• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxhill to announce position Sunday

Boxhill to announce position Sunday
    published: Thursday | August 16, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Boxhill

Embattled Jamaica Fotball Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill is expected to officially announce his future intentions to the organisation's Board of Directors in a special meeting scheduled for this Sunday.

Boxhill, who took over as head of the JFF in November 2003, surprisingly announced last week, that he would not contest the upcoming elections.

"Board members have only heard about his intentions not to seek re-election through the media; a meeting wasn't called to discuss it or anything so we'll have to wait until Sunday," explained South Central Confederation (SCC) chairman, Dale Spencer.
    "He hasn't had a chance to tell us what his feelings are as yet, so we will basically be discussing that formally for the first time when we meet," Spencer added.

Recent rumours had suggested that the president might be forced to vacate office before the November elections, but the SCC boss does not believe this to be the case and further denounced it as highly impractical.

Conscience
    "I can't say for sure, but I don't think there is a movement, there is no need to muster up all of this now for him to move. I think it would be left to the conscience of the president," Spencer explained.

"If he is not going to seek re-election and senses that he has no support in the board, he may take himself out of the picture in the interest of football. Like I said though, we haven't met formally so I don't know his thought process. We'll just have to wait and see," he said.

Meanwhile JFF general secretary, Burchell Gibson, while admitting that it would be possible for the board to ask the president to resign, was also unaware of the issue being on the cards.

"This Sunday's meeting is set to discuss election process and procedure and a couple other federation-related matters. There is nothing of that sort on it so far, but it has not yet been finalised," Gibson said. "It is possible for the board to ask him to resign but it would take a majority vote," he added.

Should Boxhill step down at Sunday's meeting, in accordance with the JFF constitution, active duties will fall to second vice-president, Linnel McLean, who is currently the president of the Trelawny Football Association.
    This is because George Evans, who was elected first vice-president, vacated that position.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

and why was not evans post rectified? Also the next vp is running campaign...

Comment

A long time mi ask how come we don't have a first VP?

Mr Evans left a long time ago and them can't get somebody else?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Boxhill to announce position Sunday
        published: Thursday | August 16, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Boxhill

Embattled Jamaica Fotball Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill is expected to officially announce his future intentions to the organisation's Board of Directors in a special meeting scheduled for this Sunday.

Boxhill, who took over as head of the JFF in November 2003, surprisingly announced last week, that he would not contest the upcoming elections.

"Board members have only heard about his intentions not to seek re-election through the media; a meeting wasn't called to discuss it or anything so we'll have to wait until Sunday," explained South Central Confederation (SCC) chairman, Dale Spencer.
        "He hasn't had a chance to tell us what his feelings are as yet, so we will basically be discussing that formally for the first time when we meet," Spencer added.

Recent rumours had suggested that the president might be forced to vacate office before the November elections, but the SCC boss does not believe this to be the case and further denounced it as highly impractical.

Conscience
        "I can't say for sure, but I don't think there is a movement, there is no need to muster up all of this now for him to move. I think it would be left to the conscience of the president," Spencer explained.

"If he is not going to seek re-election and senses that he has no support in the board, he may take himself out of the picture in the interest of football. Like I said though, we haven't met formally so I don't know his thought process. We'll just have to wait and see," he said.

Meanwhile JFF general secretary, Burchell Gibson, while admitting that it would be possible for the board to ask the president to resign, was also unaware of the issue being on the cards.

"This Sunday's meeting is set to discuss election process and procedure and a couple other federation-related matters. There is nothing of that sort on it so far, but it has not yet been finalised," Gibson said. "It is possible for the board to ask him to resign but it would take a majority vote," he added.

Should Boxhill step down at Sunday's meeting, in accordance with the JFF constitution, active duties will fall to second vice-president, Linnel McLean, who is currently the president of the Trelawny Football Association.
        This is because George Evans, who was elected first vice-president, vacated that position.
        I think it would be crass of anyone to ask for Boxhill's removal at that meeting...and, at this stage. Mr. Boxhill should be left to leave with dignity.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X