X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vidic shrugs off Mourinho claim

Vidic shrugs off Mourinho claim

By Mandeep Sanghera

Vidic proved himself as one of the best defenders in the Premier League last season

Nemanja Vidic has rebuffed Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho's claim that Manchester United are under more pressure than the Blues because of their summer spending.

Premier League champions United have spent in the region of £50m, while Chelsea have forked out £13m.

"I don't think so," United defender Vidic told BBC Sport when asked about Mourinho's suggestion.
    "Chelsea have also brought in players, along with Liverpool and everyone else. It doesn't mean anything."

United have signed 20-year-old winger Nani and Brazilian midfielder Anderson, 19, along with experienced England international Owen Hargreaves and keeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Argentine forward Carlos Tevez, 23, is also expected to complete his move to Old Trafford from West Ham.

Chelsea may not have spent as big as United in the transfer window so far but they have drafted in defender Tal Ben Haim, striker Claudio Pizarro and midfielder Steve Sidwell on free transfers.

And Mourinho recently said: "Manchester United's spending is something that we don't control, we don't want to control - we don't comment, we don't want to comment.
    "But when we spent some millions, everybody pointed at us as the team with more responsibility to win."

However, the 25-year-old Vidic said: "We have bought young players for the future.
    "I remember when I came to England, I needed a couple of months to get used to the league."

We need to improve and play better to win again this season because I'm sure it will be hard

Nemanja Vidic

Serbian international Vidic was one of the main reasons his side claimed the Premier League title last season as his central defensive performances earned him plenty of plaudits.

He knows the size of the task facing United as they bid to regain the title and go for Champions League glory but believes the new signings have made the Old Trafford squad even better.

"We have bought more players and I think the team is stronger than last season," he said. "We have also had one more season together.

"We need to improve everywhere. If you want to win the league and go to the final of the Champions League you need to improve everybody and that includes me.
    "We need to take one step more to be better this season If we stay the same as last season that is not good."
    He added: "Last season was my first full season and I learnt a lot.
    "Now I know where I need to improve, where my weaknesses are and my strengths. All the time players can improve and you need to work."

Vidic says it is imperative to start the season well in a title race which many expect to be more open this season. "Teams like Chelsea, Arsenal and, especially Liverpool, have bought new players," said Vidic. "They want to improve. Last season we won the championship but we know Chelsea are desperate to win and also Liverpool. "We need to improve and play better to win again this season because I'm sure it will be hard."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

GUNNERS an afterthought?

Watch wi!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X