Is Luton Shelton injured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Luton Shelton injured?

Have been checking the Blades news and there is no mention of him. They play a friendly game today and he isn't even on the bench.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Apparently not! He played on July 24th.

Billy Sharp netted his first goal for Sheffield United since he signed from S****************horpe United as the Blades beat Irish side Longford Town 1-0.

Longford Town 0-1 Sheffield United
    Tuesday, 24 July 2007
    Sheffield United manager brought in eight changes including Billy Sharp who's 14th minute header was enough to ensure a fourth win on the trot during there pre-season campaign.
    United soon were on the attack; with the quick pace of Luton Shelton surpassing the Town defence before unleashing a shot wide of the mark.
    Chris Lucketti used his defensive skills to good measure as the Irishmen brought on there first attack of the night - Mooney then saw his 20 yard effort collected off the floor by Ian Bennett.
    However the Longford back four fell apart on 14th minute when United took the lead, Keith Gillespie floated in an inch perfect cross to the unmarked Sharp who's defiling header flew past a stranded Kelly.
    Both sides looked dangerous and Mooney failed to hit the target on several occasions for the home side but it was the Blades Leigh Bromby who would find the next chance. Gillespie again flew in a free-kick and Bromby was unfortunate not to hit the target as it glanced wide.
    Geoff Horsfield was sensational upfront but couldn't find any scoring opportunities whilst Matthew Kilgallon saw his header saved from another Gillespie cross. Chris Armstrong, Alan Quinn and Kilgallon all had chances but failed to score in this entertaining game.
    And, right on the stroke of half-time Sharp found skill and courage to weave past several Town players to fire a shot which was just palmed away by keeper Kelly.
    Shelton then sped down the flank after the brake and substitute keeper Dempsey stopped his effort. Town were then unlucky not to level the score when Mooney's shot cannoned off the inside of the bar and Lucketti desperately cleared when Deegan looked likely to capitalise on an empty net.
    Longford flung on a string of attacks late on but failed to score in this entertaining game which saw an attendance of 1,600. The Blades next travel to Portadown.
    Longford Town: Kelly (Dempsey h-t), Sullivan, Prunty, Brennan, O'Riordan (Kelly 66), Duffy (Wexler 79), Deegan, Freeman (Lynch 87), Martin (Docherty h-t), Mooney (James 66), Baker (Reilly 9). Unused: Rojas, Kennedy.
    Sheffield United: Bennett; Bromby, Lucketti, Kilgallon, Armstrong; Gillespie, Ashmore. A Quinn (Leigertwood 64),Shelton; Horsfield (Naysmith 67), Sharp. Unused: Morgan, Kenny, Stead, Webber, Tonge, Geary.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

He also played yessiday.

Portadown 0-2 Sheffield United
      Story by Jimmy Muir
      30 July 2007

Sheffield United competed there tour of Northern Ireland with a two-nil victory over Portadown, but had to wait until last five minutes before they opened the scoring.

Portadown 0-2 Sheffield United
      Saturday, 28 July 2007
      The tour of Ireland which has seen them face Newry Town (W 3-1) and Longford Town (W 1-0) and both fall to the hands of a strong United side.
      Portadown also fell victim but the Blades had to wait five minutes until the end when Chris Armstrong fired the Blades in front before James Ashmore sealed the victory.

Egyptian Ahmed Fathi saw his first action in the Blades pre-season whilst United once again fielded Newry Town skipper Richard Clarke who hopes to earn a deal at Bramall Lane.

With an attendance or around 700 the game began and United got off to a good start, Chris Lucketti saw his chance missed when he headed down Chris Armstrong's deep cross.

Billy Sharp saw his volley cleared off the line and his follow up was pushed onto the bar by keeper Miskelly and Michael Tonge failed to send the ball home in the scramble.

In tenth minute Sharp should have done better with his chance but after a on-two with Jonathan Stead the former S****************horpe United forward hurried his shot under a challenge.

Portadown hit back straight away but the visitors did enough to prevent a Irish attack and Armstrong headed a Derek Geary cross straight at the keeper.

The Blades then spurred three chances as United were getting into a good rhythm; Stead's shot was blocked before Geary fired straight at the keeper before Stead headed over the top with Gary Naysmith and Armstrong penetrating down the left.

On the 25th minute mark in a moment of stupidity Portadown man Collins struck out at Stead and the referee ordered him to be substituted.
      At half-time United made three chances with Chris Luckket, Jonathan Stead and Billy Sharp exiting the field to be replaced by Matthew Kilgallon, Luton Shelton and Danny Webber.

Fathi, who returned from a back injury and bravely tried a half volley only to see it fly over the top. Portadown saw some confidence and McKeown got his head to the ball but his effort lacked pace to trouble Ian Bennett.
      Mikele Leigertwood replaced Michel Tonge in the 63rd minute to allow guest player Richard Clarke to move more freely up front. Naysmith hammered in crosses which both Fathi and Clarke saw there shots blocked, whilst Armstrong saw his shot closed down by MisKelly after\ Shelton put him through.

Jamaican international Shelton headed over from a Geary cross but did much better shortly after when he short from 30 yards for the keeper to save.

With five minutes left United finally finished off a chance with a goal, Armstrong fired home at the second attempt after Alan Quinn linked with him.

And moments later the score line was complete when Ashmore hammered home a volley from 15 yards after Gary Naysmith crossed.

Portadown: Miskelly, Close, McKeown, Marks, Redman, Boyle (Teggart 76), Collins (McCann 25), Hagan Topley 37), Clarke, McCutcheon (McCullough 85), Braniff (Magill 70). Unused: Teggart, Magill, Liggett, O'Hara.

Sheffield United: Bennett; Geary, Morgan, Lucketti (Kilgallon h-t), Naysmith; Fahti (Ashmore 74), Clarke (Quinn 74), Tonge Leigertwood 63), Armstrong; Stead (Shelton h-t), Sharp (Webber h-t). Subs: Kilgallon, Leigertwood, Ashmore, A Quinn.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Bryan Robson don't fancy him, it's quite obvious.....he'll have to win over him over......maybe ah few bottles of red stripe beers could do da trick.
        "Stand in love, don't fall in love" Stephen Marley

Comment

Bryan Robson don't fancy him, it's quite obvious
          How yuh come to such a conclusion? It is not that obvious to me as Shelton has been getting game, although he is not scoring.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

They played him in a reserves game yesterday and he set one up and scored on in a 4-1 win. The also used a few other first teamers. The info is on Sheffield Reserve team page but I somehow I can't copy it.

He seems to be down the pecking order at the moment and they are trying to get James Beattie in so that don't put a lot of confidence in Luton at the momement.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              They played him in a reserves game yesterday and he set one up and scored on in a 4-1 win. The also used a few other first teamers. The info is on Sheffield Reserve team page but I somehow I can't copy it.

He seems to be down the pecking order at the moment and they are trying to get James Beattie in so that don't put a lot of confidence in Luton at the momement.
              Beatie is a big waste of space. He flatters to deceive.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

When he is in form he is good but he seems to lack confidence for the past 2 seasons. Maybe a new team will do him well but he is not coming on the cheap and I think if they buy him Luton should look a new team as they already have Hulse,(np) who was injured, Jon Stead and another striker so if Beatie comes in it makes at least 4 or 5 strikers.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

he played yesterday on second team.

look down below.

Comment

Memba seh season long and with injuries etc, you never know what will happen. Shelton just have to prove himself when he gets the opportunity.

Comment

yeah but been the 4th striker down the peking order is not good for someone of Luton quality, when other teams in the same division is looking for strikers. Fuller at Southampton proved that as he went on loan at Stokes and haven't look back since. Shelton has too much quality to be sitting on bench long term in the championship league.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                        Memba seh season long and with injuries etc, you never know what will happen. Shelton just have to prove himself when he gets the opportunity.
                        I read where James Beatie is on his way there.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          yeah but been the 4th striker down the peking order is not good for someone of Luton quality, when other teams in the same division is looking for strikers. Fuller at Southampton proved that as he went on loan at Stokes and haven't look back since. Shelton has too much quality to be sitting on bench long term in the championship league.
                          I agree with you there. He hasn't proven himself yet, therefore he needs to be with a team that is going to give him lots of playing time. He needs to build on his confidence and technique. His amazing speed alone puts him ahead of most, so all he needs right now is to start scoring some goals. But he needs the opportunity. Beatie nor Fuller hasn't done much in recent years, yet Beatie is still able to command a transfer fee of 4m. This is strictly based upon name and experience. Shelton had better buckle down and put in the hard work to impress the coach.
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

or request a loan because as the season go on some team in the divison will need a good quality striker. I trust Phil Graham(his agent) maybe already sizing up the situation as he wants to increase on his asset.

Comment

I am still not sure there is anything to worry about. Anywhere he goes he will need to prove himself, especially if it is with a progressive club. A club with four strikers is not really overstocked in that position. I think Shelton should stay and fight for his game as chances are if he goes to another club, he is going to face the same battle.

Comment

Working...
                              X