• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those U-20 heros?

Young Boyz take aim at historic gold medal
    CMC
    Thursday, July 26, 2007

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (CMC) - Jamaica's footballers have all to play for tomorrow when they face Ecuador in the final of the football competition at the historic Maracana Stadium.

The game will decide which team will emerge champions at the XV Pan American Games.

Both teams are assured medals, but the Jamaica camp said they are gunning for the gold medal.

Jamaica earned their trip to the football final on Tuesday night when they beat Mexico 5-4 on penalties after the scores were locked 0-0 at full time and extra time.

Hours later, Ecuador had a 1-0 victory over Bolivia, with right back Carlos Delgado scoring.

So far, the Jamaicans have secured three medals overall - a gold from Maurice Smith in the decathlon, a silver from Dorian Scott in the men's shot put and a bronze from boxer Ricardo Smith in boxing.

En-route to the championship decider, the Reggae Boyz registered wins over Colombia (1-0), Argentina (2-0), and Haiti (4-0), to top Group C with a maximum nine points.

Coach Wendell Downswell lauded his team for their determination and resolve during Tuesday's penalty shoot-out but noted that the big game is to come.

"It was an historic result for football in Jamaica. I felt we didn't practise enough before coming here, we only got in three weeks, but we worked on the psychological aspects more than the physical and that brought us through," he said.

"We have all to play for on Friday and we will ensure that we are ready in all departments for what will be a very, very big game for us."

Ecuador's coach Vizuete acknowledged that Jamaica would present a firm challenge and said he would try to blunt the attacking style of play.
    "Jamaica attacks a lot and we have to be careful. Our aim before the Games was to get a medal. Now, we are there and we want gold," Vizuete said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Finally got to watch the match vs Mexico this morning. The boys played with confidence...but, still showed a bit of being naive. The truth is Mexico had the better of play...but, we outplayed them where it mattered most in the penalty-kicks.

My impressions were as individuals we were as good as the Mexicans. As a team we were not quite there...and, that is understandable considering our... - What is it Wendell, 2 weeks or 3 weeks of preparation?

Looking at the boys I get the feeling they have TOP OF THE WORLD potential. I hope the JFF will keep them working together and touring.

BTW - They may just have gotten past the best team in the competition....however, the little pieces of Ecuador I saw suggests the YOUNG REGGAE BOYZ will have to be physically strong. The Ecuadoran players looked strong.

Gold is a distinct possibility.
    Go REGGAE YUTE!
    Last edited by Karl; July 26, 2007, 10:36 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X