• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican refs impress FIFA instructor

Jamaican refs impress FIFA instructor
    BY BEV MELBOURNE Observer writer
    Sunday, August 19, 2007

American FIFA instructor Sandra Hunt says she is impressed by the level of discipline, interest and camaraderie demonstrated by Jamaican referees at a training seminar at GC Foster College yesterday.

The threat of Hurricane Dean had reduced the planned two-day JFF/Referees Commission's event to an intense six-hour session in which 38 referees (36 men and two women) participated.

FIFA instructor Sandra Hunt (right) speaks to local referees while Referees Commission chairman Charlie Barrett (third right, cap) looks on at GC Foster College yesterday.

"They were very eager to learn and very receptive of the information and instructions given to them. and this will help them to excel.," Hunt told the Sunday Observer yesterday.

"I must admit that the Jamaican instructors Charles Barrett, Ainsley Sharpe, Horace Lewis and Dave Meikle have done a good job in preparing this group.
    "It's noticeable that they have had good instructors. Their level of fitness is at a high level and if they continue this trend, they will become very successful in their careers," Hunt declared.

She lauded the two female participants, whom she said "have done exceptionally well. all they need to do is to get more experience as this will help them to get better".

Hunt was also impressed with the organisation of the event, pointing out that GC Foster was one of the better facilities at which she has conducted a seminar of this nature. She was especially pleased that all the facilities needed for the seminar were within walking distance.

The locals, which included FIFA referees and assistants as well as Grade One to Three referees, have been selected to officiate in the upcoming National Premier League competition.

The seminar was the brainchild of Commission chairman Barrett, Lewis, Nathan, Meikle and Sharpe, who thought such an event would sharpen the skills of referees selected to officiate in the island's top football competition.

Hunt was one of the four females in the group of 20 FIFA Referee Instructors who conducted the training with the assistance of members of the Referees Commission. She also worked as an instructor in The Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago and Tortola.

Yesterday, the local referees participated in theoretical as well as practical aspects of the game, which entailed routine referee and assistant referee drills and also as players to demonstrate the difficulties officials are likely to face during tough matches.

Female assistant referee Cardella Samuels said she learnt a lot from the sessions, especially on how to keep the signals clean to clarify misunderstandings that arise from decisions made by officials. "I'm more knowledgeable on signals. I can make clear decisions now and I've learnt the mechanics of keeping the signals clean," Samuels said.

Referee Dwight Royal from St Elizabeth concurred, adding that he learnt more about team work and how to keep an eye out in high intensity games. "This training from the FIFA level is very important to me at this time and it will be an asset. going into the National Premier League competitions," Royal said.

Lewis, a veteran instructor, was pleased with the turnout and the interest shown by the referees. He said he was confident the event would have a positive impact on performances during the NPL competition.

"The Referees Commission took this idea to the JFF. They were interested and gave us their blessing by sponsoring the event and I'm sure that they'll have no regrets as this group has learnt a lot though the time was short," Lewis said.

The Referees Commission is an affiliate of the JFF and is responsible for refereeing matters in all competitions that fall under the aegis of the federation.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X