked a beautifull game , if he expected to control the intensity of the game , thats where he lost it , you cannot just let it flow.
        The fact is the liverpool and chelsea players are barbarians. You can't give them an inch. Card dem up yes! We can't allow you livafool and chelski brutes to destroy the beautiful game with your cromagnon tactics. I hope Styles refs when you play Man U. - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
          The fact is the liverpool and chelsea players are barbarians. You can't give them an inch. Card dem up yes! We can't allow you livafool and chelski brutes to destroy the beautiful game with your cromagnon tactics. I hope Styles refs when you play Man U. - T.K.
          Now that the dust has cleared, I can't see why the ref is being punished.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Hope , you probably praying !

Comment

You cannot , you know he carded Eissen twice ? you know it wasnt a penalty , if a call was to be made it should have been on the Chelsea player for Diving into the liverpool defender.

But hey Liverpool money nuh stretch like Man U & Chel$ki.

Comment

You cannot , you know he carded Eissen twice ? you know it wasnt a penalty , if a call was to be made it should have been on the Chelsea player for Diving into the liverpool defender.

How yuh attacking Manu now? How many times calls have been made against Manu? I don't see refs being punished for it. Suck it UP!!!
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Alright Boss , we will tek it out on U .

Comment

X-man, yuh bawl too much. If yuh waan be champions, then yuh haffi get used to decisions going against yuh! Here.......take the tissue and dry your eyes!
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Alright Boss , we will tek it out on U .
                      hehehe ... yuh notice the problem Manu having now? One think I can promise you, if that nuh resolve fi no other team, it will be resolved for the Punks of Anfield.

Comment

Dem fi do a credit check pon him fi see if him have any gambling debts! Worse piece of officiating in a long time.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Lazie, have you had your eyes examined lately? Opticians are everywhere, they even work at Walmart.
                          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Roman money reach FAR..

Comment

Originally posted by Hortikal View Post
                              Lazie, have you had your eyes examined lately? Opticians are everywhere, they even work at Walmart.
                              Huh? Why yuh think anything happen to my eyes?

Comment

Working...
                              X