• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxhill was rejected, claims Horace Reid

Boxhill was rejected, claims Horace Reid

By Howard Walker Observer writer
    Saturday, August 11, 2007

Horace Reid, the former General Secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), has launched a scathing attack on Crenston Boxhill and Burchell Gibson, alleging that they are being "disingenuous and less than truthful".

Boxhill, the JFF president, dropped a bombshell by announcing that he will not be seeking re-election when the Voting Congress opens in November, citing that the process has been compromised by Captain Horace Burrell's sponsorship of the majority of the parish associations.
    But Reid was quick to point out that Boxhill was handed a major rejection by the football fraternity and "suggestions to the contrary is nothing but a smoke screen away from the real issues surrounding his stewardship of Jamaica's football over the past four years".

On Tuesday, August 7, the JFF announced that nominations for the positions of president, vice-presidents, treasurer and ex-officio officer had opened.
    And according to Reid, Boxhill would have had a real difficulty gaining nomination for the post of president of the JFF because within 48 hours of the opening of the nominations, 11 of the 13 parish associations nominated Burrell for the position.
    According to the JFF By-laws, all the candidates would have to be nominated by at least three persons from three parish associations, a rule which Reid thinks forced Boxhill to stand down.

But JFF General Secretary Burchell Gibson was quoted as saying that up to 5:00 pm Thursday, less than 50 per cent of the nominations had been submitted, for which he earned the wrath of Reid as well.

Said Reid: "It is important to reiterate that 11 parish associations submitted the aforementioned nominations within 48 hours of the notice, therefore, for the General Secretary to suggest that not more than 50 per cent of the parish associations submitted nominations, he seems to be less than truthful and consequently, his integrity in managing the nomination and election process has been brought into question".

When contacted for a response to Reid's allegations, Gibson defended his position sternly. "I will stick to the facts. There is only one secretariat and I don't need to
    hide anything".
    "I will not be drawn into any cass-cass," he told Sporting World yesterday.

ESTABLISHING THE FACTS

Reference is being made to newspaper articles in the Jamaica Observer and the Jamaica Gleaner, dated today, 10th August, 2007 and in relation to the declaration by the President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Mr Crenston Boxhill, stating that he would not be seeking re-election to office at the November 4, 2007 JFF Voting Congress. I respectfully submit that Mr Boxhill, at best. is being very disingenuous.

It is important to put things into perspective and also to establish the sequence of events. The Captain's Bakery Limited sponsorship of football has dated back to more than a decade ago, and commenced with women's football. The support was extended 3 years ago with the sponsorship of six Parish Major League competitions, a well-established fact known to Mr Boxhill and the general public.

Only last Saturday, 4th August, The JFF President when quizzed about his re-election strategies by a Jamaica Gleaner reporter, LeVaughn Flynn, in an article in the Gleaner headlined "Boxhill glows as U-20s medal finish manifests JFF's goal", was quoted:
    "I have given a lot of thought to it (election), as to what exactly my plans are as it relates to the strategies and all of that, as time unfolds my plans will unfold also."

On Tuesday, 7th August, the JFF announced to all its affiliates the opening of nominations for the positions of: President, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Vice-Presidents, Treasurer and ex-Officio Officer. The close of nomination is 5th September, 2007.

Within forty eight hours of the opening of nominations, eleven of the thirteen Parish Associations nominated Captain Horace Burrell for the position of President of the JFF. Included in the eleven are St Elizabeth, St Catherine, Hanover and Trelawny. These four parish associations are not sponsored by the Captain's Bakery Ltd. In order to be nominated to any of the afore-mentioned positions at the JFF, a candidate must secure nominations from at least three parish associations. Obviously, with eleven of thirteen nominating Captain Burrell, Mr Boxhill would have had a real difficulty gaining nomination for the post of president of the JFF.

It is important to reiterate that all eleven parish associations submitted the afore-mentioned nomination within forty eight hours of the notice sent out by the JFF. Therefore, for the General Secretary of the JFF to suggest that not more than 50 % of the parish associations submitted nominations up to last evening, he seems to be less than truthful, and consequently, his integrity in managing the nomination and election process has been brought into question.

Also of emphasis, Mr Boxhill was unable to secure a nomination from Trelawny, the parish association of his most senior vice-president. Further, as far as I'm aware, Mr Boxhill has failed to secure nominations from Portland, the parish association of his General Secretary, as well as the KSAFA.
    I conclude therefore, and respectfully submit, that Mr Boxhill has been handed a major rejection by the football fraternity and any suggestion to the contrary, is nothing but a smoke screen away from the real issues surrounding his stewardship of Jamaica's football over the past four years. Now is indeed a good a time as any, for the JFF President to demonstrate his proclaimed love for the good of the sport, by making a dignified exit from the JFF arena.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Boxhill rejected? Reid refutes Jamaica Football Federation(JFF) president's reason for not contesting next election
    published: Saturday | August 11, 2007

LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

Boxill and Burrel - File Photos

Former general secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Horace Reid, has challenged the reason put forward by JFF president Crenston Boxhill for not seeking re-election at the next voting congress, that will be held on November 4, 2007, in Hanover.

Late Thursday evening, Boxhill cited the division in the football fraternity and the constant undermining of his administration by Captain Horace Burrell as his reasons for stepping down.

Boxhill said he also felt the voting process would be "compromised" because of the "sponsorship of the majority of the parish associations by one of the candidates", referring to Burrell.

However, Reid contends that Boxhill is stepping down because he does not have enough support among the delegates.

The rules state that at least three parish football associations must nominate each candidate.

But in a statement released to the media yesterday, Reid declared: "Within 48 hours of the opening of nominations (on Tuesday), 11 of the 13 parish associations nominated Captain Horace Burrell for the position of president of the JFF."

Reid added: "Obviously, with 11 of the 13 nominating Captain Burrell, Mr. Boxhill would have had a real difficulty gaining nomination for the post of president," added Reid.

The statements by Reid could not be confirmed as Boxhill is off the island and general secretary Burchell Gibson was indirect in his response when questioned by The Gleaner.

Gibson said Reid's claim that 11 parish associations had nominated Captain Burrell by Thursday evening is misleading.

He, however, would not reply when asked how many parish associations had nominated Captain Burrell.

REBUTTED

In his media release, Reid rebutted Boxhill's statement about Burrell's sponsorship by pointing out that the Captain's Bakery sponsors the major league competition of only six parish associations.

"Included in the 11 (that nominated Burrell) are St. Elizabeth, St. Catherine, Hanover and Trelawny. These four parish associations are notsponsored by the Captain's Bakery Ltd.," Reid noted.

He also said the lack of faith the parishes have in Boxhill is emphasised by him failing to secure the vote of Trelawny, which is run by Linnell McLean, first vice-president of the JFF.

Portland and Kingston and St. Andrew are the associations yet to nominate a president and they have up to September 5.

PLANS

Last Friday, Boxhill was quoted in The Gleaner as saying: "I have given a lot of thought to it (election), as to what exactly my plans are as it relates to the strategies and all of that. As time unfolds my plans will unfold also."

This, Reid says, is proof Boxhill was contemplating contesting the election but stepped down when he realised he had no support.

"Mr. Boxhill has been handed a major rejection by the football fraternity and any suggestion to the contrary is nothing but a smokescreen away from the real issues surrounding his stewardship of Jamaica's football over the past four years," he said.

More Sport

E-mail this story

Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Damn!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

sigh

let's just hope we will quickly get back to putting football first.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Damn!
          Double damn.

Comment

This is what the TTFF needs. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have an electoral process to vote out Jack Warner.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
              Within forty eight hours of the opening of nominations, eleven of the thirteen Parish Associations nominated Captain Horace Burrell for the position of President of the JFF. Included in the eleven are St Elizabeth, St Catherine, Hanover and Trelawny. These four parish associations are not sponsored by the Captain's Bakery Ltd.
              "Captain Burrell, through his Captain's Bakery, is the major sponsor of leagues in at least six parish associations - Manchester, St Ann, Clarendon, St Mary, St Thomas and the Western Confed, which comprises Westmoreland, Hanover, St James and Trelawny - as well as the Knockout competitions in a few of these parish associations." - according to the Observer.

So, who is being disingenuous now?

Sorry to get further into the cass-cass, but I hope it is proving my point that we need to focus once again. The tribalism has got to stop. No need for Burrell and Reid to be getting into this. I hope they will spend some time planning for the good of the sport.
              Last edited by Mosiah; August 11, 2007, 10:40 AM. Reason: error in citing source

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah: You are trying very hard to be A MODERATE.

Good start!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Boxhill was rejected by the parish associations, and he is clearly looking for a face saving exit. Any planning by Burrell & company shall be far superior than the pathetic failures of Boxhill.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

So What?

A Jamaican judge would reason that he sponsored The Western Confed not the Hanover or Trelawny and the fact the Hanover or Trelawny are part of The Western Confed is irrelevant.

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    "Captain Burrell, through his Captain's Bakery, is the major sponsor of leagues in at least six parish associations - Manchester, St Ann, Clarendon, St Mary, St Thomas and the Western Confed, which comprises Westmoreland, Hanover, St James and Trelawny - as well as the Knockout competitions in a few of these parish associations." - according to the Observer.

So, who is being disingenuous now?

Sorry to get further into the cass-cass, but I hope it is proving my point that we need to focus once again. The tribalism has got to stop. No need for Burrell and Reid to be getting into this. I hope they will spend some time planning for the good of the sport.
                    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Whatever, HL. But nothing has changed. I have long said that Boxhill has lost my support, but I also said that I did not want to see Burrell back in the position. That has not changed.

I certainly don't like how this has all happened, but the time for a united football fraternity is long overdue. I don't believe you will have the tribalism from Boxhill dem as we have had since Burrell lost the election, so maybe football will be the winner.

Moderate?! Maybe I have always been because my views on Jamaica's football have not flinched one bit.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree he was rejected and that was the story I first received so I did not buy that reason he was offering. But if Reid wants to deal with honesty, then let's deal with honesty. It would appear that Reid himself has some challenges in that regard.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Whatever, HL. But nothing has changed. I have long said that Boxhill has lost my support, but I also said that I did not want to see Burrell back in the position. That has not changed.

I certainly don't like how this has all happened, but the time for a united football fraternity is long overdue. I don't believe you will have the tribalism from Boxhill dem as we have had since Burrell lost the election, so maybe football will be the winner.

Moderate?! Maybe I have always been because my views on Jamaica's football have not flinched one bit.
                          Tribalism?
                          What tribalism?
                          Boxhill only had to perform and Burrell would have been history.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

But if Reid wants to deal with honesty, then let's deal with honesty. It would appear that Reid himself has some challenges in that regard.
                            When dem tek over, a lot is expected.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

The tribalism that seems to linger even while Burrell and his team are headed back to the JFF. What is Reid on about now?

Karl, unfortunately there is something to be said about being at ground zero. You cannot stay at your Florida mansion and know what is really taking place in Jamaica. Be in stands at a Reggae Boyz game, attend some practice sessions at UWI, in other words BE HERE! You and Lazie believe you can really take the political and footballical pulse from across the waters. You can't!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X