X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Goalie

The Goalie
    by Ahmet Guvener, February 23rd, 2017 6:55PM

I started my organized adventure with the beautiful game of soccer at the age of 13 as a goalie. Since I had very limited foot skills and I was in love with game, I started wearing the goalie gloves. Actually very few players wanted to play goalkeeper, so I had very little competition. At best, I was a mediocre goalkeeper. Then years later, I started refereeing without actually thinking why I actually chose both goalkeeping and refereeing. I was a pretty good referee in my 20s and 30s. Then in my late 30s, I turned into managing and training referees.

Many years later, a friend of mine who was also a goalkeeper told me the similarities for both positions. For both positions, you need to have a great sense of self-confidence. For both, you need to forget the critical errors you made and concentrate on the game. For both, when you make a mistake, there is no one to save your soul. You have to learn to live with the consequences of your game-changing errors.

So I still have a great admiration for the men and women who wear the gloves. I think I can empathize with the goalies who let an easy goal in more than others who never wore the gloves. Similarly, I can understand the feelings of a referee who saw an infraction but could not blow the whistle more than the ordinary lovers of the game who never blew a whistle.

A goalie is a special player who can use his/her hands during a soccer match other than taking throw-ins. Laws of the Game Law 3 “The Players” says: “A match is played by two teams, each with a maximum of eleven players; one must be the goalkeeper.” There is no mention of the privileges of the goalkeeper in Law 3. In Law 12, you have the reference to the handling privilege of the goalkeeper with reference to “deliberate handling."

“A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offenses: handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)”

The modern goalkeepers -- at least the better ones -- use their feet as effectively as their hands. One of the best examples of this type of goalkeeping was Taffarel of Brazil. Taffarel started playing as a center forward then became a goalie. There were a number of goalkeepers from Latin America who excelled in scoring goals via free kicks or penalty kicks. Manuel Neuer of Germany is extremely talented with his footwork. He at times plays like a sweeper. In the contemporary development of players, the role of the goalie is not assigned to any player until later in their development. This develops the goalie’s foot-handling skills like passing, dribbling as well as goal tending skills.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...?edition=16867
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X