X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beattie to Sheffield

Sheff Utd land Beattie and Carney

Beattie has been persuaded to drop into the Championship

Sheffield United have signed Everton's James Beattie in a £4m deal and also completed a swoop for Sydney FC's Australian international David Carney.
    Both players were paraded on the Bramall Lane pitch before the friendly against Nottingham Forest.
    Blades' boss Bryan Robson was pleased to persuade 29-year-old Beattie to drop into the Championship.
    He said: "I'm delighted. We've got a strike force now that ranks as the best in the Championship."
    Robson is convinced Beattie can form a strong partnership up front with fellow summer recruit Billy Sharp.
    Robson added: "It's a signal of our intention to return to the top flight."
    Beattie told BBC Radio Sheffield he was hoping to only spend one season in the Championship.
    He said: "I've been very impressed with the manager and the chairman. It's an ambitious club and I'm confident I can help them make a swift return to the top flight.
    "Twelve months ago I was starting a new season as Everton's leading goalscorer, but last season was a nightmare.
    "If the manager doesn't fancy you anymore you get frozen out and that's what happened to me but life goes on.
    "I've never played outside the Premier League so it's a challenge coming here. I've got 81 goals in the top flight so hopefully I can some Championship goals to that "
    Beattie has suffered a frustrating time at Goodison Park since his move two years ago.
    He arrived on the back of a successful spell at Southampton, where he had broken into the England squad.
    606: DEBATE

Are all Blades fans totally against this move as this is the general opinion I seem to be reading

SB

His 76 appearances for Everton, including 51 starts, have brought him just 13 goals and he has fallen down the pecking order.
    Carney, a 23-year-year-old midfielder, impressed Robson with his performances in the recent Asia Cup and is believed to have signed a three-year contract. He told BBC Radio Sheffield after completing a £50,000 deal: "This is a great move for me. I reckon I need a couple of weeks training before I'm fully fit but I can't wait to get going. Hopefully I can help the Blades bounce straight back to the Premiership. "A lot of people wanted me to stay in Australia but if I want to better my career this is the place to be."

EVERTON
    Your say - 606
    Weather
    BBC Where I Live - Liverpool
    Official club website

SEE ALSO

Moyes dismisses Beattie sale talk
    27 Dec 06 | Everton
    Beattie completes Everton switch
    04 Jan 05 | Everton

RELATED BBC LINKS:

Blades fans' views on 606
    BBC Radio Sheffield audio
    Sheffield weather
    BBC Sport Championship

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:

Sheffield United

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Sheffield seems to be building a side to get back into the EPL. Smart move if you ask me.

Assassin, I see you worried that Shelton is not going to get game under Robson. I see where in the practice match with Nottingham Forest yesterday, Shelton started and was subbed in th e78th minute.

Frankly, I do not see what you are worrying about as Shelton alone cannot play the striker role for the team and even if they bring in others, there are a lot of games for different strikers to get used. When you factor in injuries and suspensions, a coach would be a fool having Premiership aspirations and only put his trust in two or three strikers. Depth has its place in any good team.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I wonder will da signing of Beattie....will our man get enuff games to establish himself ?
      "Stand in love, don't fall in love" Stephen Marley

Comment

Tilla all I am saying is I consider Shelton better than any of the strikers there execpt James Beattie when on top of his form and if he is going to be a 3rd or 4th striker and not getting any game it would be better to take a 1 month loan and play with another side that will give him starts in the same division. If any of those strikers go down then the can recall him.

I definately believe Shelton should be starting in the Championship league and not be a bench player at this time of his career for any championship side.

Was this a first team game? I don't see John Stead, and others starting with the second team and that is a concern and make me wonder if they have the faith in him. Rumour has it they are going after a Celtic striker and Stead is been watched by a Premiership side.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Luton score 2 and set up one in the reserves yesterday. I can't seem to cut and paste their page.

Tilla what makes me mad is the fact that Sheffield is more interested in buying their way to the premiership and it makes me wonder if Robson believe in the youth's development or just buy another big name was up forward. They have Hulse who is their leading scorer last year, John Stead who they seem to have nuff faith in as he came in same time with Luton and he got all the start over him and now James Beattie who have premiership rep even though he maybe washed up.

Luton is back to form and I bet you if he sit on the bench for the first month or two then Phil Graham going to get him a loan move for a month or so, so he can prove himself in the division.

Comment

Luton is back to form and I bet you if he sit on the bench for the first month or two then Phil Graham going to get him a loan move for a month or so, so he can prove himself in the division.
            Phil Graham is a piece of. . . Let me stop there.

It was because of Claude Davis why Shelton ended up with SU, not through the instrumentality of Phil Graham. Had it been up to Phil, Shelton would have landed with a D3 side like Tappa and Pepe did.

Tappa and Pepe were wasted in those lower leagues and it goes to show that going to a lower division in England is not necessarily a stepping stone for some of our players.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Who took him to Burnley?

Tilla that is not true. Who took Bibi to Bolton and JJ. The fact that there was no demand for 27 year old players from team in these division. If you notice Graham get better price for younger players in higher divisions.

Comment

Working...
              X