X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football must be able to do better than Boxhill and Burrell

Observer West Column-

Football must be able to do better than Boxhill and Burrell

Crenston Boxhill's announcement that he is not seeking re-election to the post of president of the Jamaica Football Federation at the November Voting Congress to be held in Hanover took many including myself as a surprise.

Certainly a number of those who supported his presidency and the advancement of democracy in sports in the country would have hoped he would have at least put up a fight.

If we are to believe what we heard from former General Secretary Horace Reid, then the president did not have much of a choice as he was not nominated on at least three of the parish affiliates.

Even while Reid was making his statements t the press we were hearing from the present General Secretary that the JFF was still to receive at least half of the nominations that were due in by the first week of September.

If what Reid says is true and we have not hard anything contrary form the JFF, then it would be a damning rejection of the Boxhill presidency, four years after he swept into office promising top take Jamaica's football to further heights.

Lest we forget Boxhill's taking over the office of the head honcho in the JFF did not come by stealth of subterfuge but on a level playing field after the previous administration had failed to capitalise on the success of qualifying three teams to FIFA tournaments between 1998 and 2000.

Most pro-Horace Burrell supporters tend not to discuss post 1998, instead electing to live in the period between 1994 and 1998 when Jamaica's football was at its highest.

None also wants to talk about the $60 million debt that was inherited by the Boxhill administration, with about 25 percent being owed to the former boss.

Before you start thinking this column is about supporting Boxhill, it is not.
    As I have said before and will continue to say, the future of the most popular sport in Jamaica CANNOT be dependent on the ambitions of two individuals.

In addition to our success in the sporting arena, Jamaica has been known to produce some world classed sports administrators.

Jamaica has two representatives on the FINA executive including its president Molly Rhone and in track and field we have produced administrators and officials who have earned global accolades.

Just recently, Chris Dehring completed an 11 year journey when the ICC Cricket World Cup ended, sure football can do better than just Burrell and Boxhill.
    Last edited by Karl; August 16, 2007, 12:47 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

who wrote this article?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Some idiot named Paul A Reid....same one some of the[posters here call a fraud and a poor journalist who is not worth the paper the article is published on
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

mmmmmm?

Suggested to Mark Wignall that trying to hard can produce arguments that show one's true colours...

I'll say the same here - this article appears to be written to 'push an agenda'.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Why, because your agenda is not been pushed?
          Che Guevara.

Comment

I knew it had to be you.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Is wasn't me.

Unfortunately.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Push what agenda!?!

Karl, I seriously want to know how much you are being paid.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What do you think of Stevenson Stance? Is he going to run. Is he only going to run if he is being paid.

Comment

Sickko:Yeah...rrrright!
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I'm just wondering, of all the recent candidates he should have more money than all them put together. If they were able to do it without a salary, why can't he?

On the other hand, not having a salary can entice people to do all sorts of things. I agree that the position should be salaried, but we have invested so much into our recent farin coaches dat everybody muss wuk fi free. sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's your last paragraph that is poignant. 'specially the part about the farin coach investment.

Yaaaa'man smart no blurnaat.
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                          Why, because your agenda is not been pushed?
                          My agenda?
                          Jamaica's football! ...or, put in what I hope is a better way, how best can The Football Industry change lives for the better.

Why?
                          The article among other things push falsehoods to bolster it....or, at the very least reasonable persons could disagree on how you interpret some things.

i) Boxhill taking over the office of the head honcho in the JFF did not come by stealth of subterfudge but on a level playing field.

What was level about the playing field when "One Don" from Mandeville had a part in it?

ii) Most pro-Burrell supporters do not want to discuss post 1998.

Contrary to that statement pro-Burrell supports have never run away from -
                          a) the exploits of the U-17 men in the 1999 FIFA U-17 qualifiers and attendance at those FIFA World championships;

b) achievements of the U-20 men in 2001 FIFA U-20 qualifiers and attendance at those FIFA World Championships;

c) the winning of the CFU Championships;

d) the performances of those youth teams in qualifying from CFU to CONCACAF stages of FIFA championships;

e) the innovations in women football and the growth that occurred in standard of play of the various women football teams.

Even Burrell's 2003 pre-election *manifesto spoke to those gains, which all occurred after 1998...

...also, based on Horace Reid's letter and Burchell Gibson's responses it would appear that up until the article was written Mr. Boxhill had not been nominated at all.

The article leaves it open to belief that Mr. Boxhill may have been nominated by either one or two of the parishes when it was clear there was knowledge he had not received a nomination. Certainly we all knew that KSAFA and Portland were the only parishes which had so far not sent in nominations.

*change manifesto to read document
                          - See post by Sickko below!
                          Thank you!
                          Last edited by Karl; August 16, 2007, 04:24 PM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            My agenda?
                            Jamaica's football! ...or, put in what I hope is a better way, how best can The Football Industry change lives for the better.

Why?
                            The article among other things push falsehoods to bolster it....or, at the very least reasonable persons could disagree on how you interpret some things.

i) Boxhill taking over the office of the head honcho in the JFF did not come by stealth of subterfudge but on a level playing field.

What was level about the playing field when "One Don" from Mandeville had a part in it?

ii) Most pro-Burrell supporters do not want to discuss post 1998.

Contrary to that statement pro-Burrell supports have never run away from -
                            a) the exploits of the U-17 men in the 1999 FIFA U-17 qualifiers and attendance at those FIFA World championships;

b) achievements of the U-20 men in 2001 FIFA U-20 qualifiers and attendance at those FIFA World Championships;

c) the winning of the CFU Championships;

d) the performances of those youth teams in qualifying from CFU to CONCACAF stages of FIFA championships;

e) the innovations in women football and the growth that occurred in standard of play of the various women football teams.

Even Burrell's 2003 pre-election manifesto spoke to those gains, which all occurred after 1998...

...also, based on Horace Reid's letter and Burchell Gibson's responses it would appear that up until the article was written Mr. Boxhill had not been nominated at all.

The article leaves it open to belief that Mr. Boxhill may have been nominated by either one or two of the parishes when it was clear there was knowledge he had not received a nomination. Certainly we all knew that KSAFA and Portland were the only parishes which had so far not sent in nominations.
                            One Don from Mandeville? Truth or rumour?

Are you concerned about the level playing field with which we find ourselves now?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              One Don from Mandeville? Truth or rumour?

Are you concerned about the level playing field with which we find ourselves now?
                              Were there media reports complete with photographs?

Comment

Working...
                              X