• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building quality football field @ clubs

Can be done in Ja

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...melbourne-oval
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Good.

Another solution is using drought/disease resistant strain(s) of grass.

Sod farming is still another answer. This is an expensive [business] venture.

But constant maintenance is the key to a good pitch.
    Last edited by HL; February 18, 2017, 01:11 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

That and the water tank for constant irrigation

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Hi HL what do you recommend as a drought resistance strain... Bermuda.? can you play on st agustine or is it too soft. I would say most Jamaican fields are rye base would that be correct>

Comment

Very good question?

I am far from being an expert in this area.

But:

'Drought resistant' is really an incorrect term; there are grass species that are hardy and require less water.

Oftentimes overlooked is the high Nitrogen feeding that these turf require. This is where the "green" comes from. The only purpose of watering is to make the nutrient available to the plant.

I don't know which would be ideal for Jamaican tropical conditions. I would side with that the rye base type grass that you mention.

SIDEBAR:

I am gobsmacked by the high degree of quality pitch achieved 'specially in temperate countries. I think there is a competition in the EPL for best pitch at the end of the season.

They have this turf thing down to a science!

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
            Very good question?

I am far from being an expert in this area.

But:

'Drought resistant' is really an incorrect term; there are grass species that are hardy and require less water.

Oftentimes overlooked is the high Nitrogen feeding that these turf require. This is where the "green" comes from. The only purpose of watering is to make the nutrient available to the plant.

I don't know which would be ideal for Jamaican tropical conditions. I would side with that the rye base type grass that you mention.

SIDEBAR:

I am gobsmacked by the high degree of quality pitch achieved 'specially in temperate countries. I think there is a competition in the EPL for best pitch at the end of the season.

They have this turf thing down to a science!
            Well, you may not be an expert, but, sometimes, some of your posts lead me to believe that you are however, an Xpert...which is not to be confused by the way, with being an X-spurt.
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Hl & Oj

One thing is for sure , the science is there, so for us to lament the quality of fields as if we have no knowledge how to develop and mainatain them is ridiculous , the question that we should be answering, is it cost effective to have them and beneficial ? The latter is of course in the affirmitative. The price quoted in the article is 7 million JMD , which is about 50K plus US , and that field would be about 3 football fields , so a guesstimation would bring it down to $ 15 to 20 K USD for the standard football field size.

The JFF could mandate that clubs/schools meet a certain criteria of having a playing surface to compete in competitions, ways would have to be found to pool resources amongst clubs/ schools to achieve that standard.

http://www.jamaicagolf.com/courses/
              Last edited by Sir X; February 19, 2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Cost is relative, we have a high rate of unemployment so labour can be cheap.
                Our weather is not unique to Mexico and I have seen world class fields in meivp and Peru. Water is the constant factor and topsoil. In Jamaica we have a bad habit of putting marl base on the fields. I am not sure if it's good or bad any ideas

Comment

Another multi field turf establishment! This one is on the 3rd floor of the Dunns Electrical building on red hills road .... Set up is nice but the fencing could use some upgrading ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Turf is an excellent option for Jamaica.

It beats the uneven surface.

Still have to have some natural pitch in the mix.

HL

Comment

Does it beat the cost of a natural grass field,if it doesnt it is a waste of money,from what i am seeing

Competition..................................FieldTurf

Materials: $4.00 per sq. ft. = $320,000,$4.75 per sq. ft.=$380,000

Maintenance:$10,000 x 8 years = $80,000,$5,000 x 10 years= $50,000

Total Cost: $720,000,................................................. .........$750,000

Turf Life: 6-8 years, ................................................ 8-10 years

Comment

Do you really need turf grass can be even too

Comment

Turf is beneficial in northern us and Canada has it extends the playing season.. Usually grass fields are re seeded and c.osed in mid October to late April. So turf allow us to train longer into the fall and depending on weather open in March. It does provide predictable surface but I see more knee and ankle injury on turf with 16 year old son.

Comment

much better turf than football factory...have you seen the turf at ballaz?

Comment

http://www.turfgrasssod.org/pages/co...pes-of-grasses

Comment

Working...
                              X