X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's capitalise on the young Boyz's achievement

Let's capitalise on the young Boyz's achievement

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Despite the disappointment of not winning the gold medal at the Pan American Games in Brazil yesterday, the young Reggae Boyz have hopefully ignited a resurgence of growth and belief in our national football programme.

For the team's performance is a clear indication of what can be achieved when there is a confluence of purpose, determination and talent. Surely, it would have been nice to win the gold medal, but having reached the final game to vie for the gold is an achievement in itself.

Along the way to yesterday's dramatic final showdown against Ecuador, Jamaica were able to record their first ever competitive win over football powerhouse Argentina.

The Jamaica Football Federation must now use the obvious momentum of the silver in Brazil to reignite what we believe is a sagging national programme. The country has slid precipitously down the international rankings, surely making it difficult for the Federation to attract some of the more popular teams to play friendly internationals and, as a direct result, there is bound to be a negative impact on the coffers of the association.

Following the high and almost delusionary moments of Jamaica's qualification for France 1998, we have watched the steady decline of our international footballing status. We failed to capitalise on the thrust then by putting in place the necessary structures in order to create and perpetrate a lasting and sustained programme of development at all levels of the game.

We have also noticed the claims and counter-claims by those who want to regain past esteem and those who want to maintain present positions. This 'cass cass' is not only counter-productive, but is also a serious misdirection of energies for those who should know better.

Our football development should not be used as a 'political football' or for personal aggrandisement. For football means too much to many of our young men and women who, through their involvement in the game, have an opportunity to improve their lives. The examples of Ricardo Gardner, Claude Davis, Ricardo Fuller, Jermaine Johnson, Ian Goodsion and others who have made a good living by plying their talents in some of the best leagues in the world, are there for all to see and hopefully follow.
    That is why we so welcome the achievements of the young Boyz in Brazil. It is our fervent hope that those charged with piloting the direction of our football will use the success of Brazil in a positive way.

Our congratulations to coach Wendell Downswell for his tireless work and commitment to cause, and to all the players who again held the gold, green and black with pride and distinction.

Let us therefore bask in the glory of the silver medal, but not for long, as there is still much to do and achieve.
    Last edited by Karl; July 28, 2007, 11:01 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

That is what I am talking about!
    With the right mix of players - continuous match-ready state. have the age-group players...men and women...touring and playing local continuously. ...i.e. "steady diet of quality international matches".
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Pan Am success, great for our football

At the time of writing this column, the finals of the football competition at the 2007 Pan American Games in Brazil would have not yet been played.

However, regardless of the eventual outcome, I believe the team has already done enough to make all of
      Jamaica proud.

In reaching the finals of this prestigious tournament, our young Reggae Boyz, who are assured of at least a silver medal, have added some much needed sheen to our football product, which has been taking an international battering within recent times.

Whether or not we ultimately win the gold medal, I believe this Jamaican team has shown the type of commitment and determination which has been steadily falling out of our football. In fact, in terms of character and self-belief, this team reminded me very much of our France '98 World Cup team.

Surely, in making the finals of such a major tournament which features so many established world powers, I believe our players showed, in no uncertain manner, that our major problem is definitely not an absence of good talent, but more of an inability to properly manage the talent.

pleasantly surprised
      Personally, I must admit that in light of the many administrative weaknesses in national football, this team far exceeded my expectations. In simply matter-of-fact language, they have pleasantly surprised the hell out of me with their victories over world powers such as Argentina, Colombia and Mexico.

When the team left Jamaica for the tournament, even without knowing anything about the opponents, I gave them absolutely no chance of creating an impression. After a string of bad results for our various teams, I just figured it would have been more of the same.

However, having been proven so wrong by this Wendell Downswell-coached team, I want to publicly congratulate them for defying the odds and reminding me that there is still some truth in an old saying of my late father, 'Where there is a will, there is a way'.

Based on my previous writings, I believe most people would have realised by now that I am not a fan of the current Crenston Boxhill-led Jamaica Football Federation. However, I believe this administration should be credited for the investment they have made in exposing this promising crop of players.

Furthermore, I believe most of the credit should go to coach Downswell for picking a 'Jamaican team' and not a collection of players from favoured clubs, which is becoming a norm in national football once again. In fact, I believe the success was largely due to the fact that we were represented by the best under-20 players in the country.

I do hope that the team selection policy for this tournament will be a lesson to the biased coaches, who often use words such as 'blend' and 'chemistry' to cover-up their partiality when they leave out good players for lesser players from the favoured clubs. I have always rejected such arguments and I am glad this team has proven my point.
      With this unit showing the character and talent that champions are made of, it is my hope that every effort will be made to keep this unit intact so that they can grow and develop together for the future. Who knows, this unit might well be the unit to duplicate France '98.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

If it's one thing we Jamaicans are good at it's talking. Blah blah blah blah blah

Comment

Working...
        X