Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 World Cup. Did you know

VAR will be used in all 64 matches?

The video assistant referee team has access to 33 broadcast cameras, eight of which are super slow-motion and four of which are ultra slow-motion cameras. In addition, they have access to two offside cameras. These two cameras are only available to the video assistant referee team. For the knockout phase two additional ultra slow-motion cameras will be installed one behind each goal that will also be available to the VAR team.

https://football-technology.fifa.com...ser+-+FIFA.com

#getitright
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Well, the game is evolving. This has been coming and expected.

Only the EPL know-it-all who have not accepted this outcome of the game. They have voted it down in next season games. They will catch up.

I have seen it first hand in MLS...and think its the way to go.

Only drawback is the lag-time in the decision making.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
      Well, the game is evolving. This has been coming and expected.

Only the EPL know-it-all who have not accepted this outcome of the game. They have voted it down in next season games. They will catch up.

I have seen it first hand in MLS...and think its the way to go.

Only drawback is the lag-time in the decision making.
      Lag time? How about calling the players back to the pitch during halftime for a penalty?

Bundesliga players called back to pitch for penalty in half-time amid VAR chaos

https://www.theguardian.com/football...burg-var-chaos
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

VAR is certainly not a panacea.

I have seen its ugly underbelly too.

With time, some kinks will be worked out--and it will become the norm.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
          VAR is certainly not a panacea. I have seen its ugly underbelly too. With time, some kinks will be worked out--and it will become the norm.
          Part of the problem is that FIFA is myopic and downright arcane with their understanding of technology. For them - and most of the viewing public - technology IS video! That is NOT the only form of technology available. Secondly, they are trying to apply technology to solve problems that technology is not necessarily best equipped to solve. Tech (imo) is great for BLACK & WHITE decisions, e.g. ball crossing the line, hand ball (i.e. did the ball touch the hand), was the player in an offside position, etc. However, these are not necessarily best solved with VAR. There are other technologies available, such as chip-enabled balls and gears that solve some of these problems.

What technology positively SUCKS at is making JUDGEMENT calls. This is where VAR has gone off the rails. The implementation has been such that it has slowed down the game, a third rail in my opinion, and totally unnecessary too because (in MLS anyway) the ref is the one looking at the video (not sure if that will happen at WCup). In the "olden days", if the ref was unsure, he consulted his linesman. There was no luxury of anything but trusting the fellow's opinion. VAR should work this way as well. There is no need for the ref to see the video if he trusts the VAR in the booth. Anyway - it is a joke the way this organization works. Run by dinosaurs.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Working...
          X