Adu in Portugal, set to sign for Benfica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adu looking to play "natural position" with Benfica

Freddy Adu's off to Europe later this week, still the center of attention and ready to be in the center of the field.

"I can't wait to get started," said Adu, who's moving from Real Salt Lake to 31-time Portuguese champion Benfica for a $2 million transfer fee. "Coach made it clear that I'll be a pretty big part. If they're going to spend that kind of money on someone, they're going to showcase them."

To Adu, that means allowing him to play his natural position, the central attacking midfielder. That's the position that earned him praise and attention as a youth, interest from Italy's Inter Milan at age 10 and an early call to the U.S. under-17 national team.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Comment

Freddy’s Blog - I LOOOOOVE Portugal!

Things are finally done, I have officially signed with Benfica! I can not even tell you how happy I am…I have tears in my eyes writing this blog right now. Playing for a BIG club Europe has been a lifelong dream of mine and it’s finally happened. Wow, I’m speechless right now. I’ve said publicly many times that I wanted to go to Europe after 4 years in the MLS, and I was able to accomplish that in 3 and a half years. It just makes me happy to know that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to, even when people were down on me and were saying negative things.

(continue)
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

Freddy too lazy and spoilt.

Comment

Just be happy for the yout.

I took a quick look on his Freddy's web-site and noticed that hundreds of fans are welcoming him to his new 'home'.

It is a good habit to be happy for the success of others...even our enemies.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Quite happy that he got out of MLS.

He still needs to stop the spoilt brat behavior.

Comment

Working...
            X