Assasin!!!.......Regarding your objection to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assasin!!!.......Regarding your objection to

U.S. Soccer's new rules for heading, in youth soccer.
    I pointed out that they had to make the changes or face a class action law suit.......Now -
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/as-conc...191418955.html

This new study from the United Kingdom, gives more ammunition to those who wanted to sue, BUT this time U.S. Soccer was proactive, as they "anticipated" this was coming, and released their Concussion Awareness video the same week.

***U.S. Soccer & MLS/NASL/USL don't want to 1. see a decline in youth participation & 2. spend & loose hundreds of millions of dollars like Pop Warner & USA Football (NFL youth football arm).......About 2 months ago, a new class action law suit was filed against Pop Warner, USA Football and National Operating Committee on Standards Athletic Equipment. This suit could seriously hurt youth football & seriously affect smaller leagues. The N.C.A.A. and colleges have been swept into the legal maelstrom as well.

As I said you know what I see happening? Kids are pulling out of headers, corners making no sense whatsoever and others karate kicking to others head.

I saw one kid been hurt by a karate kick to the head. The fact is US soccer needs to encourage playing the ball on the ground for one, One a field for U10 it is small, not too much heading is going on if the ball game is played right. I think if the US soccer decided that a headgear should be worn by each player U11 and under for protection, most parent would accept.

Like it or not it is spoiling the game for a lot of these kids who are using evasive action rather than proper techniques.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

There Is A Ban On Heading, For Kids U10, So Which Dumb@ss Coaches Are Instructing The Kids To "float" In Corners, When The Ball Can't Be Headed, And If That's A Problem Then Why Isn't The Inept Local/Regional Governing Body Taking Action.......Have The Parents Made A Formal Complaint To The Local/Regional Governing Body About This Problem, That You Have Identified.......If Karate Kicks Are A Problem, Then It's Because The Dumb@ss Coaches Are Poor Teachers Of The Game.

There Is A Ban On Heading, For Kids U10 - If U.s. Soccer Needs To Tell The U10 Coaches That They Should Have The Kids Play The Ball On The Ground, Then Those Dumb@ss Coaches Should Not Be Coaching.......Is There Any Proof That Regulation Headgear Prevents Concussions???

Once Again, If The U10 Kids Can't Effective Play The Game Without Heading, Then Find New Coaches Who Know How To Teach The Game.
      Last edited by USAF; October 31, 2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
        There Is A Ban On Heading, For Kids U10, So Which Dumb@ss Coaches Are Instructing The Kids To "float" In Corners, When The Ball Can't Be Headed, And If That's A Problem Then Why Isn't The Inept Local/Regional Governing Body Taking Action.......Have The Parents Made A Formal Complaint To The Local/Regional Governing Body About This Problem, That You Have Identified.......If Karate Kicks Are A Problem, Then It's Because The Dumb@ss Coaches Are Poor Teachers Of The Game.

There Is A Ban On Heading, For Kids U10 - If U.s. Soccer Needs To Tell The U10 Coaches That They Should Have The Kids Play The Ball On The Ground, Then Those Dumb@ss Coaches Should Not Be Coaching.......Is There Any Proof That Regulation Headgear Prevents Concussions???

Once Again, If The U10 Kids Can't Effective Play The Game Without Heading, Then Find New Coaches Who Know How To Teach The Game.
        Okay - I am a U10 Coach. I am not sure if I qualify as a Dumb@ss U10 coach or not. However, there are a few things that are important to understand:

1. US Soccer should have fought this law suit, but it would have cost them over $1m so they caved.

2. Their position is that the game is to be played with the ball on the ground, so taking heading out (despite their own admission that is not a decision any "soccer guy" would have made) helps to reach this objective.

3. Karate kicks etc. to get the ball are an unintended consequence that the plaintiffs (not being soccer people) did not anticipate. US Soccer now has to determine how they will deal with it. No direction from them yet.

4. Padded head gear will not prevent concussions. They will prevent other forms of head injuries such as abrasions...so not a bad idea to have them. I am anticipating their introduction with cameras - that will make parents buy them and start to film games etc for the kids.

5. Corners, Freekicks, Shots on Goal etc that all are legitimate reasons to strike the ball to head height introduce another set of unintended consequences that the plaintiffs did not anticipate being anti-soccer people. Another one is the indirect kick triggered by a headball foul. A player who heads the ball inside the six yard box is penalized with an indirect free kick at the top of the box. So now the kids are putting up a wall, 10 yards inside the penalty box, and facing an opponent who will blast the ball right at them, most probably at head height. Makes no sense.

My two cents. If they want to introduce "no heading" at U10, they should apply UK 5v5 indoor rules where the ball can't go above shoulder height, or else it's a free kick to the other team. That will reduce the ball going in the air and force coaches to coach keeping the ball on the ground at all times - corner kicks, goal kicks, free kicks etc and possibly improve the kids learning to keep the ball on the ground from a young age.

Fi mi tuppance.

Paul "Dumb@ass" Marin (LOL!!)
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Ask your wise regulators if they anticipated that more punting would take place because of this rule, as on a short u10 field only thing the goalie have to do is punt the ball over the last defender as they can't head the ball and the striker could run onto it The kids realize that. Our coach had to take off a keeper because he wouldn't stop punting the ball.

The fact is you can encourage kids to play the ball on the ground but let me remind you the ball actually bounce. How can you make a blanket statement about Dumass coaches? These are all certified US coaches so what do you make of that certification?

Listen my two sons actually played 6 games the past weekend so I am at the field, what I am telling you is what I observe and I have some playing experience and coaching experience and a US certificate. I actually teach my kids to head the ball, I don't depend on coaches to do that.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Ask your wise regulators if they anticipated that more punting would take place because of this rule, as on a short u10 field only thing the goalie have to do is punt the ball over the last defender as they can't head the ball and the striker could run onto it The kids realize that. Our coach had to take off a keeper because he wouldn't stop punting the ball.

The fact is you can encourage kids to play the ball on the ground but let me remind you the ball actually bounce. How can you make a blanket statement about Dumass coaches? These are all certified US coaches so what do you make of that certification?

Listen my two sons actually played 6 games the past weekend so I am at the field, what I am telling you is what I observe and I have some playing experience and coaching experience and a US certificate. I actually teach my kids to head the ball, I don't depend on coaches to do that.
            Sass - in Florida, we have implemented the restraining line and punts are no longer allowed. Keepers can get attackers to retreat to the restraining line, and are not allowed to drop kick or punt. They can however, put the ball on the ground and smack it in the air, which is why I think they should simply not allow the ball to go above shoulder height and be done with it.
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Aren't you the one that has a problem with what YOU see as a result of the new "no heading rule"??? - Then contact the authorities to make the game BETTER for your kids & those they play with.

Being certified doesn't guarantee that ALL those certified coaches can effectively TEACH the game = Certified Dumb@ss Coaches.

ONCE AGAIN, if the coach cannot effectively TEACH the game, without heading, the get rid of the Dumb@ss.

*Any info on the headgear???

Comment

It would have cost them a LOT more than that ($1M) to fight it. Some of the lawyers on the "other side" worked on the NFL lawsuits, and they were willing to go years, if necessary, to get a favorable result, and then they would go after them big time, for BIG BUCKS.......That's why ALL the youth soccer associations adopted the RULE, despite the fact that U.S. Soccer couldn't force them to implement it.

Comment

There is a thing call natural reaction and usually if the kids can't head the ball, the reaction is karate kicks or pulling out of the way.

You need to watch youth soccer and see the reaction for yourself and then you can truly comment. My club doesn't normally teach kids to play the ball on the ground but that doesn't mean they shouldn't learn to head the ball properly. Anybody can tell you my youths are perfect passer of the ball so they are not included in our argument. I am more scared someone karate kick them rather than them heading the ball because they can do it properly.

When they become 12 you expect them to wake up and head the ball? The head gear help taking some of the impact when you head the ball and that is what is used for.

One thing I can tell you is that I have seen much more karate kicks and sidekicks than ever before which is really dangerous. I have seen a few close miss.

Comment

No need nor desire to watch soccer at that level, again.......Did it with 2 of my sons - youth club, academy, U.S. national youth system (U17), and that's enough for me.

Well, since you're seeing that many "karate & side kicks", in Georgia, someone should start a martial arts school. There might be some future MMA/UFC stars.

Comment

The restraining line sounds like a good idea to me. I think the problem will show up more in two to three years time.

We will see.

Comment

Yes I think the restraining line works fairly well. At first I was totally against the no punting rule, but when put together with the restraining line I see where it helps the young players to learn how to work the ball out of the back. It can be frustrating at times because they will make mistakes and concede some easy goals but at that U10 age it should be all about learning anyway.

As for the header rule, it hasn't been a big deal so far for my daughters team, but perhaps thats because girls at that age are not that inclined to head the ball anyway. However it is a bit confusing for the defending players especially when there is a free kick.
                        Last edited by Islandman; November 1, 2016, 10:35 AM.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          Yes I think the restraining line works fairly well. At first I was totally against the no punting rule, but when put together with the restraining line I see where it helps the young players to learn how to work the ball out of the back. It can be frustrating at times because they will make mistakes and concede some easy goals but at that U10 age it should be all about learning anyway.

As for the header rule, it hasn't been a big deal so far for my daughters team, but perhaps thats because girls at that age are not that inclined to head the ball anyway. However it is a bit confusing for the defending players especially when there is a free kick.
                          That's exactly why they would be better off just saying "ball can't go above the shoulder" - all the problems with the heading thing would be solved. Simple solution with many benefits.

Comment

This re-engineering is going to take some time for me to come to grips with.

Girls will soon not be allowed to chest balls or the slide tackle will be outlawed....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              This re-engineering is going to take some time for me to come to grips with.

Girls will soon not be allowed to chest balls or the slide tackle will be outlawed....
                              Well, change is always challenging. Why you think X get confuse so much? Him change teams every week...tough. Anyway, I really think they have over complicated it. For U11 and below, the objective is simple - "Teach them to play with the ball on the ground and to play possession ball". To do that:

1. Give them room to overcome their age-oriented technical challenges
                              2. Give them "incentives" to keep the ball on the ground

Which leads to:

1.1 The restraining line and
                              2.1 No ball above the shoulder.

As far as the US law suit is concerned, simple - no heading below U12. With 2.1 above, it becomes a non-issue.

My two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X