Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altidore bags two in Red Bulls 5-4 win over Galaxy

Angel caps thriller over Beckham, Galaxy

The largest crowd for an MLS regular season game at Giants Stadium came out in droves to see superstar David Beckham. Every free kick, every corner kick, every touch of the ball brought with it thousands of flashbulbs and the hopes of seeing something brilliant.

Beckham did play a part in three goals and the crowd, many of whom were there for their first MLS game, witnessed an offensive explosion by both teams in an entertaining 5-4 New York Red Bulls win against the Los Angeles Galaxy on Saturday night.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Video Highlights
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Comment

I wonder how long this honeymoon will last? I mean the fans lapping up #23 in America...

Respect to the yute Altidore... definitely a talent. Look better tha Adu if you ask me.

pr
      Peter R

Comment

The problem with Adu is that "im dung grow". Have you ever heard that kind of talk Peter R? That is really country, so you may not get it.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The U.S side in a year or two looking quite dangerous, especially forwards and mids.

Comment

I have to agree. With the new young talent coming through, they will be a better team skill wise than we have seen in the past.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Shawn Wright-Phillips could be seen as dung-grow too Tilla.
              I have high hopes for Freddy 'the phenom' Adu! he is still young and still developing.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

True and his height deficiency does not seem to be a disadvantage for him. Well, apart from challanging for headers. There have been a lot of other short ballers too who did very well despite of this handicap. Romario and Juninho were not very big either.

Comment

Jozy Altidore wins Player of the Week

New York Red Bulls forward Jozy Altidore was selected as Major League Soccer's Player of the Week for his performance against the Los Angeles Galaxy in Week 20. Altidore had two goals while helping the Red Bulls (10-7-3, 33 pts) to a thrilling 5-4 victory over the visiting Galaxy.

A crowd of 66,237, a record for an MLS regular season game at Giants Stadium, created an electric atmosphere, and the players responded with an explosive opening 10 minutes. Juan Pablo Angel scored four minutes into the match off a free kick, but the Galaxy responded with two in quick succession to give Los Angeles an early 2-1 lead. Just before halftime, Red Bulls midfielder Clint Mathis hit a full volley into the roof of the net to set the Red Bulls record for most goals scored in all competitions with 45, passing Giovanni Savarese.

(continue)
                  - Xavi

Comment

Tilla,

I know the term well...in fact it has been applied to me . Seems apt for Adu. I read Paul Marin's post from soccernet on Adu and that seems to have summarised his current situation succintly.

Still, I wish him luck in Portugal.

pr
                    Peter R

Comment

Don't foregt

Don't forget Maradona..
                      Peter R

Comment

Working...
                      X