Sheffield Utd kicks off their Carling Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    He was a quality player in the Prem for 2 to 3 years and if he is anything close to that he will score more than 12 this year in the championship, that if he has any quality left.
    He hasn't done **************** int he last 2 - 3 years.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

So you support me then say the coach have no reason fi pay 4 million fi him a few days before the season, That put his young striker further down the pecking order?

I am not saying he is good now but because of his history and the price they pay for him, him a go get nuff chance to prove himself, more so than any other striker they have.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Running away from the work is not going to help Shelton Sass. He needs to prove his worth on the field, plain and simple.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla their is some managers who you can't impress no matter what you do cause it is not a even playing ground. By buying Beattie the manager has sent a signal that he believe his strikeforce is not strong enough. He want to use the shortcut route. He already had quality strikers in his line up. Danny Webber, Hulse and John Stead are not mill of the run strikers so even if Shelton play his best it is going to hard for him to break in the first side. You will see. He can only get 10 minutes in the carlington cup? what is that about? This team will score an average of 2 goals a game, what more do you want? Even if Shelton do very good he may not get consistent playing time on this team. He is at the mercy of others not performing or getting injury.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Shelton needs to be in a team that is willing to play him now.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Tilla their is some managers who you can't impress no matter what you do cause it is not a even playing ground. By buying Beattie the manager has sent a signal that he believe his strikeforce is not strong enough. He want to use the shortcut route. He already had quality strikers in his line up. Danny Webber, Hulse and John Stead are not mill of the run strikers so even if Shelton play his best it is going to hard for him to break in the first side. You will see. He can only get 10 minutes in the carlington cup? what is that about? This team will score an average of 2 goals a game, what more do you want? Even if Shelton do very good he may not get consistent playing time on this team. He is at the mercy of others not performing or getting injury.
              Sass: I did not want to say it, but yuh argument weak. The season is long and adding Beattie gives the man depth in the strikers position along with added quality. You talking like a man who would move your boy from Munro because he cannot come first in his class because too much bright summady deh deh.

Anyway, reading the comments of the fans, they think there are six strikers worth talking about in their club. In checking the clubs roster, there are actually eight, but two are 21, similar age as Shelton. The fact is, Shelton is ahead on them in the pecking order and is considered one of their six main strikers.

I decided to see if 6 strikers was too many for teams in the Championship, considering they will play 48 league games, plus Carling and FA Cup matches. When you factor in suspension, injuries, loss of form, illness and international call ups, 6 strikers are not a lot. So OK, I took a look at the amount of strikers in each of the 24 Championship teams and here are my findings:
              Teams Strikers
              1. Barnsley - 6
              2. Blackpool United - 5
              3. Bristol City - 6
              4. Burnley - 7
              5. Crystal Palace - 7
              6. Cardiff City - 7
              7. Charlton - 7
              8. Colchester United - 5
              9. Coventry City - 9
              10. Hull City - 7
              11. Ipswich Town - 6
              12. Leicester City - 9
              13. Norwich City - 6
              14. Plymouth Argyle - 8
              15. Preston NE - 6
              16. Queens Park Rangers - 8
              17. Scunsthorpe United - 6
              18. Stoke City - 6
              19. Sheffield United - 8
              20. Sheffield Wednesday - 7
              21. Southampton - 7
              22.Watford - 8
              23. West Bromwich Albion - 6
              24. Wolverhampton Wanderers - 7

As you can see, 6 to 8 strikers in a team is not outside the norm in a Championship side. Also, Luton has settled at this club since January and now know his team mates as well as the coach and what is expected at that club. The club and coach have an idea of what he has to offer. It would be foolish trying to move his to another Championship side where he would have to go start over getting himself established in the pecking order.

As I said in my previous post in another thread on the subject, unless you are suggesting that he goes to a League 1 or league 2 team, any where he goes in the Championship it is going to be the same thing.

BTW, tell me which one of the 24 you would suggest he go to?
              Last edited by Tilla; August 16, 2007, 01:42 AM.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

As I have been trying to tell Sass, Shelton has not yet proven himself in the English game. No team is going to put their trust in a striker whoo is unproven in their league. We need to stop being biased and look at it for what it is. Shelton will have to work and earn his game. A big part of this will be how well he adjusts to the system of play in which he now finds himself. If he can do the job, trust me, Robson is not going to turn his back on him.

Comment

It is not a matter of being bias. Shelton needs to go to a team where a quality striker is obviously needed. Not a team loaded with them. That will afford him the opportunity to get more playing time. He certainly is much better than Championship reserve football.

Being the 5th striker on the team is not helpful to him. He should be able to find a lower quality team with only two or three ahead of him. That way he will at least get some regular run outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                    It is not a matter of being bias. Shelton needs to go to a team where a quality striker is obviously needed. Not a team loaded with them. That will afford him the opportunity to get more playing time. He certainly is much better than Championship reserve football.

Being the 5th striker on the team is not helpful to him. He should be able to find a lower quality team with only two or three ahead of him. That way he will at least get some regular run outs.
                    In an ideal world, going to a team where he is the #1 or 2 striker would be what every striker wants. In this world however, is not suh it go. You have to come in and stamp your class on the position.

BTW, he is not just playing reserve Championship football. He is in a system where he is not the main striker, but he is kept match ready by having him play in reserves and sub in first team games.

Where do you think he should go other than Sheffield?

Comment

He should go to a whichever Championship team that only has 2 or 3 ahead of him upon arrival. As you said ideally where he could be one or two. I am sure that he could be the 3rd or 4th (maybe top two) at one of the lower quality Championship teams. Just like how Fuller was loaned to another side in his stay at Southampton.

Comment

You always make refeerence to Fuller. You forget that he took some time to settle in England too. Remember Redknapp took him at Portsmouth and Fuller could not score even if you put him in a whore house.

See my post at the link below to see how many strikers each of these teams have.

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...9833#post39833

First, you do not just go to a team. For one thing, your club have to think they want to loan you out, the other club have to think they want a striker and are willing to put up funds to acquire a player on loan.

Most of the Championship sides have between 6 to 9 strikers. Anywhere Shelton goes he will have to prove himself to determine where he stands in the pecking order. It is not going to be just a matter of him getting automatic #1 or 2 positions as he is not that established as a player in England as yet.

A part of Shelton's problem now is to try to adjust to the English game. Once he dpes that, he will be looked on more favorable by his coach. Otherwise, going to league 1 or 2 is the only other option which may give his instant evelation up the pecking order.

Comment

Originally posted by Plush View Post
                          Tilla,
                          Take for example Fuller. How maany times have we seen where he didn't figure in a coach's plan.
                          ...and, he still has to be proving himself, in division 2! (Championship) Wonda iffen im buck (against di wall i.e. im reach has fur has imma guh)? So much promise?
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

YOu may have six strikers at every club club but are you talking ball bwoys?

The man them pay 2 million for Luton and him need a fair chance. When you talking bout balla players that kind of statistics nuh work. You can say how many strikers deh a Man U? Nuff a dem won't see a bench much less first team.

To be number five relegate you to the reserve team. How many strikers can you field in a game? playing in Carlington cup team for 10 minutes is not very encoraging either. That is when they rest the main players so at this point he has a lot to prove. Did you realise that been in that situation many players can lose their confidence?

Shelton was very hot and he needs to keep on playing, not to be on the bench. As I say this team will be scoring an average of 2 goals a game without Shelton so his chances will be LIMITED.

Tilla the world not as round as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post

You're not suggesting he goes to Division 3 (level below the Championship) or Division 4 (still another leg down), are you?

Shelton as does Fuller just need to add 'brain power' to their already appreciable gifts.
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                                Sass: I did not want to say it, but yuh argument weak. The season is long and adding Beattie gives the man depth in the strikers position along with added quality. You talking like a man who would move your boy from Munro because he cannot come first in his class because too much bright summady deh deh.

Anyway, reading the comments of the fans, they think there are six strikers worth talking about in their club. In checking the clubs roster, there are actually eight, but two are 21, similar age as Shelton. The fact is, Shelton is ahead on them in the pecking order and is considered one of their six main strikers.

I decided to see if 6 strikers was too many for teams in the Championship, considering they will play 48 league games, plus Carling and FA Cup matches. When you factor in suspension, injuries, loss of form, illness and international call ups, 6 strikers are not a lot. So OK, I took a look at the amount of strikers in each of the 24 Championship teams and here are my findings:
                                Teams Strikers
                                1. Barnsley - 6
                                2. Blackpool United - 5
                                3. Bristol City - 6
                                4. Burnley - 7
                                5. Crystal Palace - 7
                                6. Cardiff City - 7
                                7. Charlton - 7
                                8. Colchester United - 5
                                9. Coventry City - 9
                                10. Hull City - 7
                                11. Ipswich Town - 6
                                12. Leicester City - 9
                                13. Norwich City - 6
                                14. Plymouth Argyle - 8
                                15. Preston NE - 6
                                16. Queens Park Rangers - 8
                                17. Scunsthorpe United - 6
                                18. Stoke City - 6
                                19. Sheffield United - 8
                                20. Sheffield Wednesday - 7
                                21. Southampton - 7
                                22.Watford - 8
                                23. West Bromwich Albion - 6
                                24. Wolverhampton Wanderers - 7

As you can see, 6 to 8 strikers in a team is not outside the norm in a Championship side. Also, Luton has settled at this club since January and now know his team mates as well as the coach and what is expected at that club. The club and coach have an idea of what he has to offer. It would be foolish trying to move his to another Championship side where he would have to go start over getting himself established in the pecking order.

As I said in my previous post in another thread on the subject, unless you are suggesting that he goes to a League 1 or league 2 team, any where he goes in the Championship it is going to be the same thing.

BTW, tell me which one of the 24 you would suggest he go to?
                                Good argument, sah!

Shelton just needs to add 'brain power' to his other talents!

Comment

Working...
                                X